Evidence!!

Discussion in 'General Education' started by NewTeacher12345, Dec 22, 2019.

1. NewTeacher12345

NewTeacher12345 Rookie

Dec 22, 2019

Hi everyone-as a new teacher im new to the whole SMART goals thing. Idk if its different depending on the state, but im from MA. I set 2 smart goals at the beginning of the year with my principal. I am confused on the end of year evaluation/evidence binder. Ive heard from so many people many different things. I know that were supposed to have 12 pieces of evidence. Is this only in relation to the SMART goals or other aspects of teaching too?? There are like 15 indicators too so idk how this makes sense or how im supposed to cover them all/if im even supposed to. Could someone please explain the requirements for their school to me. thank you!!!

3. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

4. Ms.Holyoke

Ms.Holyoke Connoisseur

Dec 23, 2019

I teach in MA. Do you have a mentor? I would definitely ask him/her these questions first.

The advice that I’ve been given says that you should find evidence that covers more than one standard so you can check off multiple boxes. I uploaded about 9 pieces of evidence for my mid-year review but my principal said I only needed about 5. You want to make sure you have some evidence towards your student learning goal and your professional practice goal. You can check off other boxes with this evidence too. For things like family communication, I sent screenshots of emails. You could also do a phone log or something similar.

5. NewTeacher12345

NewTeacher12345 Rookie

Dec 23, 2019

Thank you! What I am wondering is... for family communication, how does this relate to my smart goals? or does it not have to?

6. Ms.Holyoke

Ms.Holyoke Connoisseur

Dec 23, 2019

It might not relate to your smart goals. It doesn’t for mine. But I was able to check off the parent/family engagement box and a few others.

7. NewTeacher12345

NewTeacher12345 Rookie

Dec 23, 2019

Hmm.. okay-so the 12 pieces of evidence is like anything that covers one of the indicators? Is there a minimum/max you're supposed to have for each goal or is it a general evaluation. Is it a problem if some indicators aren't covered?