Experience in First New to Second

Discussion in 'Second Grade' started by ehlertmg28, May 23, 2014.

1. ehlertmg28

ehlertmg28 Rookie

May 23, 2014

Hi friends,

I have been teaching first grade for 2 years now and love it but I have moved schools and at my new school I will be teaching second. I am super excited and ready to learn all about second grade! Please give me any tips, tricks or things that every second grade teacher needs to know especially beginning of the year. I want to use this summer to really get equipped and ready for my new second graders! :) Thanks in advance for all your wonderful comments!

-Melissa

3. PinkCupcake

PinkCupcake Cohort

May 26, 2014

You will love second grade! Beginning of year second graders are going to appear and act more like first graders until they get in the groove of things. Some will have low reading levels while others will be ready to move on to small chapter books.
    As the year progresses they will grow and become more independent. Start off the year with lots of modeling and you can begin to give them more tasks as you move along.
    You may think a task is too difficult for that age, but give it a try anyway. Second graders can sometimes surprise you with how much they're able to do.