Exhausted?

Discussion in 'New Teachers' started by lsho, Aug 23, 2009.

1. lsho

lsho Rookie

Aug 23, 2009

Hi there! I have been reading this thread for awhile and have been getting amazing advice. You all rock!!

My school started Thursday. It was nice having 2 days and then the weekend to rest and gather my thoughts/materials. I teach 7th grade and it is a lot of work!

My question is this: is anyone else just flat out exhausted? The idea of returning tomorrow is overwhelming right now and I'm so tired I can barely think straight enough to get my things together.

I don't know why I am this tired. I filled this position at the end of last year so I have a pretty good idea of what is expected of me and what I need to do. Could it just be because this is my first official beginning of the year? The whole "how I want the class to run and kids to act" is such a grey area for me it seems. I know how to teach my material. But how I get my class to that point is exhausting me.

Anyone else feel similar or been there and have a little advice? Thanks a ton! :help:

3. RainStorm

RainStorm Phenom

Aug 23, 2009

Isho,
    It is always like this at the beginning of the year no matter how long you have been teaching -- because the summer has generally been less structured, less physically grueling, etc. Add to that "new teacher excitement" which probably kept you up nights before things started, and just the sheer magnitude of what has to be done -- well, it all adds up.

My advice is this. Schedule NOTHING outside of school that is not essential until later in the year. Choose only relaxing, restful things until things start to quiet down a bit.

Accept that you are going to go home and fall asleep -- even if you are sitting bolt-upright in a stiff chair!! It just happens.

And hang in there -- it will start to get better by the end of October, beginning of November....

4. deedee

deedee Connoisseur

Aug 23, 2009

I have been in school for about 2 and 1/2 weeks and I am exhausted when I get home ..but I am also a club advisor so the combination of that plus my first year of teaching and the looming date of my first observation has made the past few week absolutely draining but also amazing :)

5. dovian

dovian Comrade

Aug 23, 2009

Yep, that's par for the course. Even if you teach sitting down all day you'll still be exhausted in the afternoon, because you use so much mental energy dealing with ALL. THOSE. KIDS. But I assume you're not sitting down all day, so that means you're burning a lot of calories. Wear a pedometer some day and see how many steps you're taking. It's a lot.

You have to take care of yourself. Try some or all of the following:
    -go to bed earlier
    -choose one day a week to stay late and do work OR pick a time every afternoon by which you will leave - an hour to an hour and a half after the end of the school day should be plenty, unless you're me and you wind up just hanging out with your friends when you stay.
    -set some small goals about getting stuff done. For example, this year I will grade 33 papers on my prep or my lunch every day. (That's a class set for me.) If you can keep on top of the work you can avoid having to bring too much home. DON'T feel like you have to hand everything back the next day.
    -if you are bringing stuff home, pick a night or two that you won't, that you can spend with your significant other or your friends or your family.
    -feed yourself properly. Too much junk will sap your energy. Try planning meals for a week or two and shop all at once. Then you know what you have to eat and you don't have to get takeout. You can even plan for nights that are busier (like, you had to stay for a club, or it's your work-after-school day.)
    -drink lots of water. Especially if you are working in a building with no A/C. The heat is worse than anything.

It gets a little easier once you're back into a routine. In a couple of weeks you'll either have adjusted your schedule or adjusted to less sleep :)

6. krysmorgsu

krysmorgsu Cohort

Aug 23, 2009

Dovian, that's some good advice! Thanks for writing it out - sometimes you forget about the simple stuff!

7. dovian

dovian Comrade

Aug 23, 2009

Thanks, krysmorgsu. Not saying I necessarily FOLLOW my own advice sometimes :) but you're right, it's so easy to focus just on the kids and forget about yourself.

8. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 23, 2009

If you're not exhausted, then you're not doing it right!

Hang in there.. it DOES get better. The workload eases and your body adjusts.

There's nothing like summer, but you will find some energy in the coming weeks.

9. lsho

lsho Rookie

Aug 24, 2009

Thank you!

I knew I came to the right place for advice! You are all amazing and I have taken all of this to heart. I'm keeping my fingers crossed and knowing I can get through this. Thank you all for your kind words and tips/tricks/advice. I can't tell you how much I appreciate it. :love: