Evil Principal Haunting Me! (vent)

Discussion in 'General Education' started by rachaelski, Aug 30, 2009.

1. rachaelski

rachaelski Habitué

Aug 30, 2009

I had a horrible year last year. Our school went through 3 principals, with the last being totally evil. (For example, she began her introduction to us by saying, I could have chosen to hire an entirely new staff, but I decided to work with you guys.) Days after she came on, I had decided not to come back the following year (this was in November). My fiance and I wanted to move back near his family and I was going to pursue my PhD.

Days before my job ended, there was a newspaper story written about our school (a big name charter, part of a national organization), in which the principal blamed issues on the "original staff" and made it sound as if she fired us all. There were a lot of upset people and our business manager found out through the newspaper that she would not have a job for the following school year.

Well, now another article was published (a friend sent it to me) and it is about the poor test scores from our school compared to awesome ones from another charter. Again, she eludes to the fact that it was all on the teachers!

I have no trouble accepting responsibility, however there is some responsibility to be taken by the school and organization as well. I was hired to teach ELA, which was what I had experience in! A week in, I was switched to a social studies teacher! I had no experience (which wasn't a big deal) AND we did not have any textbooks. I had no idea to what depth I needed to cover parts of history. I was hand creating all readings and assignments, coupled with me being completely miserable. In addition, it was the grade where students are initially taking the Social Studies standardized tests. I had to try to cover 3 years of Social Studies content (most elementary teachers don't teach Social Studies because it is not tested). The kids did better on Social Studies than they did Math or Science and the same as reading.

I just hate this principal for taking the easy way out and wholly blaming this on us! The kids saw 2 different principals (one who was a talented leader and a black male (the kids desperately needed a strong black male role model)) leave them. They saw teachers being berated by the principal on a daily basis. They went through numerous schedule changes from December through June. It just makes me so mad.

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 30, 2009

Be glad it's behind you!!

Do you have a new job in your new location?

4. schoolteacher

schoolteacher Habitué

Aug 30, 2009

I am sorry you are in this position. It sounds very distressing.

5. rachaelski

rachaelski Habitué

Aug 30, 2009

Czacza, I actually got 4 job offers here! This time, I picked based on how I felt about the P and the AP. I probably chose the lowest paying job (at a catholic school), but I love every minute of it after 3 weeks!

6. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 30, 2009

Good for you rachael!! Congrats on the new job and for leaving the past behind...Karma will come around to that evil P. :cool:

7. futureteach21

futureteach21 Habitué

Aug 30, 2009

That would fire me up as well. Some people have no place in schools. At least you are in a great place now!

8. Dzenna

Dzenna Groupie

Aug 30, 2009

Rachel- I remember when you posted the original article. If this one is anything like the other, the P will come off as a tyrant blaming everyone else for her lack of management skills.

Shake the dust off your feet and enjoy a position where you truly belong!

9. chemteach55

chemteach55 Connoisseur

Aug 30, 2009

Enjoy this year and do not worry about last. It is a shame how much a principal can make or break a school. A bad principal gets everyone down and nothing seems to work out right. I thank God everyday for my great principal because at my last job, I had an awful principal.

10. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 30, 2009

That's one of the many great things about teaching-- a new year means a totally new start.

I'm so glad you're enjoying your new school!

11. rachaelski

rachaelski Habitué

Aug 30, 2009

Thank you everyone! I wish my friend had not sent me the article...oh well!

And I hope my old school does well this year...it's about the kids and they deserve the best. The school does have potential to be an amazing school.

12. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Aug 30, 2009

That's just unbelievable! I agree with the others-maybe this was meant to happen because they need you where you are now.

And as to the old P - how is she going to explain it when their scores are low again this year (because you know they will be, the leadership isn't going to be better). The truth will come out, don't worry.

13. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Aug 30, 2009

At least this is all behind you now and you found a great new job!

14. krysmorgsu

krysmorgsu Cohort

Aug 30, 2009

It's good that you moved on, and are happier, because no one needs that sort of negativity. I'm guessing that you are not the only teacher who left because of this woman. It's a shame, because in the end the kids will suffer from her poor leadership. Think of the positive, though: now a whole new group of students will get the benefits of having you as their teacher, and you'll do much better at a job you love!

15. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Aug 30, 2009

People who always blaming others come off as irresponsible and most people will recognize that a true leader would have focused on how she could have influenced the school for the better. I don't blame my kids for not teaching themselves, I look at how I can be a better teacher (and classroom leader).

16. ambritlit

ambritlit Companion

Aug 30, 2009

Rachaelski, I hope you have a wonderful year. I loved teaching at Catholic school. I only left because of cutbacks in staff due to low enrollment. I would go back in a heartbeat.

17. Missy99

Missy99 Connoisseur

Aug 30, 2009

What is stopping you from writing a letter to the editor with your rebuttals? Go for it!!!

18. rachaelski

rachaelski Habitué

Aug 30, 2009

I am thinking about it now! I just noticed there was an editorial as well, which stated that all staff from the previous year were let go per the board. Um, I was not let go. I told the P that I was leaving right after she came on board.

The better me wants to just let it go...

19. 100%Canadian

100%Canadian Companion

Aug 31, 2009

Yikes! At least you're away from it all now. Still frustrating though. It'll be interesting to see if there's a change in the scores this coming year. That's an article you might want your friend to send to you...

20. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Aug 31, 2009

I'm glad you escaped, but, I'm feeling really sorry for any of the teachers who were left behind and are still suffering with the ogre principal.

21. Genmai

Genmai Companion

Aug 31, 2009

It is great to hear that you're happy and doing well. It is really disheartening when good teachers get shafted by poor administration, and I'm glad to hear that you survived your terrible year without losing hope for the field. I truly hope that your year continues to go well.

:D

22. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Aug 31, 2009

I hope your new position continues to fulfill you this year! Good for you. How unprofessional of that principal. Ugh.

23. LMath85

LMath85 Companion

Aug 31, 2009

Just think of the wonderful year you have ahead of you! Best of luck and leave this one in the past. You are better off!