Everyday same thing...

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by annetxa, Oct 24, 2010.

1. annetxa

annetxa Rookie

Oct 24, 2010

I have a group of 3 year old boys who just play with trucks all day. I can't get them into centers or anything productive. I wonder if I did a transportation theme, if that would help matters....Any ideas for activities or what to do to help the situation? I do not have a teacher assistant and teach all by myself.

3. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

4. mrgrinch09

mrgrinch09 Comrade

Oct 24, 2010

Put the trucks away, and they'll be forced to choose something new.

5. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Oct 24, 2010

Can you use a pocket chart or some other checklist to keep track of centers kids have attended and encourage them to try a new choice? (Sweetie, you went to trucks yesterday but you haven't been to blocks or tubs yet...Choose one of those for today please...).

6. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Oct 24, 2010

Can the trucks spend a day or two at the mechanic's, out of sight, "being fixed"???

Are the kids supposed to rotate, or do they have the freedom to choose what they want? So does Susie have to rotate to the truck section if she would rather play with the puzzles? If not, I would probably leave the boys alone. If so, I think I would formalize the rotation as czacza suggested, with a pocket chart or something.

At my kids' preschool, there was free play from 9-9:30. Then the toys went away, circle time began, and the kids were in a directed activity for the rest of the morning. (Well, aside from gym time, when they had their choice of the stuff in the gym.)

7. annetxa

annetxa Rookie

Oct 24, 2010

Yes, I think starting tomorrow after free choice time the trucks are going to the mechanic. I need some materials for my classroom like a pocket chart to organize things. This is my first year teaching and I am starting from scratch with supplies. My centers aren't labeled or anything. In the morning, the whole group of 3-5 year olds have free choice in my room and snack and I am unable to set things up. Anything I do needs to be set up after the fact.

8. mrgrinch09

mrgrinch09 Comrade

Oct 24, 2010

Before you do put the trucks away, ask yourself the following things:

What's wrong with just playing trucks? What kinds of learning are going on while they are playing with those trucks? Social Skills? Language Skills? Are they well behaved when they are engaged in truck play? If so, do you really want to mess with that?

You say you can't get them to do anything "productive". What is it that you consider to be "productive"?

9. annetxa

annetxa Rookie

Oct 24, 2010

I think it is the fact that they misbehave with the trucks that bothers me. I don't mind it as much if they didn't constantly run around the room with them screaming the whole time. I think that they need some diversity in their play. If they want to play with trucks during the morning hours when I have more help then that is different, but after a certain period of time those trucks need to go away.

10. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Oct 24, 2010

I'm guessing that boys who scream and run around with trucks will do the exact same things with blocks.

I don't think it's about the trucks, I think it's about the behavior. That's probably what you should address, not the choice of centers.

11. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Oct 24, 2010

If the girls played in housekeeping all day, every day, would you attempt to move them? I think a child who plays with the same things each day has a need to do so. But, I would provide plenty of alternatives. If they are bored, you could create more choices.

I agree that this is a behavior issue. You might want to create some other activities for them to explore.

12. kteachone

kteachone Companion

Oct 25, 2010

I would! My kids have free choice (what my program dictates) but I encourage them to try new areas.

13. WaProvider

WaProvider Fanatic

Oct 25, 2010

I think rather than moving the trucks consistantly to the mechanic or removing the center I might look into the trucks helping the children get to different areas.

I don't know how big these trucks are....so I am just punting here.

But I have had trucks in the pumpkin sensory table to load pumkins into with tweezers, I have also had pictures (the suction cup bathtub sticker) of trucks for the tweezer work. I have many books about trucks.....and yes I saw a huge student need I would totally add a vehicle theme to my lesson plan. Blocks can be added to the truck play to make ramps and so on.

As far as the running and screaming......I wouldn't like that. However, I agree that is a behavior. They will have the same issue somewhere else. Whatever you next topic is.....it needs a huge socio emotion section on how to get along w/ peers, how to make and keep friends (ie, you friends don't like to have you screaming all day) and so on.

In my opinion if you take the trucks away to the mechanic for part of the time this will only ensure that the certain group of boys will stick to them like glue when they are in the room. This will in the end only make the issue bigger.

14. gigi

gigi Groupie

Oct 25, 2010

I think allowing them to play with the trucks during free play and then removing them is a good idea. Also a chart for centers will help. I also agree it is behavioral. I once had the huge cardboard blocks in my block center and the boys were wild with them. I just removed them completely, it just seemed that these size blocks brought out their wild side.