Excited about this weeks work

Discussion in 'General Education' started by callmebob, Nov 5, 2012.

1. callmebob

callmebob Enthusiast

Nov 5, 2012

We are working on election information during social studies this week. I was attempting to explain to the students about the electoral college today. Not the easiest of tasks. Tomorrow in class we will be tracking the election and then Wednesday working with how the voting turned out and tabulated what all of the states did. Probably only half the kids in the class are really interested, but it is really getting the conversation going.
    The class is also trying to figure out who I voted for, but I told them I would not say until Wednesday when it is all done. They all got a chance to vote on the school voting site we did.
    It has been a very inciteful unit overall and really cool to see students learning this information that many adults don't even pay attention to.

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Nov 5, 2012

What are you inciting? :D

4. readingrules12

readingrules12 Aficionado

Nov 5, 2012

callmebob,

Good for you. magazines.scholastic.com has some good info and activities on the election that would be good for 4th grade. I know my students enjoyed using that site today.

5. callmebob

callmebob Enthusiast

Nov 5, 2012

We have used some of the info on nick.com and I have a booklet of information we are researching on. As well, we are looking at the maps of red and blue that are online from different sources for the electoral college.

6. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Nov 5, 2012

7. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Nov 5, 2012

I love teaching about the election!! We are turning it into a full week (well 4 days since we have an in-service tomorrow since our schools are polling places). Have fun!

8. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Nov 6, 2012

Hey, if you can get half a class interested in the political process, then that's half a class that may become involved and bring about the changes that are necessary!

Kudos!

9. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Nov 6, 2012