Excuse me while I rant about meetings.

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Pencil Monkey, Jul 29, 2008.

1. Pencil Monkey

Pencil Monkey Devotee

Jul 29, 2008

I am so tired of sitting in meetings that drone on and on about stuff I learned in college, in fact stuff everyone in education should have learned in college. Its pointless! My principal is making us take a three day development course stupid topics. I wouldn't mind sitting in the meetings if they were useful or new information or full of ideas that I hadn't encountered before. But any teacher out of college knows this basic stuff. Example: Gardner's multiple intelligences. The shocker to me was that there were other teachers in the meeting taking extensive notes as if they have never seen these things before.:eek:I just can't believe that any education program would not teach these fundamental concepts.

Oh I just want to pull my hair out! To top it off I can't even get in to set up my classroom because they are still working on it. If I am lucky I will be able to get in on Friday.

3. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Jul 29, 2008

Were we in the same workshop??? Mine was a couple of weeks ago, but it was sooooo ridiculous. The second day, they showed us how to write a lesson plan!!! Come on!!! They were also preaching the benefits of cooperative learning. Really???? This works??? Wow, I had no idea!

I had the same (excuse me) idiot teachers in there going, I've never tried group work before! Maybe it would work!

Gee, you think? Maybe if you stepped out from under that rock you've been hiding under for the past 30 years, you could learn something!

Whew, I feel better. I'll have more ammunition next week, we have to go back for one more day. If not for the $150 stipend, I think I could be sick that day!

4. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jul 29, 2008

I absolutely hate when they insist on wasting our time with workshops that either don't apply or are common knowledge. One time they made us attend a (short, thank goodness) workshop on using powerpoint in the classroom when we don't even have computers in our rooms! Then, they tried to make me take a 3-day workshop on using graphic organizers. Three days! I would have gone completely insane.

5. Missy99

Missy99 Connoisseur

Jul 29, 2008

Ah, but you would have been able to graph that downward spiral to insanity quite to perfection :haha:

6. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jul 29, 2008

Hahahaha!!! It could've been beautiful!

7. Zelda~*

Zelda~* Devotee

Jul 29, 2008

We'd have boring trainings at the Preschool Level too. However, worse than boring were the stupid ones...My personal favorite was the one where they told us how bad books like "The Three Little Pigs" were. (The Wolf wanted to eat the pigs! How dreadful! :huh:)

My fellow teachers at Head Start would pass notes to each other. :p :lol:

8. Grace

Grace Companion

Jul 29, 2008

Haha you have just named my biggest pet peeve! I always feel like the "bad student" when I'm bored at a meeting and look around to find people frantically taking notes on stuff that is common knowledge! I'm hoping that this year's in service programs are a little better, but I'm not holding my breath :)

9. Ghost

Ghost Habitué

Jul 29, 2008

Good grief! You just described my day! Why did I have to sit through a 4 hour lecture on setting up rules and routines just because I'm new to the district? And (to rant a bit more) why do all districts insist on giving you a copy of Wong's book? Yes, it's a good book but if I tell you I already have 3 copies at home, does it make sense to make me take it anyway? I didn't even take it out of the plastic. Ugh! Two more days to go...:eek::yawn::|:yawn::down:

10. Goldie

Goldie Companion

Jul 29, 2008

I retired in May, 2007 after 30 years teaching and moved from the BIG city to little town. Last year I taught 2nd grade. At the beginning of the year, I was told that I was to take the year long new teacher orientation/workshops and would have a mentor teacher. WHAT!!!???? The grade level chair didn't agree and went to the distict for a little talk. I didn't have to attend.
    Thank goodnesss!!

11. Ghost

Ghost Habitué

Jul 29, 2008

Same thing here! Even my principal went to the district...at least I DON'T have to do the mentor/portfolio thing. :huh:

12. INteacher

INteacher Aficionado

Jul 29, 2008

I always look like I am taking notes at these pointless meetings . . . because I am writing to-do lists, making out my grocery list, writing lesson plans, filling out paper work and anything else so I feel that my time is somewhat productive. :)

13. alilisa

alilisa Habitué

Jul 29, 2008

I do this too, until I get called on to answer a question/or something else-then it is like what were we talking about?? :eek:

A lot of us sit in the back and do notes back and forth/play tic tac toe, etc. It makes the day go faster.

I teach K and we all had to sit in a 1/2 day inservice to talk about MAP(NWEA) testing and how to understand the results-umm-did I mention the tests aren't given until 2nd grade! HMMM-pointless for us!

