Experience with Math Key to Curriculum??

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by hopetoteach, Sep 29, 2012.

1. hopetoteach

hopetoteach Rookie

Sep 29, 2012

Hi Everyone, I am a 6th grade math teacher looking for some advice. Our primary math curriculum is CMP but we are looking for a supplement or perhaps a replacement for our kids who struggle. We constantly have issues with the amount of reading required in CMP and the often challenging wording of the investigations. These kids have reading issues, IEPs, and many are ELL students. I am wondering if anyone has looked at or used the Key To Curriculum (Key to Fractions, Key to Decimals or Key to Algebra)? After a brief review, it looks to me like it is fairly kid friendly, attempts to build conceptual understanding and at the same time eliminates the wordiness around the math. As a result, there don't seem to be a lot of word problems so we may have to supplement.

Does anyone have thoughts?
    Thanks!

3. jamoehope

jamoehope Companion

Oct 2, 2012

I used these books and I loved them! My only complaint was that with SPED kids they usually need more practice and I felt that the lessons were perfectly designed but there wasn't enough practice for the skills per lesson. If I was still using these books and I would design extra lessons for those pages that didn't have enough practice.