Expectations for other teachers

Discussion in 'General Education' started by missythemom, Sep 23, 2011.

1. missythemom

missythemom Rookie

Sep 23, 2011

Hi everyone,
    I am a first year TA and will be starting out by subbing for a local school district (or two). I am curious to know what it is that you would have for expectations regarding what you would like your sub to take care of and how you like things handled. I understand that everyone will be different to some degree, I just wanted to get a general idea of what your expectations might be. Also, do most of you provide a general lesson plan for your sub to follow or do they "wing it" so to speak? I hope these aren't silly questions,:blush: it is just something I have been curious about. Thank you in advance :)

3. pete2770

pete2770 Comrade

Sep 23, 2011

I've read this forum enough to know the main answer.

"Someone that follows my plans."

I think the only agitation comes when subs do things their way and disregard whatever is in the notes. Anything that's vital, that the teacher wants you to do without waiver will be in those notes. They can only be mad at themselves if there's some unique thing they want done every day, but they forget to put it in their notes.

As for winging it, most schools require teachers to put in emergency plans ahead of time, so I don't think that's a major issue. Perhaps if there's no emergency plans and something comes up quick, you may have to wing it, but usually there are backup plans.

Aside from that, just be yourself, and be kind/courteous and make sure you leave a thorough note letting the teacher know how things went.

4. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Sep 23, 2011

I want you to follow my plans & leave me an HONEST note. Don't tell me my class was great, I already know who will give you a hard time as they give me a hard time. So, please don't feel bad, when they give you a hard time, just let me know so that I can follow up with them.

There's nothing worse then the sub not even attempting to follow my plans & then saying that the class was great when they really weren't. Let me know that you didn't get through everything because something took longer then expected. But then again, I will leave more then enough for you to do with them, so I won't be upset when you don't do everything.

Please leave my room neat & clean. I don't want your garbage left on my desk! I also want my supplies & the student supplies returned to where you found them.

5. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Sep 23, 2011

Follow the instructions I've left. If you can't do so, for whatever reason, leave me a note telling me why. Be honest. If I think you're not being honest, you probably won't get a chance to come back to my room.

6. queenie

queenie Groupie

Sep 23, 2011

1) Let me know what you didn't get to do.

2) DO NOT write in my lesson plan book- leave notes for me on a separate sheet.

3) Don't let the kids get into my stuff or mess up the room, and please leave my desk neat like you found it. On the other hand, don't "organize" my stuff "for me."

4) Be honest. If it was a bad day, don't say the class was great.

5) Tell me ANYTHING that I might need to know or follow up on, including student behavior, accidents, or parent communication.

6) Leave your name and number so that I can call you next time!

7. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Sep 24, 2011

Yes. Follow my plans. They were left for a reason :lol:

Also: If I leave you a sub book, please flip through it. I went through a bit of trouble to put together all of the info you need for my classes; take 5 minutes. I promise that it will answer just about every question there is!

Leave feedback on the classes.

In middle school, kids don't always exactly tell the truth. If it sounds outrageous - or the other kids are telling you it isn't the truth - don't believe that kid.

8. lilmisses1014

lilmisses1014 Comrade

Sep 24, 2011

I write a very detailed letter for my subs. Any and every question a sub might have about classroom and school routines will be answered in there.

For other issues:
    -- Don't touch my clock. Yes, I know it's fast, but I like it that way.

-- My supplies are not party favors: leave them in my classroom.

-- Don't move things around in my room. I don't have the time to play "find the missing object."

-- My (extremely detailed) letter says that students need to clean off their desks and the area around their desk before they may pack up for the day. Make sure they do that. I'm already going to be about 2 days behind in my work, the last thing I want to do is take the time to clean up huge messes.

-- Don't pick and choose what lessons you'll teach and what worksheets you'll use.

9. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Sep 24, 2011

I'll leave you everything you need on my desk. Please don't move the stuff off of my desk, turn around & pull the worksheets off of the shelf behind you. If it's not on my desk, I'll tell you exactly where it is at & it won't be in a closet.

Yes, years ago I had a sub do that. Took a week's worth of sub plans & supplies & moved them to the floor. Then took the next week's lesson off of the shelves behind my desk. I had planned for 2 weeks, the week I was off & the week I came back. Oh, and this was because of an out-of-town funeral.

10. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Sep 24, 2011

I always leave very specific lesson plans, and I expect the sub to follow them. I want very specific notes, too. I want to know what the kids completed, how the lesson seemed to go, and if anyone misbehaved.