Excessive Testing???

Discussion in 'General Education' started by wldywall, Mar 4, 2015.

1. wldywall

wldywall Connoisseur

Mar 4, 2015

So my charter school has a bubble sheet high stakes test in three subjects a month.

They test with the MAP test three times as year (three subjects)

They do the Performance Series test twice a year (three subjects)

They do the MEAP, or now called the M-Step (Michigan smarter balance)

So come April to May they will have to all of the above tests in the same three week period.

Is this excessive or normal for schools nowadays? I haven't subbed in a school that has done this much, but this is my first year in an K-8 school working with elementary kids.

(BTW because of testing, no grade above K is allowed Recess, we don't even have a playground)

3. PowerTeacher

PowerTeacher Comrade

Mar 4, 2015

It's normal, but that is not a good thing.

4. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Mar 4, 2015

Not abnormal...way too excessive.

5. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Mar 4, 2015

It's unfortunately common. I'm always kind of curious if the administrators who put children through this actually hate children, or if they really are so horrifically ignorant.

6. mathmagic

mathmagic Enthusiast

Mar 4, 2015

More than average, I'm sure, but in general, decently normal. While we only have the one test (SBAC), there will, in the end, be quite a bit of time/resources that will be funneled into learning the new test, process, and style. For both teachers and for the students!

7. readingrules12

readingrules12 Aficionado

Mar 4, 2015

Excessive...I don't even give 1/4 of that many tests, but that is because I am in a private school. Friends of mine in public schools in AZ give lots more tests than me, but I don't know of any giving as many as what you describe.

8. Go Blue!

Go Blue! Connoisseur

Mar 4, 2015

Excessive and abnormal.

Here, at the HS level, students only take the state exams once a year unless they didn't pass it the first time they took it - then they may take it up to 3 times a year if they are a Junior or Senior. Since the HS state exams are only given in Algebra, English II, Biology and American Government; some student may not even take a state exam certain years.

Since there is no pass/fail for the state exams in grades 3 to 8 - students are just grouped by their scores: Basic, Proficient or Advanced - there is no need for them to take it more than once a year.

Now, my district also gives Interims/Benchmarks once a quarter for grades 3 to 8 and once a semester for certain HS courses.

9. FourSquare

FourSquare Fanatic

Mar 4, 2015

We're basically testing from next week until June.

PARCC twice, MAP, EOY benchmark tasks, etc. It's a logistical nightmare.

10. Go Blue!

Go Blue! Connoisseur

Mar 4, 2015

Is every kid at your school taking EVERY single one of these tests? Will each kid be testing until June?

I just ask because I hear people talk about over-testing, but most kids, at least here, only take a state exam in two to four classes/courses a year. Everything else are school/district exams and practice tests.

I guess, I just don't see/believe that my students are as "over-tested" as everyone claims.

11. BioAngel

BioAngel Science Teacher - Grades 3-6

Mar 5, 2015

Abnormal. But I think most politicians do not trust teachers to be able to accurately assess and monitor students learning properly, so they think they can fix the "problem" by these stupid tests.

12. wldywall

wldywall Connoisseur

Mar 5, 2015

Yeah well one of those stupid tests during the winter cycle placed one of my kids at grade level in math when he cannot add or subtract independently or tell time (4th grade) just because the "adaptive test" have him some geometry questions...which turns out to be only math he knows(shapes, and angles no calculations). Now I'm expected to instruct at that level by some at higher levels of admin, ones who don't know the kid

13. cullen77

cullen77 New Member

Mar 5, 2015

Dats great..

14. ms.irene

ms.irene Connoisseur

Mar 5, 2015

That is so sad -- no recess for elementary kids? What are we doing to our children???

Where I teach, even secondary has a 15-min break for "brunch" in the mid-morning. When I taught at a K-8 school, we had a 20-min recess (or was it more? I forget now) at about the same time.

Even adults in most workplaces get a coffee break, stretch break, even a (heaven forbid) cigarette break if that's what it takes...How on earth do we expect 6-year-olds to work 7 hours a day, nonstop? That's just not healthy.

I don't have kids, but if I did, I personally would never send them to a school like this. It sounds like a test score factory to me.

Sorry for the rant, OP, I know this is not your choice or your doing. But seriously -- this has got to change!

15. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Mar 5, 2015

No recess is insane.

In my district, grades K-5 have a 20 minutes AM recess. Additionally, they have a 50 minute lunch (25 minutes of playing and 25 minutes of eating) in the afternoon.

I wear many hats as VP--one of them is Site Test Coordinator. Definitely not my favorite role (although I think I'm pretty darn organized), but I try to make things as seamless for the teachers (instructional aides work overtime in the afternoon to help with test administration if a portion of the exam is one-on-one).

16. lucybelle

lucybelle Connoisseur

Mar 5, 2015

In my old district we had a mandated test almost every week. It got to the point where I would tell the kids "you have 10 minutes to do this test and I don't care what your results are." I had no time for instruction I was giving so many freaking tests.

17. wldywall

wldywall Connoisseur

Mar 5, 2015

Even the lunch is only 25 mins and they get yelled at a lot for being loud....its nuts. Brain break (for those teachers that find time for it, which is discouraged and note even allowed after 4th grade) is for snack only.

Oh and full day kindergarten with no naps....to fit in a longer ELA block

18. wldywall

wldywall Connoisseur

Mar 5, 2015

EVERY WEEK!!!! No matter you said what you did.....shesh:dizzy:

19. wldywall

wldywall Connoisseur

Mar 5, 2015

Recently teachers have been being encouraged to cut down on bathroom breaks.....so much so we have had a 5th grader poo himself.....all because a new teacher was trying to stay out of trouble

You are right its nuts, and yet we keep telling parents your kids have ADD ...... no they have a condition called "LACK OF CHILDHOOD"

20. missrebecca

missrebecca Comrade

Mar 6, 2015

Schools in my area are like this, except for certain charter schools. Last year, my 4th grade class took AIMS (state test), Galileo (district test), and PARCC (new state test) sample tests. Some schools also tack on things like reading progress monitoring (DIBELS) and of course, ELL monitoring (in my state, it's AZELLA).

They also take away recess on the long testing days, but my school tried to give them a long recess in the afternoon to make up for it. We all tried to make the day positive by doing stretch breaks/brain breaks/snacks/games, but the kids still feel the pressure.

Poor kids. :\

21. ms.irene

ms.irene Connoisseur

Mar 6, 2015

That is tragic. I'm not a parent, but personally, if I had kids, I would never send them to a school like this. If I may ask, what is your demographic? What is the draw that brings students to your school?

Fewer bathroom breaks...it sounds like something out of Orwellian fiction...

22. FourSquare

FourSquare Fanatic

Mar 6, 2015

K-2: MAP, DIBELS/TRC, mClass Math, EOY Benchmarks

3-8: MAP, PARCC, EOY Benchmarks, TTM, Compass

We also just got done with ACCESS.

Here's the testing calendar if you don't believe me.

23. MissMae

MissMae Rookie

Mar 7, 2015

I'm in AZ, teaching third grade. We give the NWEA three times a year (reading and math). We do ORA's three times a year (k-3 only). We are doing our state AZMerit in April. 4th grade and up takes the AIMS Science test once a year. End of March through April is just testing galore, it sucks.

24. Pashtun

Pashtun Fanatic

Mar 7, 2015

I am in southern California, we have the SBAC test at the end of the year, thats it, one state mandated test.