Exchange Students Living with You

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Ms. I, Jul 21, 2013.

1. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jul 21, 2013

I don't hear about this so much anymore. Isn't the summer season the time when many people have exchange students living with them? Do any of you have any? If so, from what country?

The only person I can recall who I actually knew had an exchange student was an ex-BF's family years ago before I even met him. She was from Japan. Then, I believe a classmate of mine from HS was a student in Thailand the summer we graduated from HS.

3. thirdgradebuzz

thirdgradebuzz Comrade

Jul 21, 2013

One of my coworkers had an exchange student from (I think) the Dominican Republic living with them all year last year. Honestly, they were mainly interested in doing it for the $$$ they got from it. She and her husband (who have 5 kids) are always looking for extra cash where they can find it. They are nice people, and they ended up enjoying the time with her more than they expected. The girl loved it here as well.

4. lucybelle

lucybelle Connoisseur

Jul 21, 2013

We always had exchange students growing up. We had two from Germany, one guy from France who came two summers in a row, and all of us (me and my siblings) went on exchange with kids in Spain so we went to Spain for a month, and then they lived with us for a month. My mom also had a few groups of kids and teachers- from Germany, Italy, and France while I was in college.

I'm not sure she got paid for any of them, maybe a little bit, but certainly not much. I loved having them around. It was really great growing up to get to talk with people from other countries.

5. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Virtuoso

Jul 21, 2013

My friend's daughter is in Brazil. She's having a great time. She has also been to Holland and Japan.

6. Mrs.DLC

Mrs.DLC Comrade

Jul 22, 2013

We had 1 when one of my daughters was in HS-maybe 8-9 years ago. She was from a country in South America and it was a bad experience for us. She was to stay 3 months, but we had to have her go to her next"family"after a month. We got no $$$(didn't expect any)and had to drive 4 hours to the airport to pick her up, spend hundreds on room decor,some basic clothes, etc., and provided food and other items. (The HS teachers talked us into getting one because it would be so great, etc.)Well, this young woman(she was not a lady) came here for 1 reason-boys and "freedom". There were 4 rules from the club and she broke 3 of them the first weekend.(No drugs, drinking, dating,or driving.) Her next "family" tried to keep a lid on her, but it was not much better.(At least their child was not in HS at the time.) We were shocked that they didn't send her home for breaking the rules, really soured us. Though, I have known some fine exchange students through the years.

7. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jul 22, 2013

Good experience or not, hosting a complete stranger isn't my cup of tea.

Mrs.DLC, sorry about the bad experience.

8. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Jul 22, 2013

We have an exchange program at our school with another school in Japan every year. I've never hosted, only because they ask that you host two students (so they feel more comfortable), and I only have room for one.

I think it would be a lot of fun!

9. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jul 22, 2013

chebrutta, that's good common sense of them, I like that idea! No exchange student should be by his or herself in the house. They should always be in pairs, for their own safety.

10. Shanoo

Shanoo Habitué

Jul 22, 2013

My aunt had an exchange student live with her family when I was young. She was there for the school year and she became a huge part of their family. She's still in contact with them now, 20 years later.

I've never had one at my home, but my school has a huge number of exchange students every year. We're a small school - just 500 kids - but we easily have a couple dozen exchange students per year. Mostly from South America and China, but some from Europe as well.

11. Mrs.DLC

Mrs.DLC Comrade

Jul 22, 2013

Thanks, Ms.I. I know most are wonderful-I was just sharing my personal experience!! Hard for our daughter!! She had a good friend who had an older brother who had gone to Europe as an exchange student and been sent home for bad behavior!! I still think it is a great program-maybe depends on how they screen, etc.

12. lucybelle

lucybelle Connoisseur

Jul 22, 2013

If they come for language practice, they should really be alone. That way they're forced to speak in English, instead of always relying on a friend.

13. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Jul 22, 2013

Well, it would work if there were 2 students but from different countries so they'd both have to learn English.
    I would love to do it but don't have any kids so I'm not sure if they would be bored.

14. Danny'sNanny

Danny'sNanny Connoisseur

Jul 22, 2013

My family had one when I was in college, so I only met her a few times.

She was WILD - brought home more boys than my sister and I ever had, my mom found the packaging for the morning after pill in her room, she wrecked a friend's car and should not have been driving at all... She was supposed to stay for the school year, but ended up going to another family at Christmas.

I do know people who've had much better experiences though!