Expectations & Procedures

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by futureteacher13, Feb 14, 2016.

1. futureteacher13

futureteacher13 Rookie

Feb 14, 2016

Hi! I am wanting to become a teacher in the near future! :)

A little background about me: I have been a Paraprofessional for nearly 7 years. I've worked mostly with middle school, but I also have experience working with Elementary aged students as a Paraprofessional, Volunteer, Observer, and Mentor that totals 2 years. So, I have a total of 8 years working with students! :)

As a Paraprofessional, I assist the teachers I work with daily with classroom & behavior management. The kids generally respect me, listen to me, and I work really well with them. I feel as though I have built a solid foundation with them regarding these areas. However, there are two things I would like to work on, and that is being proactive instead of reactive & consistency. For the most part, I feel as though I'm fairly consistent regarding the expectations and procedures that were set forth at the beginning of the school year, but I am beginning to notice that with certain students, I tend to bend the rules more with them than others. One of the teachers I work with noticed this and explained to me that this will backfire on me if I don't get a handle on this now. I also want to work on being more proactive instead of being reactive. I don't know if this comes with age, but I tend to raise my voice when it comes to student behavior instead of being proactive and letting them know my expectations beforehand. When our classes came in the following day, particularly our class we take to lunch, I let them know what I expected of them regarding walking in a line to lunch, and they followed the expectations I set forth to the T. I was absolutely proud of them and I let them know they were doing a great job! I was impressed not only with them, but with myself as well! :) I don't want to be known as a teacher who doesn't care about their students. I care for every student I work with because I want them to be successful and grow both academically and socially. By the way, these are middle school students. Based on my years of experience working with middle/junior high school aged students, I would love to become a 3rd, 4th, or 5th grade teacher in the near future.

I would love any suggestions as to how to further improve consistency in the classroom & taking a more proactive stance regarding student behavior. I am very warm but strict (excerpt from Teach Like a Champion). I don't hold the previous misbehavior of students over their head--I start each day with a clean slate because let's face it, students are going to make mistakes. Thank you for listening! :)

Last edited: Feb 14, 2016
    Backroads likes this.
  3. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

Feb 16, 2016

I once put up little reminders for me around the classroom to keep me being consistent. It helped build the habit