Exercise club in elementary

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by yearroundteach, May 30, 2012.

1. yearroundteach

yearroundteach Companion

May 30, 2012

I have a strong interest in exercise and fitness. Many times I feel that I missed my calling and should have been a PE teacher...maybe some day. :thumb:

I have been thinking toward next year (even though this year isn't over yet) and how I would like to improve, change, etc. One area I would like to improve in is student and parent/family connections. There are some students and parents this year that I feel like I barely know. I have thought of some ways to do this in the classroom and will put them into practice next year (newsletters home, more volunteers, morning meeting with the class, etc.).

Another idea that popped into my head is a way to connect not just with my classroom of students but students in the whole school. We have clubs in the morning that meet (art club, choir, etc.) and it seems like such a fun way for these teachers to get to know the kids. So I thought it might be fun to do an exercise club before school.

So after that long winded explanation my question is, has anyone's elementary school done something like this? If so what are some of the logistics (permission slips, how many kids, how often, etc.)? Basically any info you can offer would be greatly appreciated. I did a web search and found a few news articles about a few schools doing it but they weren't very detailed. I would like to have a more organized plan in my head before I approach my principal with the idea.

3. wanting2teach

wanting2teach Rookie

May 30, 2012

I don't know about the logistics (sorry), but want to tell you that i think this is a great idea! I've thought about doing something similar.

4. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

May 31, 2012

We have afterschool gym...I love your idea!:thumb:

5. Rox

Rox Cohort

May 31, 2012

We have a running club before school. Every time a student runs a lap, they get a ticket from a parent volunteer. After so many tickets, they get a prize. Special prizes go to "marathoners" and the class with the most runners each week, etc.

6. Myrisophilist

Myrisophilist Habitué

May 31, 2012

I like the idea, but I wouldn't call it "exercise club" because that would probably turn some parents and students off. You could call it "community health club" or something more cryptic.

7. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

May 31, 2012

We have a running club in the spring. Third and fourth graders train for a 5K race.

8. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

May 31, 2012

My daughter's district has a milers club. Students have the option to walk or run during recess and sometimes during PE class.

9. Danny'sNanny

Danny'sNanny Connoisseur

May 31, 2012

I don't have any advice, but I am thinking of doing something myself.

We have a Girls on the Run program, but nothing for the boys. I want to start something up for them in the fall.

10. vikramdas

vikramdas New Member

Jun 1, 2012

thanks for sharing..

11. knitter63

knitter63 Groupie

Jun 1, 2012

This is a great idea! Exercise in the a.m. would be a great way to start many students' day!

12. yearroundteach

yearroundteach Companion

Jun 1, 2012

Thanks for the replies! I don't think I'd call it "Exercise Club". I hadn't put much thought into it but I'd probably name it something cutesy and then describe what it was. I do want to make it clear that it will be exercise though. I want them to learn that dreaded exercise :eek: can be fun!

It seems like a lot of schools have running clubs. That is a lot of what I found online too. I want to incorporate running but not just running. My main concern is how to convince my principal that this isn't a huge lawsuit waiting to happen with injuries and such. Those of you whose schools have running clubs...did the families sign permission slips? What was detailed in those slips?

My newest concern I've thought of is how I'll avoid being a sweaty mess all day after this in the morning! :blush: I thought about doing it in the afternoon but I really can't because that's when I work out, run errands, etc. and there isn't another spare second after school to fit something else in.

13. yearroundteach

yearroundteach Companion

Jun 1, 2012

Thanks czacza! How does your afterschool gym work? Is it ran through PE or other teachers? Do kids have to sign up to use it or can any of them just show up any day? Did they sign permission slips to use it? Do you have actual gym equipment they use (treadmills and such) or is someone leading them in some type of exercise?

Sorry for so many questions :blush: but I'm really excited about doing this and am trying to learn as much as possible.

14. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

Jun 1, 2012

Our pays ed teacher runs a morning fitness club that meets two times per week before school for half an hour. The kids do a variety of stuff including running, active games, things like sit ups/push ups/ jumping jacks. I think it's just for 3rd through 5th grade. My daughter's elementary school has it as an after school club (called Runners Club though they both run and play active games) and it's a paid club that a parent runs.

Definitely have a permission slip and on it a statement about behavior expectations and consequences for not following the expectations. I think for our club it's something like first offense you sit out the rest of the time, second you have to miss the following time it meets and third strike and you're out of the club. In a nutshell you don't want a bully or disrespectful child ruining it for the rest of the kids and you. Not trying to bring up the negative I just want you to have a plan for it in case it becomes an issue.

Also, decide ahead of time what your cap is as far as participants. When you send out the form you could state on it "Limited to XX participants, if additional students are interested they will be placed on a wait list."

Oh, and I love the idea :).

15. yearroundteach

yearroundteach Companion

Jun 1, 2012

Thank you for the information. It sounds like what your PE teacher does is what I'd be aiming for. Good idea about putting the expectations/consequences right there with the permission slip.

I just sent an email to my principal this afternoon introducing her to my wild idea. :D So hopefully I'll know early next week if it is a go or not. Then I'll probably be back on here bugging you guys for more ideas for that permission slip. I worry about leaving important things out!

16. stephenpe

stephenpe Connoisseur

Jun 1, 2012

Great idea, I used to have a running club after school and we do
    a laps program within our schools and give out foot tokens and mileage tokens all year. Foot tokens for five miles. I have a 2nd grade girl almost to 175 miles this year. They run one lap in PE, two on fridays or as many as they want. I see them every other day, with the regular teacher they can run more at PE time