Expecting subs to go through your desk

Discussion in 'Debate & Marathon Threads Archive' started by Toak, Jan 24, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. knitter63

knitter63 Groupie

Jan 26, 2010

I make sure that I leave everything that a sub needs right on my work table. I also make sure I call my colleague to place out anything I forgot (if it is an emergency absence). I would never want a sub or anyone else to go through my desk. I do not have anything of value there, but it is my personal space.
    When I subbed, I never went through a desk, even when I long termed for different teachers.

2. dannyboy

dannyboy Companion

Jan 27, 2010

When I was a lab teacher I was pulled out frequently either to sub on short notice, or help a sub get organized for the day. The number of times where everything was all laid out for the sub were minimal. The times I needed to search for forms, erasers, pens, etc. in the teacher's desk far outnumbered the other days. Remember it is not your desk, it is the school's desk. I have never seen a note saying to stay out. Just as a matter of logic I never left anything in my desk I didn't want someone else to find and steal.

3. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jan 27, 2010

I'm wondering why subs aren't bringing pens and erasers with them? They know that they're going to need to write notes for the teacher and take attendance and whatnot.

4. GlendaLL

GlendaLL Aficionado

Jan 27, 2010

I bring pens/pencils, a tablet of paper, whistle, etc.
    However, I regularly have to go into teachers' desks to find what I need for the day - daily attendance forms, fire drill forms, lunch count forms, paper clips to organize the papers for the day, bandaids, and so on.

Teachers do not lay out everything I need for the day.

5. knitter63

knitter63 Groupie

Jan 27, 2010

Wow, that's a shame. I figure if I don't want people to go through my desk, then I need to leave things out for them. ;)
    Come up to northeast Ohio-I'd love to have you sub for me!

6. knitter63

knitter63 Groupie

Jan 27, 2010

7. MissSkippyjonJones

MissSkippyjonJones Comrade

Jan 27, 2010

Last year I was on campus for a planning day so my kids had a sub...I went back to my room before school to pick up a book for my meeting and when I got there, all of my desk drawers were open and so were all of my cabinet doors. Everything she would have needed was out on the desk and counter so I started closing everything back up and asked her if there was something she was looking for. Her face turned bright red and she couldn't even stammer out an excuse. I felt really violated!

On a personal note, when I sub the most I will do is borrow a pencil which is usually on top of the desk anyway!

8. Toak

Toak Cohort

Jan 27, 2010

I bring writing utensils - however they often walk away, even when I hide them under, if I'm in a classroom where the teacher tends to let students take things off of her desk

9. GlendaLL

GlendaLL Aficionado

Jan 27, 2010

I don't really expect teachers to put everything out on the top of their desks. You don't really think of the stapler running out of stapes. So, when it does (on a day that I'm subbing), I just check the desk drawers until I find what I need.

I'm not snooping when I look for stuff in a teacher's desk. I'm just trying to do my job!

I used to get up in NE Ohio when I worked for Migrant Head Start! :)

10. jen12

jen12 Devotee

Jan 27, 2010

Wow...I'm amazed at what an issue this is! First, that my fellow subs have time to search through desks! I tend to feel as if I'm working my tail off from the time I get there until the time I get home. Who has time to be a nosy neighbor?

And, from the classroom teacher's POV....sure, you can try to put out everything the sub will need, but there's bound to be a day every now and then where something unplanned for occurs. I've found that the kids generally know where to find everything, anyway. I think I've only opened a desk drawer once or twice.

As someone with a corporate HR background, I've always been well aware that my office, desk and computer and voicemail were the property of the company, and as such, I didn't have an expectation of privacy, especially if I was out and a coworker needed to find something to cover for me. I've never been that territorial about my workplace, but, then again, I've never dealt with people who rifle through my things just for the hell of it.

11. hatima

hatima Devotee

Jan 29, 2010

I always hate going through a teacher's desk to find nurse passes, or band aids... or other tools that the teacher has specified are kept in the desk. I don't want anyone to go through my desk, and I don't like that it doesn't lock. I am very uncomfortable looking in a teachers desk.

12. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Jan 29, 2010

When I subbed I never brought my own paper/pens. I did bring my own band-aids, because I didn't want to have to go searching for those! I did look in desks for basic supplies, but I certainly never went searching for personal reasons.

Now that I have my own classroom, I haven't really thought about subs going through my things. I suppose they would if they needed something, and that's okay with me. Stuff happens...

13. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jan 29, 2010

But what the heck do you expect to find? What are you possibly curious about?

14. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Jan 29, 2010

In my experiences, I would get a pen off the desk in the pen holder. I think I would open one drawer that usually contained the paper clips & other type of stuff like that. I had worked in many classrooms before subbing & if I was in the school before I subbed the teachers would "show" me this drawer. I never went through any other drawers.

I would feel weird if I had to any way...not my stuff. The drawer with the clips is usually stuff given by the office.

15. jen12

jen12 Devotee

Jan 29, 2010

LOL....I used to do this until I kept getting sick. Now I bring my own writing tools and try to touch as little as possible, especially when I know the teacher is out sick!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.