Exit Slips-will this work?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Elocin, Aug 2, 2011.

1. Elocin

Elocin Comrade

Aug 2, 2011

I'd like to do exit slips to end my class. I hate the thought of wasting all the paper though (100 students X 190 days of school adds up!). Do you think it would work to have the students write it in dry-erase on a laminated index card? I figured I would print their names on the card and then laminate it so I would always have their name on it. Then at the end of the day I can just flip the cards quickly to assess/review? I know the dry-erase might smudge but I'd rather take that chance than go through so many index cards or paper slips.

Thoughts?

3. Mrs. K.

Mrs. K. Enthusiast

Aug 2, 2011

I think you may end up with 100 smudgy answers that you can't read. Also, have you considered the cost of all the dry erase markers? Are you going to require the students to bring their own? Then there's the smell.

I don't do exit slips, but I do give 5-question reading check quizzes when we're doing a novel. I "harvest" paper from last year's student's composition books and cut that into quarters or even sixths. I recycle what would have been thrown away in the first place.

4. paperheart

paperheart Groupie

Aug 2, 2011

I plan to use scrap paper for exit slips this year cut similar to Mrs. K's desciption. You could consider making your exit slip on the back of another paper you did in class that day. That might work for some teachers.

5. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Aug 2, 2011

I bet you could round up enough scrap paper, and instead of wasting paper, you would be using paper that would otherwise go in the trash.

You can also do an oral exit slip - have them tell you something on the way out the door. Or if you have computers - they can post something to a forum before they leave. You could also have them all come up with an answer in their head and then randomly call on 5 people - that way most likely everyone prepared an answer. Just some alternatives - you could do something different each day.

6. Elocin

Elocin Comrade

Aug 2, 2011

Thanks--you are all probably right that I could easily find scrap paper--just our recycle bin in the copy room would probably set me up for the year!

Silverspoon-I do have a digital classroom and I considered having them save their response to a file but I'd rather something I can flip through when I have a free moment instead of logging on, opening files, etc. Though a forum might be easy to scroll.

You guys have given me a lot to think about-thanks!

7. TXowl

TXowl Companion

Aug 2, 2011

I have found that laminated paper and crayons are great for things like this. Crayons won't smudge like dry erase, but with clorox wipes or magic erasers will come off very easily.

8. school_o_fish

school_o_fish Rookie

Aug 2, 2011

I use recycle bin paper for my tickets outs. I cut them into quarters and one sheet of recycled can be used by up to 6 students (depending how much blank space there is). I flip through them and then they go back into the recycle bin.

9. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Aug 2, 2011

Good idea about using recycled scrap paper! :)

10. LiveNLearn

LiveNLearn Comrade

Aug 2, 2011

One exit strategy uses clothespins. I put student numbers on the clothespins. When they leave, they put their clothespin in the bucket that they think is the correct answer.
    Sometimes the buckets are

3- I get it
    2- I think I get it
    1- I have no idea what we learned.

You can also use the clear binder sheets as "whiteboards". They don't seem too smudgy.

11. BioAngel

BioAngel Science Teacher - Grades 3-6

Aug 2, 2011

I usually buy cheap memo note pads and give each student 1 slip of paper to answer their question. What I was also thinking about doing is to recycle the paper that goes into the recycling bin next to the copier (just cut the paper up into smaller squares).

I wouldn't use Expo markers as they will smudge.

12. Hitchcock fan

Hitchcock fan Companion

Aug 3, 2011

I too get about five or six exit slips on paper, and I am almost fanatical about recycling!