exactly what do you review at the beg. of the year?

Discussion in 'Second Grade' started by patti2, Aug 20, 2007.

1. patti2

patti2 Cohort

Aug 20, 2007

Do you go clear back to vowel sounds and CVC words? I feel that is where I have to start with the kids who come to me.

3. MissHunny

MissHunny Comrade

Aug 20, 2007

In second grade I am more focused on comprehension rather than decoding..but of course it will all depend on your group of kids. We still do word work, but it is not as much as a focus.

4. jeanie

jeanie Companion

Aug 21, 2007

I don't think that I spend a great deal of time in the beginnning of the year reviewing. Our elementary curriculum tends to spiral... that is, you revisit many things throughout the year(s). By second grade, most kids will basically understand decoding. Some just don't apply the skill, or are slow because they feel inadequate. Fluency and comprehension are the next big topics. But if you have some kids who don't understand decoding, or still don't know all of their letter sounds, it won't help them much if you don't address that. Quick review won't hurt the kids who already know and will strengthen the ones who feel unsure, but I would be careful to avoid holding the whole group back, just because of the few. Or worse, bore the ones who really "had it" already in Kindergarten, because there probably be a few of those too. I always try to think of some way to make the review fun... sort of game-like, with some element of new-ness.

5. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 21, 2007

I do this in spelling work/ word work but not reading workshop...