Everyday Mathematics

Discussion in 'Second Grade' started by JoviHawk, Jun 24, 2009.

1. JoviHawk

JoviHawk Rookie

Jun 24, 2009

We just adopted the Everyday Mathematics Program. Anyone use it? Likes? Dislikes? Tips?

3. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Jun 24, 2009

I really liked it. I used just about every aspect, although I appreciated the flexability my school gave me to bring in other resources. The games and study links and math boxes are great. Lots of reinforcement.

4. terptoteacher

terptoteacher Connoisseur

Jun 24, 2009

the spiraling curriculum doesn't match our new state standards--so a commitee put in loads of hours to un-spiral it, but that left us with virtually nothing to teach in first grade, so now we are to "skim" whats not a standard.

5. shouts

shouts Companion

Jun 24, 2009

It's garbage - spiraling curriculum that uses the "new" math. Great for your upper kids (who will do well with anything) but the other half will not get enough of a foundation and flounder.

Schools are leaving Chicago Math in droves. There are many parent advocacy groups dedicated to the cause.

6. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jun 24, 2009

Hate it...Tutor two kids whose school uses it...(even though it doesn't really fit NJ curriculum:eek:)...It isn't working for these 2 kids- they feel like they are no good in math- the first grader has been in tears and I've had to 'talk her down' quite a few times...

7. Mom2two

Mom2two Companion

Jun 24, 2009

Is Everyday and Chicago very similar? Our district is piloting Everyday and another one this year. I'm surprised to hear such negative about the Everyday Math. I wish I could remember what the other series is that we are piloting?!?!?

8. shouts

shouts Companion

Jun 24, 2009

Chicago math is the method (devised by the Univ. of Chicago - the "new" math). Everyday Math is the curriculum developed to teach it.

Here's a site developed by parents railing against bad curriculum, inspired by everyday math. http://www.nychold.com/

9. JoviHawk

JoviHawk Rookie

Jun 25, 2009

I'm sad to hear negative things about it. I was so excited to get a new math series this year. We had been using Investigations and I was just tired of it. I'll keep an open mind. I do plan to supplement with Kim Sutton stuff a lot.

10. Brendan

Brendan Fanatic

Jun 25, 2009

After years of teaching, the "new" methods, we decided to go back to the traditional methods. They would get to middle school and the Math/Sci teachers wouldn't have a clue what the kids were doing.

11. Mom2two

Mom2two Companion

Jun 25, 2009

We also had Investigations, and everyone HATED it!!! To me, it can't be worse than Investigations, no matter which series you get!

12. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jun 25, 2009

I LOVE the Everyday Math calendar program. We didn't use EM, but bought the calendar set for each grade.

13. shouts

shouts Companion

Jun 26, 2009

The funny thing is my school was looking at new curriculums and I had the chance to ask Marilyn Burns what she recommended... and she said Investigations! My jaw dropped.

Singapore is the only thing I would recommend right now - they're ahead of the curve.

14. JoviHawk

JoviHawk Rookie

Jun 27, 2009

Amen! Glad Investigations is gone!

15. Mom2two

Mom2two Companion

Jun 30, 2009

I just went into school today, and I checked into the other Math series that we are piloting. It's Math Expressions. Does anyone know anything about this curriculum? We're between that and Everyday.

16. MrsFrench

MrsFrench Rookie

Jun 30, 2009

We teach Everyday Math and I love it! There a few small things I've changed, and I've really stressed math fact drill and skill on top of it, but it's great. Difficult for parents, the kids actually understand why they're doing each step of a process.

17. Erin12170

Erin12170 New Member

Jun 30, 2009

Hated it...we used it for the past several years..hard to follow and does not give kids any samples or explanations. Progress in Mathematics is much better!!!!

18. shouts

shouts Companion

Jun 30, 2009

Believe me, anyone who think Everyday Math is a quality curriculum needs to do their research.

19. mrs100

mrs100 Comrade

Jul 5, 2009

Everyday Math has its pros and cons for sure. The younger kids seem to understand the 'why' of different math concepts, but once they get into junior high it can get really tricky to transfer the skills learned with Everyday Math to the standard skills used everywhere else. We're not seeing great results with our state testing; the format is so different. I don't mind it, the kids really like it, but it is really lacking in the math facts area.