Excited about Ideas, Not excited about going back

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by cb4pebbles, Aug 1, 2008.

1. cb4pebbles

cb4pebbles Companion

Aug 1, 2008

I'm your typical nerdy teacher who, even though school is out, spends the entire summer planning, plotting, shopping, and coniving for the next year. The thing I'm most excited about are my thrift store finds! I found a really nice wooden rocking chair for $20 and a ladybug bean bag for $3!:2up:

I'm excited about changes as well! This year I've changed my whole room setup and will be revamping some of my teaching as well. I'm going to have students complete a laminated form for morning work that is a mini version of our calendar area. They will use Vis-a-Vis markers to complete it every morning and will take it to calendar to check their work. I am also going to try Writing Folders and will attempt my own version of Writing Workshop/6 +1. I've created an editing checklist that is 1st grade friendly and bought a few pairs of funky glasses for the kids to wear when they are editing their writing. I'm pretty pleased with the way my reading went last year, but I will be changing the centers. I felt like there was more playing than actual learning during that time. I'm also going to try to do more of a math workshop as well. My room is practically ready and school doesn't even start back for me (not the kids) until Aug. 18th.

But.....I'm not ready for the kids to come back yet. My summer has flown by. We've got a new superintendent, a new principal, many changes occuring within the school, AND I'm working on my National Boards. My boss has told me that I am now the grade level rep as well as being on the SACS committee. AHHHH! I'm stressed and school hasn't even started. Do you feel the same?

3. Chevygirl97

Chevygirl97 Companion

Aug 1, 2008

YES!! It's my second year of teaching and I am going to try a few new things...plus I had a zillion students (ok, started wih 35 ended with 32) but I get 20 this year!! YAY!!

However since I taught summer school for a month (there goes some vacation,) and since there is only 1 class per grade (suuuuuper small Catholic school) I know exactly who I'm getting---not looking forward to that. And it's just nice being home and getting things done.

4. cb4pebbles

cb4pebbles Companion

Aug 1, 2008

AMEN! Even though our school has 3 classes per grade level, I have a general idea of the overall behaviors of the Kindergarten class that is coming up. :down: I've got my work cut out for me just with behavior. Lord knows what they are like academically. I'm going to think positive though.

And it is very nice being home and getting things accomplished...or just being flat out lazy!:D

5. love_reading

love_reading Comrade

Aug 1, 2008

I feel the same way and tried to explain it to my mom the other day, but she didn't get it! lol I have my first week's plans done, organized my read alouds through Christmas, and getting ready to organize my files into binders. I am excited about changing some ways I teach and reorganizing my room layout, but every time I think about the actual school year I get very anxious. I think part of it is that it is so hectic all the time and I hate the feeling of never having everything done, which it never is in teaching. Also I am loving being lazy and spending time with my kids.

6. wdwteach

wdwteach Cohort

Aug 1, 2008

Waaaaaaa!!!! I am not ready to go back either. I start Monday the and kids start the next Monday! I have done less than nothing to get ready!

7. gab

gab Comrade

Aug 1, 2008

I hear you! Most of the summer break I have slowly been collecting new ideas from everywhere on everything...reading centers, spelling ideas, writers' workshop, word walls...etc. I am in the process of trying to organize it and work out how I can try to do things differently. This is my 15th year and I like changing things up...trying new ideas and modifying old ones. I am overwhelmed but excited as well.

Also causing me to feel overwhelmed is a new model for differentiating instruction my district is going to starting this fall. All schools will be going to this model but my school is going to start this year. We have not had any training and while I like the idea behind RTI(Response to Intervention)I don't understand the logistics of this and feel unprepared. We will receive training in a few weeks. I feel like this is going to have a huge impact on the rest of the day. With all the things I am excited to implement, I am unsure how to get it all mapped out. I know I am overwhelming myself but that's what I do. I don't mean to but I do. I even got rid of storage items in my room to free up more wall space to implement ideas and because with this new model, I feel like I need open spaces around me so I don't feel so hemmed in by the model...silly, I know but I feel like a lot will be placed on my shoulders...my group is the lowest group, the Intensive kids. Anyway, good luck getting psyched, I'm trying!

8. LAH2

LAH2 Companion

Aug 2, 2008

I feel the same way! I get sooooo excited during the summer about planning for the new year and setting up my classroom, but then when school starts I always think "I'm not ready yet! I need a few more weeks!" I sometimes get stressed and overwhelmed thinking about what the new school year will bring. It's always so much fun getting ready for school but then it's so much work once it starts!

9. trayums

trayums Enthusiast

Aug 2, 2008

I could have written your post. Well most of it. I too spend the whole summer finding new ideas and thinking about what I will do differently but am not wanting to actually go back. Summer does fly by and by the time we know it it'll be December. UGH! Winter!!! blah.
    I always feel so inspired by coming on this site and gathering ideas, shopping etc and then go back to what seems like nothing has changed. Ah well... ready or not, here they come.

10. lteach2

lteach2 Cohort

Aug 2, 2008

Where did you get the bean bag for $3?!

11. cb4pebbles

cb4pebbles Companion

Aug 2, 2008

I had a lucky find at a thrift store near Atlanta called Value Village. It is cute and tiny so I bought it and got rid of 2 of my large bean bags at school.

12. Mrs.SLF

Mrs.SLF Comrade

Aug 2, 2008

haha...I think I know where that value village is located!

13. shouldbeasleep

shouldbeasleep Enthusiast

Aug 3, 2008

I've gotten spoiled. I just want to do what I want to do. I don't want any more pressure.

Sleep Don't sleep
    Eat when I feel like it.
    Play with my teacher finds
    Play with the computer and come up with ideas.
    Read all night if I feel like it.
    Stay in my pajamas all day.
    Even decorate the classroom.

But I don't want the pressure that this job brings with it.

I know I'll get into it as soon as the kids get here, but it has been such a relaxing summer.

14. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Aug 3, 2008

It's been the best one I've had in a long time.

How dare someone try to interfere with my summer! I have to get up tomorrow a.m. at 6:00, geez, I hope I can.

I think this is why some teachers get so crabby at the beginning of the year, we're violated!

15. frogger

frogger Devotee

Aug 3, 2008

I agree with you - I am excited about what I'm doing and preparing, etc but dreading the regime. I moved to a new district this year so I am going to be "new" again as well.

16. mdee

mdee Rookie

Aug 3, 2008

to a tee!

This describes me to a tee! I love preparing for the school year, shopping, reading new teacher books, etc. Then comes the redundant weekly routine, never seeing daylight, never enough time for family, and worst of all, packing a lunch and eating out of Gladware every day!
    Ugh!