excessive ear piercing

Discussion in 'General Education' started by futureteach24, May 29, 2013.

1. futureteach24

futureteach24 Companion

May 29, 2013

I know most body piercings are not allowed. However, my work dress code says can have earrings as long as I don't have "excessive" ear piercings. I have 2 lobes and my right cartilage pierced. If I get my left tragus pierced is this excessive? I'm in my mid 20s, btw.

3. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

May 29, 2013

I don't personally think it's excessive although I don't like some of those, but I think some districts mig think the two "different" piercings would qualify as excessive. I'd just ask. Or not...they probably wouldn't notice or care enough to say anything. :)

4. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

May 30, 2013

I think it's probably fine. I have two cartilage piercings and I think most people probably don't even notice since my hair is always down. But if you're concerned, then I wouldn't get the tragus piercing.

5. bison

bison Habitué

May 30, 2013

I think it really depends on your school's culture. It'd be no big deal at some schools here, a huge no-no at others. If you're not sure, I wouldn't risk it.

6. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

May 30, 2013

My school is extremely conservative and it is accepted. Besides, most of the time you can't see it unless you have very short hair or wear a ponytail.

7. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

May 30, 2013

I live in a conservative area. I have 5 lobe and 1 cartlidge piercing. My hair is always down, but even when I wear a headband I don't think people really notice.

Last edited: May 30, 2013
  8. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

May 30, 2013

I think I'd notice six ear piercings... Not in a bad way, but I'd notice if I talked to you, surely.

9. Ms.SLS

Ms.SLS Cohort

May 30, 2013

I have 3 lobe on each side, 2 cartilage on one and 1 cartilage on the other. And a nose stud. It's never been an issue for me.

I would say though, cartilage is what people would consider "extreme" and raise an eyebrow at, if anything. Although depending on your area, extreme could be gauges or other things like that? Do you have another teacher you could ask?

10. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

May 30, 2013

I had six lobe piercings in my 20s. The dimples from four of them are visible but I let them close, mostly because they never healed properly and I've gotten to the point that I rarely wear jewelry besides my wedding band. Honestly, I think tragus piercings are cute as long as they are maintained and kept healthy.

11. lucybelle

lucybelle Connoisseur

May 30, 2013

Not excessive at all. Tragus piercings are super cute! I had one, and it fell out :(

I think excessive would be maybe ears stretched over a 0, or over 10 piercings in one ear.

(I currently have 3 lobe piercings in each ear, a rook piercing and an anti tragus. My first lobe hole is stretched to a 10 gauge.)

12. mkate

mkate Comrade

May 30, 2013

Well, I have to say that this thread (coupled with Google Images) has provided me with quite an education in ear piercing vocabulary! :)

13. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

May 30, 2013

I had to look up what a tragus piercing was. :p

I think this is one of those cases where it might depend on your gender. I think many piercings for women is pretty much the norm. However if a guy came in with six piercings, he would be asked to take some or all of them out.

14. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

May 30, 2013

Again, that depends on the school. I've worked with a male teacher who had a visible tongue piercing, multiple ear piercings, and an "industrial piercing", which is a rod through the cartilage:
    [​IMG]
    This wasn't a problem for the school, which is one of the few IB programs in the region. It mattered that he was able to work with some of the tougher ED students in the school and get positive results from them. That being said, he probably would have had some raised eyebrows in other schools a little further away from the urban core and suburban ring we're in here.

15. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

May 30, 2013

Eek! I just Google searched for 10 gauge piercing to see a quick image of what that looks like...and got a big ol' penis with a hoop earring in the end!

16. lucybelle

lucybelle Connoisseur

May 30, 2013

:lol::lol::lol:

[​IMG]

There's a better one for you!:thumb: I mostly wear studs in my gauged holes and most people don't even know they're stretched. Also, if I take them out they'll close up to a normal size or even close completely. That's why I'm not going to go any bigger.

I used to have a dermal anchor behind my ear. It was super cool! Got rejected after about 1.5 years though. I'd like to get it put back in one day.

Exactly like this

[​IMG]

17. Cerek

Cerek Aficionado

May 30, 2013

I would say anything more than 2 piercings per ear would be considered "excessive" by many schools. I think 10 piercings would be considered excessive by any school with such a policy.

18. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

May 30, 2013

:yeahthat:

I have each ear lobe pierced once. No desire to do more. Although my daughter has her ears double pierced & a belly button ring.

19. Rebel1

Rebel1 Connoisseur

May 30, 2013

I have 6 on one ear and 7 on the other, BUT only use the ones at the very bottom of my ears for my diamond earring, and one on the top of my left ear for a gold post. My best friend and I had a competition of who's going to have the most holes. We did them on our own with just needles and ice. I WON! Once in a while I use the other holes but they are just reminders of the crazy things I did in College.
    Rebel1

20. ChemTeachBHS

ChemTeachBHS Comrade

May 30, 2013

I have a tragus piercing in each ear. No one has ever said anything about them.

21. mkbren88

mkbren88 Cohort

May 30, 2013

I have my ears pierced twice, and my tragus and it's never been an issue. I rarely wear earrings in my regular ear piercings, but I never take my tragus out.

22. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

May 30, 2013

DD just asked to have her cartilage pierced!

23. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

May 30, 2013

I got my first one done in college and my mom was really upset about it. My family doesn't really like any piercings. How do you feel about it?

I really want another ear lobe piercing (I only have one each), but my ears are too small! I've been to about 3-4 places to see if anyone would do it, but they can't.

24. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

May 30, 2013

I told her no. Of course, she's old enough that if she wants it done, she can do it. I'm just glad she asked me about it. Knowing her, she will do it eventually.

25. lucybelle

lucybelle Connoisseur

May 30, 2013

I got a second hole in 7th grade, had cartilage by 8th, belly button by 10th, and many many more followed. As long as I paid for it my mom was cool with it :) I love my piercings!

26. bison

bison Habitué

May 31, 2013

I had my cartilage pierced a couple of times in middle and high school with my mom's permission (it closed up it between). I thought it was cute, but uncomfortable to sleep on, so I didn't keep it. I don't have anything against piercings, but I grew out of the desire and don't have anything but two holes in each ear. I only ever use the first set. I actually kind of forgot that I have two until I just typed that!

27. SF_Giants66

SF_Giants66 Cohort

May 31, 2013

What exactly is the thought process besides not allowing piercings anyway? I never really understood what is so bad about them?

28. Mr.history

Mr.history Cohort

May 31, 2013

You just made me spit mtn dew all over my computer screen. :lol:

I don't know any guys with ear piercings currently. I don't think its really a popular thing to do now. I guess its not taboo like it was in the 90's(or earlier?). When I met my fiance she had an eye brow ring. Within like a week of dating the first time it was gone. I asked her why a few years later and she told me I kept staring at it. :lol: I'm not really into the piercing/tattoo thing. Luckilly she didn't have tattoos.(major turn off)

29. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

May 31, 2013

I don't think I know anyone with a tragus piercing.

I'm in a conservative area. I can count on one hand the number of teachers I know with visible tattoos and/or mutiple ear piercing and none are in my current district.

30. lucybelle

lucybelle Connoisseur

May 31, 2013

Well placement is certainly something to consider. Are you talking ear piercings, or all body piercings?

I think there's lots of threads about whether piercings and tattoos are appropriate in professional environments.