Experience

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Resentful, Dec 27, 2012.

1. Resentful

Resentful Rookie

Dec 27, 2012

Another thread got me thinking about teaching and experience working with students/minors. Not including student teaching of any kind, I've had about six years experience working with students/minors including babysitting, working in summer camps, tutoring, teaching religious classes, working in daycares, and subbing.

How much experience did you have not including student teaching before landing a teaching job?

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Dec 27, 2012

Other than a few years of being a camp counselor in high school (wouldn't put HS experience on resume), I only had PTO/volunteer experience in my kids' schools plus a bit of subbing.

4. monsieurteacher

monsieurteacher Aficionado

Dec 27, 2012

I had five years of working in a daycare while I went to University...

5. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Dec 27, 2012

After high school graduation and right up until I started my first year teaching, I worked for a local bank.

Two months before I started student teaching, I subbed a few times a week to "get my feet wet." Other than subbing for a couple of months (and student teaching, of course) I didn't really have a lot of experience working with kids (we did, however, have practicum hours during my undergrad years).

I landed my first teaching job right after finishing up student teaching.

6. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Dec 27, 2012

I...

babysat regularly during the summers beginning at age eleven.

taught Children's Church as a teen and worked with VBS.

was a summer school assistant when I was a junior and senior in high school.

worked at the district's preschool and after-school program for four or five years.

subbed while in college.

Oh, and there was our daycare I helped significantly with until it had to close. I've been surrounded by lots of children all my life...I started "teaching" them when I was very young. :)

7. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Dec 27, 2012

None.

In fact, when I started student teaching, I had NEVER worked with kids.

8. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Dec 27, 2012

I did college tutoring when I was in college, but other than that, all of my experience was gotten the year before I started teaching.

Granted, I did my best to get much more experience than the average student teacher. I intern taught rather than student taught, I worked at a number of after-school programs, and I volunteered a lot of time of just observing in a classroom during that year, so that definitely went a long way to increasing my effectiveness as a new teacher.

9. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Dec 27, 2012

A bit of baby sitting but none since freshman year of college.

10. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

Dec 27, 2012

I had a lot of experience with kids, but I honestly feel that being in a classroom is different. One of my favorite experiences was being a camp counselor. I was in the cabin for girls ages 7-9 and lived with them 24/7 for 9 weeks. I loved the job, but the relationship I had with the kids was so different. I was more of a "big sister" in that job than a "teacher."

I worked for 3 years at that camp, I taught swim lessons for 6 years, taught Sunday School for over 7 years, tutored in high school and college, and the summers before I worked at the sleepaway camp I volunteered at girl scout camp and a week long church camp, and VBS at church when I was younger. So I had tons of experience with kids, but like I said the classroom is so different. My college had us doing "field experiences" where we were teaching classes starting our freshman year. I was teaching at least 2 hours a day from my sophomore year and on and got experience at every grade level in my licensure. That experience to me was far more valuable to my career than all of my previous experience of just working with kids.

11. FourSquare

FourSquare Fanatic

Dec 27, 2012

I did 1 year with AmeriCorps working in a 3rd grade classroom. Otherwise, nothing! I don't even have siblings. :lol:

12. blazer

blazer Connoisseur

Dec 28, 2012

Just 7 years as a father!

13. mkbren88

mkbren88 Cohort

Dec 28, 2012

Before landing my teaching job, not including student teaching, I had 11 years experience working with children through babysitting, daycare, nannying, and working in a child crisis center.

14. Ms.SLS

Ms.SLS Cohort

Dec 28, 2012

Babysitting - age 13-18
    Sunday School - high school
    Nanny - 18-22
    Tutoring - college

Loads of kid experience.

15. lucybelle

lucybelle Connoisseur

Dec 28, 2012

I babysat from about 13 or so until 16.
    I coached swimming from 15 on.
    Worked at a youth corps in the woods in college.

16. Resentful

Resentful Rookie

Dec 28, 2012

That sounds like a great college. I think more and more colleges should be like that. My university actually had free daycare on site for the professors. Guess who got to work there? Not the edu majors, but the work studies people. :rolleyes: I get they needed the money, but still. Have them work in the cafe, book store, or something like that. That could have been such a valuable tool to the edu majors. May I ask what college you went to?

17. Enseignante<3

Enseignante<3 Companion

Dec 28, 2012

I always babysat starting at age 11.
    Worked in a preschool during my freshman and sophmore years of college.
    My college also had several field experience classes where we did maybe once or twice a week in a class for a semester. Plus we had a reading practicum class the semester before student teaching.
    After student teaching I started subbing. That led to my LTS last year, and I am currently subbing again.

So, I definitely have had quite a bit of experience with children!