Excessive Talking

Discussion in 'High School' started by isomerismqueen, Aug 28, 2007.

1. isomerismqueen

isomerismqueen Rookie

Aug 28, 2007

Hello,

This is embarrassing to admit, but my last period class is HORRIBLE. I have 11th graders. They talk...and some of the talkers naturally have loud voices. When I ask for their attention....they will not stop talking.

I am going to put them in assigned seats, but I do not really know them well enough yet.

I am using proximity to my advantage...and that curtails some of it. If I stand at the front of the class to talk, they just keep talking. It's really annoying. I keep telling them that it's not ok to talk while I'm talking, but they simply ....don't stop.

I need help PLEASE!

3. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Aug 28, 2007

I have the same situation with one of my 10th classes... and it was only the first day! What are they going to be like 2 weeks from now?? They are definitely getting assigned seats soon, even if its just randomly created.

4. Weazy

Weazy Comrade

Aug 28, 2007

Do you have detention or anything similar? I know it is early in the year, but you have to let the kids know you are in charge and you mean business. If you tell them to stop talking, yet nothing happens when they don't...well, it doesn't surprise me that they continue. Put your foot down, let them know it is YOUR classroom, and YOU are in charge. If you don't, it will not be long before the rest of the class joins in on their visiting. It's better to be firm in the beginning of the year, because you can't decide to change your ways later; the students won't take you seriously. Good Luck!!;)

5. willsgirl

willsgirl Comrade

Aug 28, 2007

I couldn't agree more. You must mean business. That means action. Separate them, use proximinity. I walk around the room, down the aisles and plant myself next to the chatty ones who aren't paying attention and just stop what I'm doing and give them a complete unemotional stare. They'll get the message. If it doesn't stop, start writing referrals to the office. Make a few phone calls home, send some notes/letters, emails, whatever to parents.

Really strong, interesting (to them...what they can relate to) lessons are key as well. If they are interested and engaged, they won't be off task as much.

Good luck. I feel your pain.

6. isomerismqueen

isomerismqueen Rookie

Aug 30, 2007

The consequences of not following the rules I've told the kids are:
    1) Verbal Warning/Parent Contact
    2) Written Warning/Parent Contact
    3) Teacher's Detention
    4) Office Referral

I didn't really want to call parents on the first or second day of school and say "Hey, your kid is talking too much." So I called most of the parents to say that I was excited to have their kid in my class, to get the first positive contact out of the way.

I gave talked with each student privately as they came into class to let them know that their behavior wasn't acceptable. They were AWESOME this day.

Today however, they weren't so great. I guess I need to have written warnings for them tomorrow before class.

I'm not sure what I'm doing differently in this class period. All my other classes are doing what I ask...so I don't know.