Experience vs. Ambition

Discussion in 'General Education' started by wi2boston2wi, Dec 8, 2008.

1. wi2boston2wi

wi2boston2wi Rookie

Dec 8, 2008

Hey all.
    I would like your opinion on something;
    I'm currently in college, working toward my Bachelors Degree in Education. I'm looking into taking classes over the summer. However, if I do this I would be unable to work a full-time summer job that involves children. I've worked at a summer camp the past two summers, currently work at an after-school program at a local school (which I intend to keep throughout my college career) and have worked in several other schools and camps.

Do you think this is enough experience for a teacher? I'd like to get done with school sooner so that I can teach ASAP. Is this a wise choice?

If you were doing the hiring, would you prefer someone who has more experience or someone who was ambitious and got done with school earlier? (I'd try to spin me taking summer courses as being ambitious.)
    Thank you so much for your thoughts!

-Todd

3. Learner4Life

Learner4Life Cohort

Dec 8, 2008

hmmmm... if I were doing the hiring I would want more experience rather than finishing school earlier. MOSTLY because the real world sucks and you should stay in school as long as you can. HA HA just kidding.
    In all seriousness though, working with kids takes lots of experience because every single one of them is so different and the more you work with all the individuals, the more you learn how to deal with the masses.
    That's just my opinion though. I'm wondering what others will say.

4. monsieurteacher

monsieurteacher Aficionado

Dec 8, 2008

I would say you have experience already. Many teachers come out of school with their only experience being their practicum. I spent my first four years of University working part time at an after school program, but during my last year, I ended up needing a call centre job, since my hours weren't working out for daycare/after school program hours. It won't look bad at all, especially with all the experience you already have.

5. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Dec 8, 2008

I think you have the experience so go ahead and try to finish school earlier.

6. mom2ohc

mom2ohc Habitué

Dec 8, 2008

I would say keep the experience up, because that is what the people who hire look for, not how fast or slow you finished collegs

7. Crzy_ArtTeacher

Crzy_ArtTeacher Comrade

Dec 8, 2008

Take your time and don't be worried about finishing early. While I can imagine you are anxious to start your career, you'll be doing it for the rest of your life. I say keep the experience up, it may give you a leg up on someone else trying for the same job.

8. monsieurteacher

monsieurteacher Aficionado

Dec 8, 2008

Don't forget also that the longer you take to finish school the more money you're paying and the less money you're making.

9. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Dec 8, 2008

If the summer job is a classroom-type job, I'd take it, and then in my next term I'd look for practical connections between my classes and what I'd seen over the summer. A certain amount of what is taught about teaching makes more sense once one has taught.

If it's a day-care type job, I think it would be reasonable to go ahead and finish early.

10. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Dec 8, 2008

I'm with you. I barely started but I'm ready to be done. I want my own classroom. :)

11. Sheba

Sheba Companion

Dec 8, 2008

I don't see how wanting to get more experience before you start full-time shows a lack of ambition. If anything I think it shows more ambition.

12. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Dec 9, 2008

If you were my kid... I'd say in today's economy, hurry up and finish! Start your career. You have experience.

I've also learned that superintendents really don't care about your grade point average or really how much experience you have. They want someone who will take the bull by the horns and teach.

Also, I've seen teachers come in who have experience but no ambition. I love young, new teachers who wear the rosy lensed glasses, and are go-getters!

13. wi2boston2wi

wi2boston2wi Rookie

Dec 9, 2008

Thanks for all your points of view.

Just to clarify--the summer job is as a camp counselor. I've been thinking about trying to get in as a summer school teacher, but this would also interfere with my classes at college.

I've done a lot of networking in the area, so I'm confident in that area.

Furthermore, I believe a leg up I have is being in AmeriCorps...twice. Do you all think this is enough?

Another question---it'll side-track the forum a little:
    What job(s), if any, did you hold while in college?
    Do you think it helped you be a better teacher?
    If your job(s) did not apply to education, did you try to show your interviewers how it could apply to education?

For example: I have 3 jobs.

After-school program: working with kids the age I would like to work with

Friday night teen club: working with kids of different ages than what I want to work with--I think this will help show future employers that I'm flexible.

Library Assistant: lots of customer service--shows that I can work with (deal with) a wide variety of people.

Thanks again you all. Your opinions are TRULY appreciated!:D