Expecting subs to go through your desk

Discussion in 'Debate & Marathon Threads Archive' started by Toak, Jan 24, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Toak

Toak Cohort

Jan 24, 2010

Do you expect substitutes to go through your desk? I've found that most of the teachers I sub for don't leave a note about where needed forms are because they assume I'll just open up their desk drawers and find them myself. When I first began subbing, I even had a few teachers say to me "It was in my desk. Didn't you look there," if I later mentioned that I couldn't find a lunch or attendance form.

I eventually decided I would open the top middle drawer (where pens and pencils are usually kept) to look for forms, but no other. Even that has led to teacher's being surprised because I didn't find forms they kept in their big side drawers.

3. GoldenPoppy

GoldenPoppy Habitué

Jan 24, 2010

I would be very unhappy if a sub (or anyone) went through my desk. I would hope that if I somehow overlooked getting that form in the sub folder, the sub would refer to the 1st instruction at the top of my lesson plan write-up for the day: IF YOU CAN'T FIND WHAT YOU NEED OR SOMETHING DOESN'T MAKE SENSE, PLEASE ASK ____ NEXT DOOR. SHE WILL BE HAPPY TO HELP. It goes on to say that if you can't ask yourself, please send a student with a note.

4. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jan 24, 2010

I DO NOT want subs going through my desk or files. I leave every thing out that the sub could possibly need to follow my plans. Books have post its with notes "Say this, ask that", Math manipulatives and worksheets are labeled. Attendance forms, health alerts, classroom procedures are all in a yellow 'sub folder' that I leave with my plans on my desk. A class list, pull out schedule and supplies for all activities are left in clear sight on TOP of my desk.

5. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jan 24, 2010

I do not expect subs or anyone else to go through my desk, but I also understand it may happen for legitimate and no so legitimate reasons...so it's not as though I have "private" things stashed away. For a teacher to expect the sub should go on a treasure hunt for forms or other material, well...I think that's a little inconsiderate to the sub.

6. teacherheath

teacherheath Companion

Jan 24, 2010

I don't have a desk. :) Well, I have a computer desk, but it has no drawers. Everything is in my sub folder. Come to think of it, lunch form is not, but it's a kid job and they do it every day anyway.

7. JustT

JustT Comrade

Jan 24, 2010

I use my desk to see if I can see who is trustworthy. Basically, if it doesn't have a lock, I can guess someone is going to go through it so I put sensitive info in my locked file cabinet. Occasionally, I will place interesting objects, toys, a coin, etc.... to see if it would disappear. It gives me a clue as to what class period I should pay more attention to....

In general, I think it is rude and unacceptable. Hopefully, I do not have to have this discussion with a class.

edit to add: I noticed I got off topic. LOL The simple answer: yes if it is not locked up.

8. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jan 24, 2010

I would not want a sub to go through my desk. In fact, I keep my desk locked while I'm gone. I do make every effort to leave anything I think the sub might need. I would hope that the sub would contact another teacher if they needed something that I didn't leave for them. I always say in my sub plans who they can ask if they need help.

9. dragonfly05

dragonfly05 Companion

Jan 24, 2010

There have been a few sub jobs that I've had where I could not locate a specific form and the teacher did not leave any forms for me. I just asked a student, and they were able to get one for me. :D

10. gottagoodgig

gottagoodgig Companion

Jan 24, 2010

I personally would think it would be a little weird for a sub to go in my desk...

I've had a parent volunteer go in my desk without asking and I felt really uneasy about that...

11. jen12

jen12 Devotee

Jan 24, 2010

You must sub for some really tidy teachers! I always seem to find whatever I need on top of the desk or table the teacher uses during the day. I can only think of one time I had to go into a desk to find a slip to send a student to the nurse.

What type of forms are you talking about? Maybe if you sub for one school regularly or if the district uses the same forms at all schools you could just have some with you.

12. msmullenjr

msmullenjr Devotee

Jan 24, 2010

I would not want a Sub or anyone else going through my desk. If I know I'm going to be out and the sub is not one of my "usual"s I lock it. I don't have the most fantastic things in there, but its my stuff that I don't want other people to touch.

I leave everything that they should need out, and there is always a note stating to ask the teacher in room ___ if you need anything else.

13. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jan 25, 2010

Go through my desk at your own risk! If you can't find what you need on top of the desk, you certainly won't be able to find it in the drawers! If there are things you require that you can't locate, ask a neighbouring teacher or call down to the office.

14. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Jan 25, 2010

I would be really upset if a sub went through my desk. I don't have a way to lock it either. But I'm very rarely gone, so I am thorough in my plans and leave everything out that they would need.

15. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Jan 25, 2010

I always try to leave everything the sub might need right there on my desk to make things easier. I would rather a sub not go through my desk, but if he/she could not find something, then I would undertsand.

16. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jan 25, 2010

I think it's common sense to know that anything personal you don't want anyone to see should be locked up or left at home. It may be your classroom, but no one's room is completely off limits to anyone else.

