Expectations for admin

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Johnjoel, Nov 6, 2011.

1. Johnjoel

Johnjoel Companion

Nov 6, 2011

Hey all,

My school is currently choosing a new superintendent. In my opinion, people have been unfairly against one candidate because he is a single man w/ no children while the other is a family guy? Do you think ones family, or lack of one should play into a districts decision to choose a candidate?

3. readingrules12

readingrules12 Aficionado

Nov 6, 2011

While this might make logical sense, the research shows that single, married, and married with children teachers, principals, and superintendants have not succeeded or failed based on their marital status or having children. Ron Clark is single and currently is a principal in Georgia of what some say is the best school in the country. The teacher in the movie Dangerous Minds was single. On the other side many successful educators are married with children. I am not sure why, but marital and child status makes little or no overall difference. Choose the best candidate--ignore their marital status and if they have children.

4. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Nov 6, 2011

Isn't it illegal to consider marital and parental status when hiring? Even if the general public is expressing opinions about these candidates based on whether they are married and/or have children, the hiring committee shouldn't be.

5. Johnjoel

Johnjoel Companion

Nov 6, 2011

Im sorry....people as in public, not committee.

6. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Nov 6, 2011

Marital or parental status wouldn't affect my input. I'd look for someone who was a fit for the philosophy of the district, supported meaningful professional development and who saw 'the big picture' rather than being a micro manager.

7. INteacher

INteacher Aficionado

Nov 6, 2011

I've had both and noticed NO difference in their ability to lead, super teachers, "run" our school, be dedicated to our students, make a difference in students lifes, etc . . they were great P's because of their education, experience, dedicatation to education and great characters not because of lifestyle choices