Exhausted?????

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by countrygal, Oct 23, 2009.

1. countrygal

countrygal Rookie

Oct 23, 2009

I teach first grade. I have 18 students and a very challenging class. However, I am coming home absolutely exhausted. I can come home and crash for 3 hours, get up for an hour, and then sleep all night. I don't have a family to take care of when I get home, and honestly I don't see how people who do aren't just wiped out! Anyone else exhausted?

3. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Oct 23, 2009

I'm actuallly very lucky; I don't have a single "challenging" class this year.

That said, I have the same 4 classes every day, 1 of which is a double period every other day. One day a cycle (out of 6) I have an extra study hall; 3 days a cycle an SAT prep class rotates in. I'm in charge of a study hall which varies from 150-240 kids a day, depending on the cycle day. I'm in a total of 6 different rooms.

Let's just say I sleep well at night... if none of my 3 kids has a nightmare or a bad cough and the dog doesn't bark at something.

4. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Oct 23, 2009

Right now, I would love to go to bed but don't have the energy to get up off the couch and climb the stairs. It's been a couple of weeks of long, long days followed by long nights of work (or being a chauffeur to soccer tryouts). I'm hoping to catch up on a bit of rest (and laundry) this weekend.

5. Lesley

Lesley Habitué

Oct 23, 2009

totally exhausted. my class is extremely challenging-first graders like you. I have 5 Sped kids, 7 ESL and several ADD/ADHD w/o meds. I was out for 2 days last week due to 3 of my 5 my kids having the flu. They put 2 subs in my room to manage the class, plus there were times the Sped teacher and ESL teacher were in there with them-5 adults vs 23 kids...and they still sent kids out of my room for their behavior.....Yep I get tired by the end of the day and most of the day it is just me with the 23! I just love when the weekend comes so I can sleep and get geared for the next week. All I can think is next year it will be different because I cannot do another class like this and stay in teaching!

6. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Oct 23, 2009

I am also exhausted this year. I have more than 30 special needs children and we are trying to teach in a room that is 15x15. It is just exhausting mentally trying to get everything done.

7. Mrs.DLC

Mrs.DLC Comrade

Oct 23, 2009

I am! Part of it may be age, but we keep getting more and more to do. And, when you spend most of the day actually teaching, you don't have much time to do planning, paperwork,making materials, phone calls, notes home, etc. So, much of it is done on our own time!

8. Lesley

Lesley Habitué

Oct 23, 2009

so true!

9. Bumble

Bumble Groupie

Oct 23, 2009

I have a challenging class and I seriously don't know how I do it. I've lost 10 lbs since school started. I hope it gets easier.

10. scmom

scmom Enthusiast

Oct 23, 2009

Why or why do I gain weight during stress instead of losing it?!?! I am jealous of that part.

11. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Oct 23, 2009

When I'm organized, I'm less tired. When I become less organized things start to pile up & I get tired. Or is it I'm tired & become less organized & more stressed?