Excessive absences .... help!

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by historyteacher09, Mar 17, 2017.

1. historyteacher09

historyteacher09 Rookie

Mar 17, 2017

I teach 8th grade history.....
    I have one student who has missed probably half of the school days in this past 9 weeks. Most recently, my students have be working on a little Project based learning where they take on the role of a teacher and teach an assigned topic to the class.

This particular student has missed ALL of this week and therefore missed ALL of the project. I am not even sure if he will come to school today. Any suggestions on what to do for this kid?

I should note that when this student is here he does EVERYTHING he can to try and get out of doing his work. He manipulates teachers and tries to leave class frequently for whatever reason he can come up with... (We have recently put a stop to this but still) He also missed my last PBL activity... where I exempted him since he literally showed up to school on presentation day.

Im a new teacher so I'm just lost as to what to do for this student - any advice suggestions appreciated.

3. Committed2DaProfession

Committed2DaProfession Rookie

Mar 17, 2017

I teach 8th grade history(2nd year) and I have had several students like this.

First, make sure that you are marking him absent everyday. You'd be shocked by how many teachers don't take attendance consistently. This one step will prevent headaches for you later on when the truancy issue comes up.

Second, call the parent (document the call). This will let the parent know about assignments that their child is missing. If the parent doesn't pick up, leave a note in Gradespeed or email the parent. The phone calls/notes/emails will keep the child or parent from saying that you never told them about the situation when the child fails the class.

Hope this helps.

4. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Mar 17, 2017

In my state this student would receive a denial of credit and an automatic F.

5. geoteacher

geoteacher Devotee

Mar 17, 2017

Also, are you following up with your admin? It sounds like it may be time to consider a trip to truancy court.

6. Secondary Teach

Secondary Teach Companion

Mar 17, 2017

If the student is as motivated to work in class as you say he is when he is in class, then it truly sounds like it's a problem with the parents. I think you know this too. You can try allowing the student to make up work, excuse some work, or complete an alternative but similar assignment for the grade. It doesn't seem right to punish the student if he's trying and the absences are not his fault. There may or may not be a reason why as to why he's missing class or wanting to leave early, could be a case of bullying or some other non seen problem occurring at school or home. Consider using a student parent teacher conference, with any supporting documents. Please update what happens.
    :)

7. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Mar 17, 2017

It doesn't sound like he's motivated to work at all.

Is there anyway to get every single one of his teachers together for a conference?

8. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Mar 17, 2017

I think you misread the OP. The student actively refuses to work when he is present.

9. Jerry Dill

Jerry Dill Companion

Mar 18, 2017

I teach at a private school, so the students who miss graded assignments without making up the graded assignments either fail or get special accommodations (like with one girl who had a suicide attempt) to finish up the semester with lesser requirements.

10. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Mar 18, 2017

sounds like he has a lot of homework. I would not work harder than him at getting his work done. I'd offer up an alternate assignment that doesn't require groups and have a firm due date. Either submit digitally or make him responsible for it the moment he does walk in. If he's absent on the day you assign a project, email his parent the instructions and say it is due on X date or the next day after that when he comes to class. And give a zero if he doesn't present when he comes back.

I've noticed that absences and tardies don't get parents' attention. But zeros do.