Excell spreadsheet-class library

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by hdavidson, Jun 17, 2008.

1. hdavidson

hdavidson Companion

Jun 17, 2008

Does anyone have or use a spreadsheet to keep track of their classroom library books? I was thinking that maybe even the kids could use this spreadsheet to check books in and out...

3. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Jun 17, 2008

I hadn't thought of this, but it seems like a good idea. I'm imagining columns for author, title, book in, book out (student name). I think Excel allows you to lock columns so the content can't be changed, so once you entered author/title, that content could be protected against wrong clicks. Neat!

4. corps2005

corps2005 Cohort

Jun 17, 2008

5. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Jun 17, 2008

I feel like crying! I had done this and my TA and I had logged 400 + books, which is NOT even half of my collection! Then my hard drive crashed and I lost it all.

Back it up, if this is what you plan on doing!

I liked it because I had a section for level, author, title and # of copies. I planned to have this help me find good books for kids and also guided reading sets. I may do it again before the summer is up, if I am not too bitter!

6. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Jun 17, 2008

I'm so sorry, MissFroggy. When I started my spreadsheet, I had students go through the books and write the author and title and series (if applicable) on a slip of paper. Then I collected all the slips and entered them into the spreadsheet. I think it took the kids a whole afternoon, but then I could just take the slips home and enter the information, instead of lugging books over to my computer. It helped students become familiar with the books, too.