Exchange Students

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Ms. I, Apr 15, 2010.

1. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Apr 15, 2010

Were any of you exchange students in HS or college & if so, what country did you visit & how was the experience?
    Have any of you ever housed exchange students & if so, what country were they from & how was the experience?

Do schools even still do it much anymore?

I've never done it either way.

3. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Apr 15, 2010

I was in Germany for 3 months when I was in grade 11. The experience was great for a shy kid like me; it forced me to come out of my shell a bit. Unfortunately, my German didn't improve as much as it should have--the kids all wanted to practice their English which was much better than my German! Unfortunately, my exchange "brother" wasn't able to make the return trip to Canada and we lost touch. My sister participated in the same exchange and she is still close to her exchange "sister".

We had an exchange student from France stay with us for 3 weeks several years ago. Unfortunately, he didn't really gel with our family and wasn't as positive an experience as it could have been.

4. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Apr 16, 2010

MrsC, I'm sure you did (re: coming out of your shell)!

5. Mrs.DLC

Mrs.DLC Comrade

Apr 16, 2010

We had a very negative experience. When our younger daughter was a senior, one of her teachers talked us into hosting a girl from ******, since my daughter was interested in that language.(I don't want to generalize and name the country-in South America.) We were assured that she would follow the 4 rules-4 d's-no drinking, drugs, driving, dating.(serious) Well, I spent hundreds of dollars decorating a room, we had to drive almost 5 hours to the airport to get her, we bought her clothes, personal items,etc.Food, school lunch,etc., was all on us. However, the first weekend she was drunk, slept with a boy, and was not interested in following any rules. She made my daughter( a good kid-HOBY award, Class officer, SADD,
    DAR good citizen, Homecoming/prom court, etc)
    just miserable. She lied to other students about us because my daughter wouldn't do what she was doing. I found out through other students and a teacher. We stuck it out for about a month, then she was moved to another family.(from our church!) The sponsoring group wouldn't send her home and the other family ignored her antics. It continued through the year. Sorry to vent-this hit a nerve and it's been 6 years!!!

6. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Apr 16, 2010

Mrs.DLC, wow, what a nightmare!

7. chemteach55

chemteach55 Connoisseur

Apr 16, 2010

I have taught Chinese exchange students the last 2 years. Last year we had a girl and the kids made her feel very welcome putting her on the Homecoming Court and all. She was very standoffish with them. About December, she came to school crying and our guidance counselor talked to her and found out that the home that she had been placed in was a very bad situation. It was very dirty and she was from a wealthy family in China and not used to living in a situation like that. Our guidance counselor ended having her live with her family for the rest of the school year. This year, we have a Chinese boy. He lived with his host family for about the first month of school and the school had trouble getting the host parent to pick him up after school and our VP looked into the situation. The student was living with a single woman who was a nurse. She worked very odd hours and the student was left to fend for himself most of the time. So once again my school came to the rescue. He has been living with my VP and his family since the 1st month of school. I think as a school, we have decided against having a foreign exchange student next year.

8. greenbean6

greenbean6 Companion

Apr 16, 2010

My first love was my senior year...an exchange student from Norway :lol: He loved being here and had a great experience though he didn't quite gel with his host family. It made for a fun senior year and a wonderful trip to Norway after high school:thumb:

9. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Apr 17, 2010

Interesting! I have no idea what steps are taken to see that a host family & lilving situation is adequate, but whatever is being done doesn't seem like enough. If it were up to me, before a family can house anyone, they should interview every member of the family that lives in the house, inspect the house, & maybe even make a surprise visit...not that people still can't lie or put up a front.

Before my ex-BF & I even met when he was back in HS, his family housed a female student from Japan. He & her dated.

10. scmom

scmom Enthusiast

Apr 17, 2010

We had a foreign exchange student from Sweden when I was in high school for a year. It worked out okay but it was a struggle to gel at first. She came from a wealthy family and had a servant and had never washed a dish or made a bed or....so it was a hard transition but worked out in the end.

We have had some from Japan for shorter periods - the language is hard but they were always polite and cooperative.

I have worked for a company that arranged visits and yes, I did interviews, home visits, etc. but I must admit when you have 20 students coming and 10 homes you do start to get desperate.

It can be a great experience or not depending on the person but it is a learning experience - I would recommend it.

P.S. The funniest and most rewarding one was a "foreign" exchange student we had from Utah. She was from a devout Latter Day Saint family from a small town and had never interacted with people who weren't from her religion. We got a wonderful letter from her afterwards thanking us for the experience and that she had changed the way she perceiveved the world. She had thought everyone who wasn't Mormon were devils with no morals, etc. etc. and she had learned we were just families with values who loved each other and made good choices just like everyone else. I guess that is the whole point of exchanges.

11. Cateacher2b

Cateacher2b Companion

Apr 17, 2010

My DS 15 has 2 exchange students who play on his soccer team..1 from germany and 1 from Switzerland. They are really great kids!!!!

12. Mrs.DLC

Mrs.DLC Comrade

Apr 17, 2010

Ms.I,
    It was horrible!!I just shared a few things....But, we have friends who have had wonderful experiences with exchange students!! Many are still in touch years later! I like to think that our was the exception..:)

13. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Apr 17, 2010

My family never housed an exchange student, but my high school usually had 4 foreign exchange students each year. Families volunteered to take them in. I remember at least 2 of them being in choir and invited into our top singing group, just for the experience. I remember I always had to stand next to one of the foreign exchange students while we were singing because I was able to hold my part without having her throw me off (she wasn't very good!) It was fun to have them though-my school made sure they had a lot of good experiences. My choir teacher (who had a daughter in the same grade as me) hosted an exchange student one year. I believe they might have moved him to another family towards the end of the year.