Everyone should look at this... it's about automated sub caller systems

Discussion in 'Substitute Teachers' started by McKennaL, Aug 21, 2010.

1. McKennaL

McKennaL Groupie

Aug 21, 2010

I am a big You Tube head! I could spend hours surfing. Sometimes it gets me nowhere but hours older and sometimes it teaches me something.

Found this TOTALLY by accident... but it was something I never thought of.

When I was hired at a few districts, and when i was told about AESOP, I was told... "it's a wonderful system. Unlike a person calling you who you may feel bad about turning down, this system is totally automatic. It doesn't hold grudges or keep a count on when you say yes or no. It simply goes on to the next name on the call list. So you can feel free to accept or not accept."

Well... not the case. Your aacceptance or non-acceptance IS monitored. - Watch this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3whO-bx_WBs&NR=1

Sometimes i can't accept, or have another job at another district, but am just curious as to what job I COULD have had or am being offered. Hmmmm... curiosity killed the cat? or would it effect your chance for being seen as a willing sub who should be considered for further employment?

I'm just glad i found this. Now i feel the playing field is evened out. I KNOW that I am being monitored...and can choose what to do with an educated point of view.

(Added note: i am not the type of person who would claim unemployment or under-employment... but it's nice to know that hanging up or not accepting IS counted. And perhaps against you?)

3. substitutesftw

substitutesftw Companion

Aug 21, 2010

Interesting. I wonder how else monitoring can be useful to them.

4. John Lee

John Lee Groupie

Aug 21, 2010

Interesting find... I do the same thing you do.

It's funny, and it kinda reinforces how "monitored" we in society are nowadays. I am very aware of stuff like this, and trying when I can, not to be a part of it--and I never thought about aesop.

It shows how difficult it is to "fly under the radar" in today's day & age.

5. PCdiva

PCdiva Connoisseur

Aug 21, 2010

I wouldn't even think subs could claim unemployment in the first place since we are choosing to take a per diem job with no guarantees.

Interesting

6. waffles

waffles Companion

Aug 21, 2010

I find it a bit funny that that's the only video they have up. Although it is pretty recent.

Anyway, I actually like that they can do it.

I would hope that if you're in multiple districts you could get more specific details than the sheer number of times you didn't accept a job. It wouldn't be fair to hold it against you if you had to decline jobs that were the same day as when you were working somewhere else.

Same thing for declining jobs in the future. One of the districts I can work in will pay me $10 a day less. When I see those online I just decline them a lot of the time so I won't accidentally grab them later.

I would really love to see how they balance giving everyone a chance to work with skipping over people who just don't work.

7. TeacherApr

TeacherApr Groupie

Aug 21, 2010

Well, yea, of course they track you if you take jobs or not...
    One year, I got a read out of all the jobs I accepted/declined. I declined jobs that had to do with any middle school except one, I didn't want any specials except PE and there were a few teachers that I REFUSED to sub for after subbing for them once. My read out "shamed" me, as it included a letter, because I turned down a certain number of jobs. Eff them....I was a sub and it was my OPTION to take or not take jobs. I hated that district...

8. mizzkaren

mizzkaren Rookie

Aug 22, 2010

Yeah, the assistant superintendent guy at one of the districts I am in said at orientation that a lot of people call asking him why they aren't getting to sub and he pulls up a report from Subfinder and then he tells them that they have rejected every job that was offered to them.

I'm trying to figure out why Subfinder isn't calling me like it's supposed to...

I would have never thought that a sub would try to claim unemployment and he/she could get away with it!

9. McKennaL

McKennaL Groupie

Aug 22, 2010

I watched the video again....maybe I'm a glutton for punishment.

But it brings up something i saw on an online application too.

It asked if the applicant was employed by the school district. But then in huge type it said:
    "SUBSTITUTES ARE NOT CONSIDERED DISTRICT EMPLOYEES!"

And I had to sit back in my chair. WOW. That's disrespect for you. Do I consider myself employed by the districts I sub in? Yes. (Come to think about it... so does the state and federal governments)

But, sometimes we talk about the lack of respect that subs get from (not only the kids but) the schools where we work. Can you imagine the respect that this particular district would give you?

The more i think about the places I've subbed who passed on the B.S. line (form my original post) that it doesn't hold a grudge or keep count...the more I think... what a crappy employment relationship. Starting out with a lie and being one up on the poor people who help you out when YOU are in need.

I feel like kicking a can down the street (better than kicking the dog).

10. waffles

waffles Companion

Aug 22, 2010

Since my district goes through Kelly Services, I consider myself an employee of them and not the district.

11. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Aug 22, 2010

I'm not a sub, but I thought I'd chime in with a few thoughts.

As for data gathering, this, as in all sets of data can be used for good or bad purposes. If the data gathered is analyzed in a thoughtful, intelligent manner, then it's a GOOD thing. Wouldn't you rather your districts have money to pay you, instead of paying unsubstantiated unemployment claims? I know I would! Or how about having enough money to hire a few more teachers? Anywhere they can save money, that's a good thing. I know that school districts waste money on all sorts of frivolous stuff, but this is one example of trying to reign that in, and that's a good thing.

Of course, on the flip side, is when that data is used irresponsibly. Anybody with a brain knows that most professional subs work for multiple districts and have preferences for certain grade levels or subjects. I wouldn't be caught dead in an early elementary classroom unless I had NO other options. Somebody needs to first come up with a number of assignments that the "average" sub declines. This would give us a good idea of what's normal. Obviously, we have enough data though the various sub systems to come up with some pretty accurate numbers. Without a quality analysis, the numbers are useless, except for the case of proving unemployment claims baseless (if you're claiming unemployment, then you shouldn't be declining nearly everything offered).

The second thing I had thoughts about were over your employment status with a given district. Some districts do classify subs as employees. Others classify them as independent contractors. Still others sub-contract out the work. From an HR standpoint, there are pros and cons to each classification. What each district decides is usually based on financial/tax reasons, and has nothing to do with how much they value the work of the subs (usually).

12. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Aug 22, 2010

When I subbed, I always considered myself as a freelancer. They paid me to do some work for them for a time being, but that I wasn't a permanent employee.