Being a sub, I look in teachers' drawers to find a pen or post-it notes if they're not on top of the desk because I use post-its for something practically daily. Honestly, I may take a little peek in drawers out of curiosity, but I NEVER rifle through or take anything.

17. knitter63

knitter63 Groupie

Jan 26, 2010

I make sure that I leave everything that a sub needs right on my work table. I also make sure I call my colleague to place out anything I forgot (if it is an emergency absence). I would never want a sub or anyone else to go through my desk. I do not have anything of value there, but it is my personal space.
    When I subbed, I never went through a desk, even when I long termed for different teachers.

18. dannyboy

dannyboy Companion

Jan 27, 2010

When I was a lab teacher I was pulled out frequently either to sub on short notice, or help a sub get organized for the day. The number of times where everything was all laid out for the sub were minimal. The times I needed to search for forms, erasers, pens, etc. in the teacher's desk far outnumbered the other days. Remember it is not your desk, it is the school's desk. I have never seen a note saying to stay out. Just as a matter of logic I never left anything in my desk I didn't want someone else to find and steal.

19. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jan 27, 2010

I'm wondering why subs aren't bringing pens and erasers with them? They know that they're going to need to write notes for the teacher and take attendance and whatnot.

20. GlendaLL

GlendaLL Aficionado

Jan 27, 2010

I bring pens/pencils, a tablet of paper, whistle, etc.
    However, I regularly have to go into teachers' desks to find what I need for the day - daily attendance forms, fire drill forms, lunch count forms, paper clips to organize the papers for the day, bandaids, and so on.

Teachers do not lay out everything I need for the day.

21. knitter63

knitter63 Groupie

Jan 27, 2010

Wow, that's a shame. I figure if I don't want people to go through my desk, then I need to leave things out for them. ;)
    Come up to northeast Ohio-I'd love to have you sub for me!

22. knitter63

knitter63 Groupie

Jan 27, 2010

23. MissSkippyjonJones

MissSkippyjonJones Comrade

Jan 27, 2010

Last year I was on campus for a planning day so my kids had a sub...I went back to my room before school to pick up a book for my meeting and when I got there, all of my desk drawers were open and so were all of my cabinet doors. Everything she would have needed was out on the desk and counter so I started closing everything back up and asked her if there was something she was looking for. Her face turned bright red and she couldn't even stammer out an excuse. I felt really violated!

On a personal note, when I sub the most I will do is borrow a pencil which is usually on top of the desk anyway!

24. Toak

Toak Cohort

Jan 27, 2010

I bring writing utensils - however they often walk away, even when I hide them under, if I'm in a classroom where the teacher tends to let students take things off of her desk

25. GlendaLL

GlendaLL Aficionado

Jan 27, 2010

I don't really expect teachers to put everything out on the top of their desks. You don't really think of the stapler running out of stapes. So, when it does (on a day that I'm subbing), I just check the desk drawers until I find what I need.

I'm not snooping when I look for stuff in a teacher's desk. I'm just trying to do my job!

I used to get up in NE Ohio when I worked for Migrant Head Start! :)

26. jen12

jen12 Devotee

Jan 27, 2010

Wow...I'm amazed at what an issue this is! First, that my fellow subs have time to search through desks! I tend to feel as if I'm working my tail off from the time I get there until the time I get home. Who has time to be a nosy neighbor?

And, from the classroom teacher's POV....sure, you can try to put out everything the sub will need, but there's bound to be a day every now and then where something unplanned for occurs. I've found that the kids generally know where to find everything, anyway. I think I've only opened a desk drawer once or twice.

As someone with a corporate HR background, I've always been well aware that my office, desk and computer and voicemail were the property of the company, and as such, I didn't have an expectation of privacy, especially if I was out and a coworker needed to find something to cover for me. I've never been that territorial about my workplace, but, then again, I've never dealt with people who rifle through my things just for the hell of it.

27. hatima

hatima Devotee

Jan 29, 2010

I always hate going through a teacher's desk to find nurse passes, or band aids... or other tools that the teacher has specified are kept in the desk. I don't want anyone to go through my desk, and I don't like that it doesn't lock. I am very uncomfortable looking in a teachers desk.

28. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Jan 29, 2010

When I subbed I never brought my own paper/pens. I did bring my own band-aids, because I didn't want to have to go searching for those! I did look in desks for basic supplies, but I certainly never went searching for personal reasons.

Now that I have my own classroom, I haven't really thought about subs going through my things. I suppose they would if they needed something, and that's okay with me. Stuff happens...

29. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jan 29, 2010

But what the heck do you expect to find? What are you possibly curious about?

30. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Jan 29, 2010

In my experiences, I would get a pen off the desk in the pen holder. I think I would open one drawer that usually contained the paper clips & other type of stuff like that. I had worked in many classrooms before subbing & if I was in the school before I subbed the teachers would "show" me this drawer. I never went through any other drawers.

