Exasperated!

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by l8ybugmom, Aug 7, 2009.

1. l8ybugmom

l8ybugmom Groupie

Aug 7, 2009

Why is that that I have applied for numerous positions at schools and never get called to interview at those schools? I know I should be happy that schools are at least posting openings but it is frustrating to have to keep reapplying to the schools over and over again. Maybe it is my CL or my lack of experience but geez! Maybe if I keep applying they'll eventually get the clue to give me an interview...and of course my plan would be to blow their socks off and land the job. :)

BTW, no word on the 3rd grade position...Still waiting. At 10 am they still had not named anyone according to the secretary. In TN, we have tax free weekend and I'd really like to go shopping for classroom supplies. We have an almost 10% sales tax in my area so that would be big savings! I'm tempted to email the P and AP but I'm afraid that could be considered annoying since I'm sure the secretary told them I called earlier today.

3. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Aug 7, 2009

:hugs: I hate waiting!!! There are two principals in my district that had to be getting tired of seeing my resume come up in their email because every opening they had, I applied and emailed them my CL and resume. One had the foresight to actually call for an interview and hired me within 2 hours of the interview (of course its an aide position, but I'm hoping to blow his sox off with my work;))

4. l8ybugmom

l8ybugmom Groupie

Aug 7, 2009

Ah so my plan may just work, huh? :) I'm sure you'll blow his socks off and he'll hire YOU for a full time teaching position! :)

5. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Aug 7, 2009

Yes, I would at least wait until Monday since you already called and talked with the secretary. I know it is infuriating. But, really what are the options???

6. l8ybugmom

l8ybugmom Groupie

Aug 7, 2009

I could find out where they live and stalk them! :) Just kidding of course. Wouldn't that be something to see on the news though? Oh my! I bet it has happened before especially in this economy. I think my chances would be better if I just called on Monday though! LOL! And less chance of going to jail, which would be a bad career move.

7. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Aug 7, 2009

Just go out and start mowing their lawn with one of those sandwich boards saying "GIVE ME A JOB!! I'M THE BEST TEACHER AROUND!" :lol:

8. l8ybugmom

l8ybugmom Groupie

Aug 7, 2009

Stg, that would work and I don't think I could really get arrested for that! :)

9. katrinkakat

katrinkakat Connoisseur

Aug 8, 2009

Thats hysterical STG! :haha:

10. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 8, 2009

Do you think perhaps your resume and cover need tweaking? Those are major components when deciding who does or doesn't get an interview.

11. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Aug 8, 2009

I think I like the whole stalking idea... We could stake out the P and go through his desk drawer, put YOUR name on an email to HR and BAM... you have a job!

12. l8ybugmom

l8ybugmom Groupie

Aug 8, 2009

Czacza, I'm constantly tweaking my cl. Not so much my resume because I don't know what I'd change on it. I think it is pretty solid--I don't have a lot of experience except my student teaching and practicums and I list out what I did for each. I had everything looked over by the career counselors at my previous university. I think that basically there are just a lot of us teachers and just so many spots so they just pick and choose. But I'll def take a look at each to see what I can do.

SCT, sounds like a plan! :)

13. SpecialEdTeache

SpecialEdTeache Companion

Aug 8, 2009

bugmom, hi. I know it is frustrating. I'm going thru the same thing. Since the good supplies go fast, why not just buy up a bunch of supplies that are pretty safe bets, and then keep your receipt in case you have to return them?

14. l8ybugmom

l8ybugmom Groupie

Aug 10, 2009

I know for sure I did not get the third grade position that I really wanted. School started today and I'm feeling pretty low. I just never thought THIS would happen to ME. I'm sure I'm not the only one saying that. I just don't know what to do to get hired. I feel fortunate to have moved away from Broward County, FL (where there was no hope of finding a job) to TN, where they are hiring. I've had a few interviews since moving but what else can I do? I can't even get P's to call me back for aide positions. Maybe it's my CL or my resume, or maybe it is just me. I don't know. I'm feeling at a loss. I can't sub because I need benefits but I'm thinking of going ahead and doing it until I can find another job since those are slim pickins as well. We do still have COBRA, albeit expensive.

This is just so frustrating. I'm sorry to bring whoever "down" that is reading this but I'm feeling crushed and just need to vent to those of you who understand. No one truly knows how we feel except those of us who are still looking...hubbys, wives, significant others can give us hugs or support but until they've been where we are...they don't know what we're going through.

Thanks for letting me vent (again). I'm just so grateful to have a place to go to for support and just to let me unload.

15. Jlyn07

Jlyn07 Comrade

Aug 10, 2009

Don't apologize for venting - that's what this board is for. A lot of us are in the same position so hearing someone else complain makes us (at least, me) feel better. It's nice to know that I'm not alone.

This is my third summer looking and all throughout the spring I was telling everybody "this summer I WILL get a job and I WILL be teaching in the fall" - its not that I was that confident but I thought if I kept telling myself I would have a job, I would get one. This summer has been successful for me; I've had six interviews and while I don't have a permanent position, I do have a maternity leave for the first couple months of school. I'm extremely grateful to have this opportunity but it's still a disappointment - I really believed I would get a job.

16. McKennaL

McKennaL Groupie

Aug 10, 2009

Hold the phone! 10% off?

I'm coming to KY. WE are going shopping... and on September 1st... we'll hire someone for 4% to take our purchases back (of course, credit them back to OUR accounts) and charge it up to to a wild, girls weekend!

Whatcha say?

17. l8ybugmom

l8ybugmom Groupie

Aug 10, 2009

McKenna, I'm in TN. And our sales tax free weekend is over! I didn't even buy a thing! Not even for the kids. I was already done with them.

18. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Aug 10, 2009

PM me. You can send me your resume and I can give it a look if you would like. I have helped a few people on the board get jobs. I am reliable. If you aren't sure, I come with references. But seriously, I would be happy to look it over for you, if you would like. I have been on many interview teams, so I do have some insight.:hugs:

19. suzerich

suzerich Companion

Aug 10, 2009

I feel the same way that you do. It is so frustrating. I think mine is a lot of factors, besides the fact that I'm an ACP candidate. I've applied for aides, secretaries and teaching positions, and only had one interview this summer and one last fall. Its getting depressing. I did attend a third district's sub orientation today, the same district where my interview was. They at least offer $10 more a day than the other two districts and are very close to my son's school. It's just very hard getting him to school and me to school when it is not a set schedule. He always has to make it to school at least 30 minutes earlier than normal if I'm subbing. That's particularly hard when its a last minute call.

20. l8ybugmom

l8ybugmom Groupie

Aug 10, 2009

Suzerich, I know what you are saying. Toward the end of last school year, I couldn't sub that much unless I had a day's notice so someone could take my daughter to school (my hubby had already started his new job out of state). Hubby and I just talked and I'm going to apply to sub tomorrow just in case it takes me awhile to get a job outside of education IF I don't get hired soon. We'll see. Good luck to you! :)