14. teach_each1

teach_each1 Comrade

Jul 29, 2008

This will hand you your laugh of the day. Here is the opening to the memo on our professional development:

Subject: Teaching for Success and Sumtimes Learneng

Oh... I can't wait!!!

15. little317

little317 Groupie

Jul 29, 2008

I feel the same way. I have sat through countless meetings when the upper elementary teachers present ideas on what to do in the classroom. One time it was all about "cool games" to teach multiplication of decimals. Ummm, yeah, like I'm going to use that?

Our team always jokes about going to our principal and requesting that we do a presentation for the teachers that would put everybody else asleep. It's an awful thought, but so many times the meetings are totally geared toward a select group, yet everybody has to sit through it.

16. trayums

trayums Enthusiast

Jul 29, 2008

I think I planned my entire wedding during meetings! Maybe that's why my guests were being graded!!!!!!

17. TeachMe3

TeachMe3 Rookie

Jul 29, 2008

Congratulations on your new marriage! I too make to do lists during meetings. Last year we had to sit through math workshops that were for the 3rd-5th grade. I don't know why K-2nd had to attend.

18. IndyJo

IndyJo Companion

Jul 29, 2008

The upside to these meetings is we're beginning to arm ourselves with work material to do during the meetings to compensate for the invaluable time of not getting to check our e-mails, copy a worksheet, or take a non-hurried potty break.

19. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Jul 30, 2008

Thank goodness, the workshop I was in was "technology" based (This is Google. It can show you things!). We were to bring our laptop.

Um, I probably had my all time high AtoZ postings those days. And I made 3 massive Vista Print orders. And I Yahoo IM'd a lot (thanks stg and jw-i have to go back on the 6th, be ready!)

20. alilisa

alilisa Habitué

Jul 30, 2008

We have tried that, but when we are having staff dev. on subjects that pertain to just k/1 the rest of the building doesn't have to go. We get so mad. If we have to sit through their stuff, they should have to sit through ours!! Of course the upper level teachers think it is a waste of time to sit through our stuff, but at the same time they get mad if we don't have to sit through theirs (they get more prep time than we do, etc...) GRRRR!!! :mad:

21. Andrea L

Andrea L Habitué

Jul 30, 2008

I'm always the rude teacher and take things to work on. I take name tags, and vocabulary cards, etc. If the workshop is a good one, I don't take my stuff out to work on. However, most often I'm thankful that I brought my school bag with tasks that can be done while I'm sitting through those boring workshops!

22. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 30, 2008

Consider however that the test is not ONLY the 2nd grade teacher's job- In K you are laying the groundwork for learning. You are teaching concepts, behaviors, expectations that help shape who your kids are as test-takers when they get to grade 2 (and beyond)...It is not ONE teacher's job to teach a child each year- a child's education is a compilation of all that has come before and all that is yet to come.

That said, I do believe that good professional development should be relevent, related and meaningful. If it is important for your district for everyone to know about test results they should explain why (maybe the rationale is the one I gave above- or maybe your district just has to DO SOMETHING to prove it's providing professional development - which would be a shame.)

23. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Jul 30, 2008

At our last district wide, someone passed around bingo cards that had words like "differentiation" and "NCLB" in each one of the boxes. Any time a word was said that was on our card, we crossed it off. If anyone had a bingo, you were to yell, "Bull$#!T" No one did, but it still was a lot of fun!

24. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Jul 30, 2008

These boring staff days have been going on forever! I'm the ADD one who has to have legs crossed with one shaking, doodling, or now since i have an ipod, I'll be playing a game. I don't do anything that's distracting to the presenter or colleagues because some are sincerely listening and learning.

Keep in mind, you're getting paid for them. I generally calculate how much per hour I'm making there and that makes me feel better.

Someone has been instructed to keep you all day, they're getting paid, and they're sincere about what they're presenting. Having been on the other side makes you much more respectful for what they're doing.

And, it's a huge reminder that we make our kids sit all day and that whatever we teach them should be interesting and relevant.

25. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jul 30, 2008

Amazing, how many fracture lines there are in the average school staff... if I wanted to ensure that control of the educational process would pass permanently out of the hands of teachers, divisions like these are something I'd look to implement and deepen.

It seems to me that the primary grades are where kids learn to learn and to trust their own brains (or not) - and that's crucial to success in the upper grades.

26. alilisa

alilisa Habitué

Jul 30, 2008

The workshop was one the procedurals parts of giving MAP test and then analyzing the data to have kids qualify for Title, reading groups, etc. It really didn't pertain to us!