I would feel weird if I had to any way...not my stuff. The drawer with the clips is usually stuff given by the office.

31. jen12

jen12 Devotee

Jan 29, 2010

LOL....I used to do this until I kept getting sick. Now I bring my own writing tools and try to touch as little as possible, especially when I know the teacher is out sick!

32. msmullenjr

msmullenjr Devotee

Jan 29, 2010

First of all, the desk is mine, not the schools. Second, there is nothing that a sub would need in my desk. My sub folder gives clear explanations of where you would find emergency/unusual forms, band aids, etc.

I keep on my desk a mini organizer with different sized sticky notes (which i don't really appreciate subs using willy nilly), paper clips, staples, pens, pencils, hi-lighters, etc. In my desk I keep personal items such as my lotion, brush, hair ties, tampons, and my tooth brush. I don't want anyone touching these things.

I also keep my supplies that I buy for my kids including mechanical pencils, lead refills, pens, erasers, and hi-lighters. These things are not cheap and I buy them in bulk. I don't need any disappearing because it looked like I had plenty to spare. I have an assortment of Sharpie Markers and money for emergencies that I prefer no one else touches. And I certainly don't feel comfortable with someone peeking through just for curiosity sake.

33. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jan 30, 2010

Well, examples of what I've seen are maybe business cards for someone from a company I've never heard of who may benefit me in my teaching career or maybe a paper from an interesting inservice they attended that I may want to research more about. Maybe the teacher uses a product that I've never seen that could be helpful. It's all harmless stuff.

Each time I sub in a classroom, I observe all around the room as well to see if anything they do could be a something that would work for me.

34. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Jan 30, 2010

I have a supply drawer for students that includes a box of staples. I include that in my sub notes. I have 2 students that have been taught how to add staples and if the students run out they bring it to one of these two to replace. I let the sub know about those. Most of what is in my desk drawers is personal, but then the top of my desk is covered with staggered wire racks for papers, so there's no where to sit (or for me to stack things). I put the pile of papers and books for the sub on my kidney table and leave anything I think they'll need out. I tell them if it's not there, just send a kid to the teacher next door to ask for one. I think it's different for me because my subs don't have to have a degree. They are just everyday people who choose to sub. That means they wouldn't have any interest in business cards or anything else in my desk. I would equate a sub going through my desk to someone going through my medicine cabinet at home. It shouldn't happen. I don't keep anything private in the big top drawer, that one is fair game for anyone (adult) who comes in and needs a pen, highlighter, etc. The side drawers are personal and marked as such.

35. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jan 30, 2010

We sub internally, so it's not an issue-- anyone in the room is someone I know by name.

And none of us really has our own classroom. Our school is packed to the gills. This year I'm in my homeroom only 1-2 periods a day; the rest of the day someone else is in there. So, yes, I get to set up the organization. But realistically, the desk belongs to whoever is using it that period.

And I woud never keep anything too important at school overnight anyway-- my grade book travels with me. Classrooms are sometimes kept open between periods, and any kid could conceivably walk off with something I treasure.

When I leave school for the day, all that's on top of my desk is my vertical file (mostly graded stuff to return& extra copies of old tests), tape, a stapler, and a bucket that usually contains a scissors and few spare pens & pencils. If anyone in the room needed more than that, I would absolutely expect him or her to search it out.

In my back closet I keep a white cardigan for those unexpectedly cold days. I've told a number of people that it's there, and to run in and get it if they need to.

36. ginac

ginac Rookie

Jan 30, 2010

CENTER DRAW

I leave everything for sub in the center draw, but I have a note for the sub in the office telling them this. Anything that I have that is private is in a locked file cabinet...the only thing I really have there is my contract and personal observations.

37. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Jan 30, 2010

The only one allowed to go through my desk besides myself is my aide.

38. CanadianTeacher

CanadianTeacher Groupie

Jan 30, 2010

This is an interesting thread--more interesting is the responses. I guess I'm the oddball because I couldn't care less if someone went into my desk. The things in there are supplies to help me do my job easier, pens, pencils, rulers, highlighters, sticky notes...There's nothing personal in my desk, and files and sensitive information should be locked away anyway. When a student needs to borrow something like a calcuator or scisors, and asks me, I'll tell them which drawer to look in. When I was subbing, I expected that since I was going to be working in a 'classroom' that everything I needed would be there, so I did not bring my own stuff, and I had no problem going into drawers to find what I needed--ruler, sticky note, staples, paper clip, etc...There is a difference between that and snooping. It's just not an issue for me.

39. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Jan 30, 2010

We don't have locking file cabinets. So I keep the files in my desk. The top two drawers just have the normal everyday stuff, Crayons, rulers, glue, tape...... So those I don't care as much about. It's the bottom drawer.

40. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jan 30, 2010

I have no locking cabinets either...that would be nice, though.

41. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jan 30, 2010

But this is snooping. I just don't think it's right.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.