Experience

Discussion in 'General Education' started by amochoa, Jan 11, 2010.

1. amochoa

amochoa Rookie

Jan 11, 2010

This is a question I have recently found myself wondering ever since getting into education.

I have been to several job interviews for many positions preschool, para, subbing, etc. In most of the same position type, yet different school, some said I had enough work related experience but not enough education while others said vice versa.

My question is, when administrators chooce an applicant for a position, which weighs more heavily, education or work experience?

---------------------------
    “Learning is a treasure that will follow its owner everywhere.”

3. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jan 11, 2010

I think it depends on a huge range of things.

Some of it is personal preference. Some may be how established the program already is-- are the other teachers established enough that they can help carry a new teacher if needed? Some of it may be the district-- do more/ more prestigious degrees carry weight with parents? Some of it may be budgetary-- will your degree or experience cost more than the district can afford?

I say you rework your resume to highlight all you have to offer in both areas.

4. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Jan 11, 2010

Alice is right, some districts want and will pay for a teacher with 10 years experience, their budgets will allow it. Other districts are looking for bargain teachers whom they can hire at the bottom of the pay scale.

When you interview focus on your highlights make what you have work for you. Tell them what you're lacking in experience you will more than double in enthusiasm.