27. Yank7

Yank7 Habitué

Jul 30, 2008

Yes,staff development days can be boring,but I feel it is the polite thing to listen to the presenter as if what they are doing is very important and relevant. After all isn't that what we want the children in our class to do.What would you say if they took out a puzzle book to work on during your lesson because they already knew how to do division? I know many teachers feel they have learned many useful things in their education courses,but you never know when you might learn a new idea for cooperative learning that might be helpful in you class.
    I have always felt the best staff development is to have teacher exchange ideas that work in their classrooms,but for some strange reason when it is suggested in my school there are very few volunteers among the staff,even among the newer teachers who know all the innovative and brilliant new ideas they learned in their methods courses that is guaranteed to work in our classrooms.
    What really needs to be done is better planning to be sure ideas being presented can be used in our classrooms for our children's benefits.Maybe that's the question we should be working on during the presentation.How will I use this in a classroom,now or in the future?Have a great school year! Staff Development is just part of the job.I have five staff development days during the year and I don't even get paid extra for them.

28. mandagap06

mandagap06 Devotee

Jul 30, 2008

O my gosh! I feel so bad for ya'll not having computers!! I don't know how in the world ya'll can have class without em'.

29. PreKyay

PreKyay Companion

Jul 30, 2008

Well said, Yank7. I'm just getting started, but I think a good rule of thumb is to use the golden rule! I may be recanting a year from now...

30. jw13

jw13 Groupie

Jul 30, 2008

Ok...this had me blow pop out my nose!:lol: I am totally "borrowing" this idea.

31. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 30, 2008

My principal actually started a training this way- tongue in cheek- we didn't really do, our PD actually is good stuff!

How to Stay Awake in Teacher In-Services: Offered As a Public Service

Author Unknown

Do you keep falling asleep in teacher meetings and in-services?

Here's a way to change all of that.

1. Before (or during) your next meeting, in-service or staff
    development, prepare yourself by drawing a square. I find that 5" x 5"
    is a good size.

Divide the card into columns-five across and five down. That will give
    you 25 one-inch blocks.

2. Write one of the following words/phrases in each block:

no child left behind

test scores

core competencies

communication

standards

multiple exposures

benchmarks

proactive

win-win

think outside the box

action plan

result-driven

assessments

knowledge base

at the end of the day

touch base

mindset

differentiated

retention

skills

background knowledge

effective learning

exemplars

implementation

reflection

grade level expectations (GLE's)

alpha plus

benchmark testing

CRT's

3. Check off the appropriate block when you hear one of those
    words/phrases.

4. When you get five blocks horizontally, vertically, or diagonally
    stand up and shout "BALONEY!"or BS!!

TESTIMONIALS from satisfied "Baloney Bingo" players:

-- "I had been in the meeting for only five minutes when I won." - Adam
    W., Atlanta

-- "My attention span at in-services has improved dramatically." -
    David T., Orlando

-- "What a gas! Staff development will never be the same for me after
    my first win." - Dan J., New York City

-- "The atmosphere was tense in the last in-service as 14 of us waited
    for the fifth box." - Ben G, Denver

-- "The speaker was stunned as eight of us screamed 'BALONEY!' for the
    third time in two hours. The Baloney Bingo Championship will be played
    at the next in-service." -Rod H., Nashville

- Author Unknown

32. shouldbeasleep

shouldbeasleep Enthusiast

Jul 30, 2008

Very funny, Czacza!

I apparently was showing my inattentiveness because the P called on me and asked me what he just said. I had no clue. I tried to fake it, but I was wrong. He did it twice, but the second time, the teacher next to me whispered the answer to me.

I am so impatient sometimes.

33. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 31, 2008

What kinds of questions was he asking? EEEK!

34. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Jul 31, 2008

shouldbeasleep-at the horrible ws I was at a couple weeks ago, I took my dh's business books and was doing his homework for him (don't tell!). I was really absorbed in it and one of the presenters walked by and asked me if it was a phone book!

:eek:

35. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Jul 31, 2008

We have a bunch of meetings/trainings that don't really train anything useful! I swear I have zoned out a number of times. Sometimes they made us do group activities. This is stuff we have already been over numerous times. Also, for these meetings we usually have to stay there until 5pm!

36. teacher333

teacher333 Devotee

Jul 31, 2008

Our District wants some of our teachers to come to school in August to be "trained" in inclusion which starts for one of our schools in September! The only problem - we are in a not so nice contract negotiation and will be entering our second year of working without a contract when we come back in September! The nerve!