Excel Tutorial

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by mstnteacherlady, Jul 25, 2012.

1. mstnteacherlady

mstnteacherlady Cohort

Jul 25, 2012

A friend has asked me about helping her with learning basic features of Excel for her job. She's having a hard time waiting until I can get through some of these professional development days though. Does anyone know of any good online tutorials that could help her get started with some of the basics in Excel? I did a brief Google search, but I wasn't satisfied with the ones that I found there. Any suggestions?

3. Mrs. K.

Mrs. K. Enthusiast

Jul 25, 2012

Did you look at office.microsoft.com? There are version-specific tutorials (for the 2003, 2007, and 2010 releases).

4. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Fanatic

Jul 25, 2012

Youtube

5. mollydoll

mollydoll Connoisseur

Jul 25, 2012

Why can't she buy a book? There are dozens of books on Amazon. She can read a few reviews and find one that works. She shouldn't be putting this on you (as it sounds from your post).

The SAMS Teach Yourself... Books are good, as are the Microsoft Press books. She can no doubt find a good one under $10 and can then work through at her own pace.

6. mstnteacherlady

mstnteacherlady Cohort

Jul 25, 2012

Thanks! I will pass on the suggestions. :)

7. 3Sons

3Sons Enthusiast

Jul 25, 2012

Is there a specific type of job she's looking for? It's an app with quite a lot of uses and depending on what she wants to do she might consider focusing on different aspects of what it can do.

For example, if she's going to be in a marketing or sales function she'd want to know a good bit of charting, whereas if she's maintaining balance sheets she'd be well-served by knowing the formulas.

If she's really very basic then it probably doesn't matter much, since she will probably want a rudimentary understanding of most of it, at least enough so that she can answer in interviews that she has created a chart or pivot table in excel, knows the more common mathematic functions, and recorded even simple macros.