Everything Montessori

Discussion in 'Montessori' started by MzMooreTeaches, Jun 27, 2010.

1. MzMooreTeaches

MzMooreTeaches Cohort

Jun 27, 2010

I'm currently reseraching and finding information about everything Montessori. I'm particulary interested in blogs that have lesson plans attached to them, as well as ideas. Perhaps even a blog where someone has been blogging about their progress and growth as a Montessori Teacher.

I have found the following blogs and love them:
    My Montessori Journey & Montessori Mama... any others out there that I'm missing.

Thanks!

3. tracykaliski

tracykaliski Connoisseur

Jun 27, 2010

As far as materials go, you can check out:

www.montessorimaterials.org

They have lots of good basics to print out and you can get an idea of some of the things you'll be required to use.

I've used a lot of their stuff in my space.

Some of it is for an elementary class (6-9) so be careful.

4. MzMooreTeaches

MzMooreTeaches Cohort

Jun 27, 2010

Thanks it will be the prek/k classroom. But i find out tomorrow! Praying and thinking positive thoughts!

5. tracykaliski

tracykaliski Connoisseur

Jun 27, 2010

good luck!

6. MzMooreTeaches

MzMooreTeaches Cohort

Jul 1, 2010

I got the job! School starts very soon! July 28th is the first workday! I have so much to do... so little time! So I'm going to have a ton of questions over the next several weeks.

My first being. How do you let children choose their centers? I know in Montessori classrooms children are encouraged to complete an activity before they choose another center. I believe in the beginning we will need to use a center choice signs with the kids names and pics on them so they will know who is where as well as if the center is full as well as a way of learning their names.

What do you use?

7. tracykaliski

tracykaliski Connoisseur

Jul 1, 2010

Everything is put on shelves, and children choose what they want to use from the shelf and take it to either a table or a rug on the floor. Nothing is really assigned to the children, and they're not considered "centers". We call it "work".

Will you have someone who is Montessori trained to help you in setting up the classroom?

In order for it to be truly successful according to the montessori philosophy, I highly encourage you to look up and find some reading on Montessori philosophy. And then read it. You almost have to take what you know about traditional education and put it to the side in order to be truly successful in a Montessori classroom.

8. MzMooreTeaches

MzMooreTeaches Cohort

Jul 1, 2010

Yes I'm going to have a mentor as well as someone to work with me on how the first month or so should look.

I'm off work for the next several days so I'm going to engross myself and organize all the information and my thoughts that I have been collecting over the past week.

So there will be some assistance.

I figured with the reading I have done so far that I would be throwing all the traditional methods of learning out the window... but the more I read the more the hands on learning and allowing the children to learn through exploring and the teacher is the guide who extends learning... fits with the creative curriculum ideas... very interesting.

9. tracykaliski

tracykaliski Connoisseur

Jul 2, 2010

You sound like you're going to do a great job. :)

I forgot....will you be working with 3-6 yr old children or 6-9 yr old children?

I teach 3-6 yr old children and at the beginning of the year the returning children will know the routines of how to get out their own work, etc. The new children will need support and guidance in how to get things out and put them away when they're finished. Usually by October I have what we call a "normalized" classroom, where everyone is pretty much in the flow of what they're supposed to be doing. The 3 yr olds always take longer to normalize just because they're 3 and they're doing exactly what their development tells them they should be doing. :)

Okay....I just went back and read. You'll be in a 3-6 classroom! I'm assuming there will be returning children from last year.

Use your mentor and ask many many many many questions.

Here's a link to our school's website with some general information on it:

http://www.thenewschool.cc/programs/programs.html#preprimary

10. MzMooreTeaches

MzMooreTeaches Cohort

Jul 2, 2010

Thanks Tracy! You have been extremely helpful. I have a running list of questions that I have been taking down so I will add that to it. Only thing that is throwing me off is the fact that it's a public school, montessori, magnet, title 1... meaning our prek students can not come to school until they are 4 by August... (cant remember exact date.) So it may be more like a 4-6 class Because of the age requirement for public school. (i'm going to double check this though).

11. tracykaliski

tracykaliski Connoisseur

Jul 2, 2010

Oh, okay....that's a whole different ballgame, then, if it's a public school. You may not have as many materials as you might need, and you may have to supplement with your own things. It just depends upon the condition of the materials in the school.

I hope you find that you have lots of what you need! Keep me posted on how it's going.