Experience: Online Applications

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by SuperSide, Oct 9, 2008.

1. SuperSide

SuperSide Rookie

Oct 9, 2008

A lot of none-teaching related jobs have check lists on their online form asking how much experience you've had in certain areas.

Under a lot of these forms there is the training/teaching check box. As I've only been a student teacher, would that time go towards teaching experience. Here is my experience break down, for 1 yr in High School I had a practicum at an Elementary School, I helped with the computer class (1yr?). Following this I worked at a Library where I gave group and individual lessons about computers, this was part-time during school and full time during the summer. This lasted for approx. 3 years. (3 yrs?).

In my teaching program I was a student teacher for a full school year (1 yr?). The second year of the program it was just during the first half of the school year (.5 yrs?).

During the summer I taught and and tutored immigrants at an immigration office downtown (.5 yrs?)

For the last year I have been teaching computer classes to immigrants at a different society. This is a part time position. (1yr?).

So does all this experience go to my total yrs of experience doing this? 6 years? Or does some of this not count as actual experience, do the part time jobs count less?

The same question can be asked about computer experience. I used computers all during my education, for reports and other things, they started teaching us computers in grade 1. Does that go to computer experience?

3. SuperSide

SuperSide Rookie

Oct 10, 2008

I'm going to bump this back up.

The high school experience, I can understand it not counting for as much, because it was only in the afternoons 4 days a week.

But I'm still wondering when "experience" becomes official experience in quantitative terms. I don't like making assumptions when I fill these things out because then I run the risk of looking like a liar. At the same time I don't want to sell myself short.

4. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Oct 10, 2008

As far as tenure, none of that would count in my area. As far as years of experience, I would count one school year as a year.

If you question is whether or not to count the part time stuff as experience, I would say it would depend on what the app says and whether or not you would have a chance to explain yourself. I would not exagerate.

5. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Oct 10, 2008

OOPs hang on, I mean that I would put it down but I would probably comment "part time" position if I could. I would probably leave off the high school stuff.

6. SuperSide

SuperSide Rookie

Oct 10, 2008

The hang up for me is how do I weight the time, because a lot of these applications just have check boxes. It will have teaching/training listed, you check it, then on another box you check off yrs experience.

I think it's fair for myself to count my part-time position now as "training experience", even though it's only 9 hours a week, I am still doing the lesson plans, marking, evaluations, and other stuff.

The practicum experience might not count as teaching experience on a teachers application form, but does that change if the company changes where the process might be more important than the label.

And back to my previous experience with Immigrants. The bulk of my work was creating lesson modules for other teachers, twice a week I would teach small groups. Not a lot of teaching, but there is valuable experience there.

How do I categorize all this on a simple check-box application form?

7. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Oct 10, 2008

I think they are talking about in your profession.

lemon