Expectations for an almost 3 year old...and more

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by MorahMe, Oct 26, 2010.

1. MorahMe

MorahMe Habitué

Oct 26, 2010

I have a very interesting class this year. Because we are a combined preschool and kindergarten classroom, my class ranges from almost 3 (will be three the beginning of January) to just 6 (was held back). For lessons, we divide into two groups, for centers/free play, everyone is together. My temporary assistant just left, and I'm having a new one for a trial tomorrow, so that doesn't help this situation either. (I know I'm rambling, it's been a LONG day!)

The problem is the youngest one. I think she's pretty much on target developmentally, (except for maybe needing some speech therapy, which is on my list of things to discuss with my director) but in our classroom, it's very difficult to deal with! She needs someone to go with her to the bathroom-down the hall-because a) she can't get onto the toilet herself, b) she can't pull up her underwear herself, c) she can't turn on the water or reach the soap herself. Every half hour or so she says she needs the bathroom, and if you don't take her within two minutes of her saying so, she's wet.

I don't insist that she join us the whole time we're having our lessons, because I don't think it's appropriate. However, she's very disruptive when she's off the learning mat playing on her own! She's loud, and constantly comes over to talk to her friends.

Then there's playtime. She loves to play, and likes to interact with the other girls, but as soon as someone else touches something she's playing with (a bead from the bead bin, the other ice cream cone) she grabs it and starts running away, shrieking.

How do I deal with her without messing up the routines for the other students? Like I said, I don't have a consistent assistant yet, so I can't have someone else focusing entirely on her while I teach and supervise everyone else.

What are the appropriate expectations for children this age, and what can I be doing to help prepare her for next year? I don't want this behavior to become too routine, as she is likely to be my student again next year.

Any ideas would be appreciated!

3. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Oct 27, 2010

WOW... You have a HUGE age range... which means an even larger developmental range... YIKES!

As far as not being able to reach the toilet/sink, can you put a stool in there? Even when my rooms have been designed for little people, I usually need to put one there and one by the cubbies, inevitably there are kids who can't reach!! I know that doesn't totally solve your bathrooming problems, but might make a step towards independence. Can you talk with mom and dad about working to help her learn to pull her underwear up, or to find ones that she CAN do herself?

She's young, but should be able to understand the concept of making a choice... either sitting quietly with the group or palying quietly by herself. Maybe she earns a star or something when she doesn't interrupt for so many minutes, working to earn a sticker or prize of some sort???? Or what she can play with during that time is something quiet... books to look at on her own, puzzles, etc.

Part of the inability to share could be her age... she's not 3 yet, if I read your post correctly, and even many of my young 3's have difficulty sharing. Maybe if she's doing something like beads, you could have her put a selection of them in a bucket or bowl that no one else will take from... if everybody did that, and then traded among themselves, it wouldn't single her out but might make her more willing.

4. MorahMe

MorahMe Habitué

Oct 27, 2010

The bathrooming problem, I've discovered in the last two days (I hadn't realized that it was a consistent problem when I typed this up yesterday) is more complicated. Somehow, she often MISSES the toilet. I'm not sure how a girl manages that...but she does!

The sharing idea is DEFINITELY something I can try. A neighborhood teacher also suggested something last night, and as soon as I get an assistant again, I'll be able to get going. Right now, it's all I can do to make sure that everyone is safe while I'm taking care of all the personal issues!

5. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Oct 28, 2010

Sometimes, if you can take care of those, you have to consider the day a success...

6. MorahMe

MorahMe Habitué

Oct 28, 2010

True.

Well, here's some good news! Her private transportation is ending as of Monday, because no one wants to do it for only one child. Between that, and the meeting with the director from earlier this week, the results are that it's being recommended that they look for a more appropriate program. We're not really helping her by keeping her here, and there are better programs for her age range in the area. It'll be presented gently, with plenty of comments on how much we love her (I really do!) and how cute she is (definitely one of the cuter kids in the class. Which is one of the things that makes it less impossible to deal with...).

So now we have to wait and see about it-there is still a chance that her parents will insist on keeping her with us, and find a new mode of transportation. And because the school's motto is "Every Jewish Child Deserves a Jewish Education", they will NEVER send a kid away, unless there is danger involved in keeping them, or the child finds a better program.

7. Beverly

Beverly Comrade

Oct 28, 2010

I had a 2-year-old who missed the toilet.. right in the middle of my "yay, you're going in the potty!" song.. so she splashed me! She is thin & compact so the problem is probably that she's not really big enough to sit on the toilet comfortably. I don't know if that's what's going on with your girl, but if it is, you could see if the parents will bring a "donut seat" for her. Or is she just not making it to the toilet in time? Good luck!

8. annetxa

annetxa Rookie

Oct 31, 2010

I am lucky and have a 'kids sized bathroom' right next to my classroom. I have one girl who is new that refuses to go to the bathroom with everyone else. What ends up happening is that we will be outside and she'll have to go to the bathroom. I then have to take everyone inside to cater to her.

I hope you have good luck with your new assistant. I teach alone and it isn't easy.