Everything I Learned About Teaching I Learned From A Dog Trainer

Discussion in 'General Education' started by KinderCowgirl, Nov 7, 2009.

1. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Nov 7, 2009

I've still been having some issues with my puppy as we are now on trainer number 4 (had to find the right "fit"). I like this one a lot-tonight she was telling me that teachers are much more open to suggestions and understand the reasoning behind the dog training techniques better than anyone else. I see the parallels myself (can you tell it was a long drive home tonight, this is what I thinking about):

1) Praise should be earned.
    2) If it's not working, try it another way.
    3) Be patient and speak calmly at all times.
    4) Rewards should be extrinsic and intrinsic.
    5) The students need to move around a lot.
    6) You have to keep the student interested in learning.
    7) Don't give up.
    8) Don't be afraid to let them know you are in charge.
    9) Playing can still be learning.
    10) When you can see progress being made (even little victories)
    the hard work is all worth it! :)

I would also love to talk to parents the way dog trainers talk to me. They are very direct-how often did you practice this? Here's how you do it, let's see you try-nope, that's wrong, you have to do it this way. I think putting parents on the spot like that may make them practice with their kids more - did you read to your child yesterday? For how long? Nope-you need to do it more than that. :p

Just thought I'd share my obervations!

3. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Nov 7, 2009

I worked with a teacher 2 years ago that had an awful time controlling her class. For the last 2 months of school she used some of the strategies that she saw on the TV show, The Dog Whisperer, and she turned her class around.

4. Sam Aye M

Sam Aye M Mr. Know-It-All

Nov 7, 2009

Applied Behavior Analysis. Whether they realize it or not, that is what good dog trainers use to train puppies. It's also what is used to train chimps, parrots, mice, and people. We don't realize it, but we use it on ourselves all the time too, and it is used on us by other people all the time as well.

5. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Nov 7, 2009

I had a secretary once, who was a dog trainer. She often told me she used her techniques on both dogs and children.

6. Special-t

Special-t Enthusiast

Nov 8, 2009

Funny you should mention this ...

I was a dog trainer before becoming a sub (I still do dog walking and pet sitting during vacations). I'm often hesitant to tell other teachers that I was a dog trainer because I'm afraid they will think that I might equate children with dogs.

If a feel very comfortable with a particular teacher I let them know about my past career, and they will usually respond that it must come in handy when I deal with student behavior. I ALWAYS answer back with a smile and a shrug and offer the caveat that, of course, children quite different than dogs. But in my head, I'm thinking that most of my student training philosophy actually does have roots in dog training.

7. forkids

forkids Cohort

Nov 8, 2009

The Dog Whisperer does have wonderful strategies that work - especially with younger kids. I have always noticed that he uses some of the same strategies that I use with my Pre-K students. He stresses exercise, discipline, affection - who can argue with that?