exciting ways to teach...

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Emily Bronte, Sep 12, 2009.

1. Emily Bronte

Emily Bronte Groupie

Sep 12, 2009

geography... more specifically, the locations of river valley civilizations (Tigris, Euphrates) to 8th and 9th graders. I am trying to help another teacher friend out. She is looking for something beyond the traditional color maps type of thing. Any help would be appreciated.

3. Bloom

Bloom Companion

Sep 20, 2009

What about having the children develop brochures or informercials on the landscapes of the countries? Have the children pretend they are preparing to lead a group of tourists on a sightseeing trip of the lands.

4. jforegolf

jforegolf Rookie

Sep 20, 2009

You could have students give directions to a society and then share their directions with the class to see if classmates could guess what civilization they are trying to give directions to.

For example you create a template that the students fill in like,

Start at ________ (teacher selects this)

Walk _________ miles towards ________( Major landmarks near that civilization)

When you get close look for____________ ( Characteristics of that civilization)

I never tried this so not sure if it would work but it could be fun for the kids.

5. ancientcivteach

ancientcivteach Habitué

Sep 20, 2009

I've used formations and kinesthetic symbols for this. In a chant, the students use their arms to form each of the rivers.

You can also have the entire class form individual rivers with their bodies - leaving one or two students to direct. This works best if you have a large projection.

Salt dough or play dough maps are also great for this.

6. Ceyber

Ceyber Rookie

Sep 20, 2009

Google Earth!! Great stuff - play around with it, but being able to see actual land forms, look at user generated content, create trips (which can be played back as a video format) etc are all fantastic. Have them look for things in the Sat-View that confirms what they think according to geography (this looks like a factory, it's near the water...etc etc)

7. Ross

Ross Comrade

Sep 20, 2009

Are computers available? If so, use Google Earth and let the students explore the lesson's location and the surrounding areas.

I have often found learning geography more interesting when I could relate the lesson to geographic areas already known. If I know where I am, I can make sense as to where I am going.