Excessive Talking

Discussion in 'High School' started by CubbieFan, Sep 18, 2010.

1. CubbieFan

CubbieFan Rookie

Sep 18, 2010

Hi everyone!

I'm a first-year high school teacher and have two periods where excessive talking is an issue. It's not just one or two students, it's quite a few of them. I really want to avoid writing up referrals, but my patience is wearing thin and I can't write referrals for the WHOLE class! Please, what are some strategies that are useful for excessive talkers?? The whole stop, stare, and wait routine is no longer working and it's annoying the quiet kids who are trying to learn. HELP! :eek:

Thanks!

3. newbeeteacher

newbeeteacher Rookie

Sep 18, 2010

I am in the same situation as you. I would love to hear any opinions and suggestions too. I have thought about assigning seats and separating the talkers but I would love other suggestions that aren't as 'drastic'.

And for anyone who has separated the talkers or assigned seats, how did the kids take it? I don't want to spend the rest of the year with kids who hate being in my class and aren't having fun and don't want to learn. Do they hold grudges for that long?

Thanks for any advice!

4. INteacher

INteacher Aficionado

Sep 18, 2010

I guess I have never thought of assigned seats as drastic - all my classes (except my AP classes) have assigned seats. And I would hate to think that assigned seats would cause students to not enjoy my class. I would have assigned seats on Monday if I were you. Seriously, you shouldn't be worrying about students not learning or having fun in your class because you assign seats or because you are moving students away from each other for talking. IMO, students will learn more and enjoy your class because you are in control of your class.

:2cents: - the stare and the wait is no longer working because your students know that nothing more will happen. Something has to happen to stop the talking; speak with your talkers after class and let them know in the future if they make the choice to continue to distrupt class they will give you no choice but to - keep them 2 minutes after the bell rings, afterschool dentention in your room, (if your school allows) lunch dentention, phone calls home, or whatever else you can think of. Hope this helps

5. worrywart

worrywart Companion

Sep 18, 2010

OP: Have you tried calling parents during class or having them call home during class? Or the 'I'm sorry but if you are not able to be quiet and productive in class you are welcome to stay after'..Definitely assigned seats if you haven't already. Even to the point of keeping the offender in another area.

NEWBEE:
    Assigning seats is not drastic! It is an important part of behavior managment. Separate the talkers and move again as needed. Have clear expectations as to behavior when they come in (warm-up) and what you expect during classtime.

If you don't get a handle on it now, it will get worse. Also, these students are interrupting other student's learning and that is not fair to the ones who want to learn.

Good luck!!

6. CubbieFan

CubbieFan Rookie

Sep 19, 2010

I have already assigned seats. I've had to REASSIGN seats as well. It's a major problem in two of my classes, the majority of the students are disruptive. The other 3 classes are fine. They do not stop unless I raise my voice and firmly tell them to stop. I hate having to yell over them to talk. What do I do if they skip the after-school detention??

7. eddygirl

eddygirl Companion

Sep 19, 2010

In the few cases I've had when the "stare" doesn't work, I have fallen back on the old-school "writing lines." I tell them to write "I will not talk in class" 200 times (I make it an excessive amount on purpose.) If they talk again, they have to get it signed by their parents; if they act like little kids, they can get their punishment signed like little kids.

I know some teachers would disagree with this strategy, but I think it does have its good points. First, they can't talk while they're writing furiously to finish in class. Secondly, if it is something simple and repetitive, they don't have to think about it much, so they are still listening to the lesson without the opportunity to be disruptive. A couple of times of writing lines usually stops the talkers, without stopping me from presenting a lesson.

Also, I don't think assigned seats is a punishment. If students are in alpha-order, it is much easier to take attendance and pass back papers. The only time(s) I move kids out of alpha-order is if they are talking to neighbors or if they need accomodations, like being closer to the board.

8. INteacher

INteacher Aficionado

Sep 19, 2010

In my case, students know if they don't make my afterschool dentention they will then get a referral to the dean. At that point, the referral includes the excessive talking (because the student never served my dentention), disrupting class (again because of not serving my dentention) and now insubordination because of the no-show for my dentention. The most important part of controlling the excessive talking I think is first on Monday inform your students the excessive talking has to stop, it's rude, it disrupts the learning process for everyone and if you choose to continue talking I will have no choice but to . . then whatever options you decide upon. And then you MUST follow through.

9. Sshintaku

Sshintaku Comrade

Sep 19, 2010

Yes, ASSIGN SEATS! :)

Also, staying after class for time wasted in class (or lunch, after school, recess, whatever works for you), has worked well for me with chatty classes.

I think too though, that they need *some* chance to talk. Sitting silently for an hour is a lot for kids. Just make sure their talking time is constructive (think, pair, shares?), and certainly not when you're trying to give instruction.

10. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Sep 19, 2010

I agree with this on all points.

11. love2teach_art

love2teach_art Rookie

Sep 24, 2010

I thought I was the only one struggling with this issue!!!!
    I'm so glad to hear that there are others out there and that we can support one another.
    It is also my first time teaching h.s. I did 5 + years in elementary.
    I got whooped big time this week by students because we had new seating arrangement for the entire class (I wanted to separate the talkers and to make things fair, I gave the entire class new seats)
    Two of my seniors really DID not like the idea.
    The senior boy got up, upset and stormed out of the room, saying he was going to drop his class. His girlfriend, also a senior gave me an attitude the whole period, although she moved to her new seat.

It really didn't help to refer the senior boy bc I haven't heard from the dean after 2 days.
    And I contacted counselors and case manager for support with the girl, but to my surprise I did not get much help. :(

To make the matters worse, the case manager read aloud my email concerning the girl. And of course the next day, which was today, the girl came in furious bc she thought I was going behind her back to talk to her couselor and case worker about her.

These two seniors are influencing my younger guys in a negative way.
    There's a huge power struggle happening in this class now.
    The senior boy and the girl, talking with other guys.
    Didn't really hear the convo, but perhaps pursuading them to drop my class together as a group????
    The rest of my 25 students are angels. They are not involved with these 2 seniors. They are well behaved and hard working.
    It is too bad the oldest students have to influence younger guys in such a negative way.

Don't know what to do. :*( help!

12. love2teach_art

love2teach_art Rookie

Sep 24, 2010

I do the "stare" alot with my high school kids
    But according to my sassy senior girl,
    I am apparently being disrespectful and thought I should always add "please" to my instructions. But I'm think these students are juniors and seniors so they know why I'm giving them the "stare"
    and I don't think I should ask them with "please" when they are being disruptive and they know they aren't supposed to do something.
    What do you guys all think?