Everyday Math

Discussion in 'First Grade' started by terptoteacher, Apr 22, 2009.

1. terptoteacher

terptoteacher Connoisseur

Apr 22, 2009

What unit are you all on in Everyday Math?
    Are you required by the district or your principals to finish the book by the end of the year?

I just started Unit 7, but we purposly went really slow--sometimes doing one lesson every two days.

Was unit 6 just really easy or did my students just hit a home run??? I have 25 students. Out of 25, I had 20 get 85% and above. I had 8 get 100%.

3. snickydog

snickydog Groupie

Apr 23, 2009

In EDM, we just took the Unit 8 test today. We go till mid-June. I'm bad and don't do many of the explorations, but it's simply because we don't have a lot of the manipulatives to do them. (No calculators, geoboards, attribute blocks, etc.) Also, we don't do as many of the games as I'd like, but I still take a couple days to do a single unit sometimes (like most of Unit 8!).

Yeah, Unit 6 was pretty straightforward... Shapes weren't too bad for my kiddos.

4. snickydog

snickydog Groupie

Apr 23, 2009

Also, too, I think the testing really varies if you have the second or third edition. We just got the third edition... The tests are much more review and cover concepts that should be secure than the second edition tests.

5. MsX

MsX Companion

Apr 23, 2009

I'm in the middle of unit 8 (just taught 8.5 today I believe - it was the one on making change). I'm in a private school, so I'm not technically required to get to the end of the book, but I always do. Sometimes I skimp on Unit 10 and do activities that I think my kids need review on (which are not necessarily the lessons in unit 10).

6. terptoteacher

terptoteacher Connoisseur

Apr 23, 2009

Our state math standards have changed and they don't have money for first grade. So , I'm going to skip most of unit 8. I've always thought that a lot of making change was beyond a lot of them anyway.

7. MsX

MsX Companion

Apr 23, 2009

Oh totally. I hate teaching change because they don't understand the concept of why we get change or how you can pay a clerk more money than you owe, let alone figuring out how MUCH change to get. In general I like EDM but sometimes they present things that I think are only confusing at this level.

8. snickydog

snickydog Groupie

Apr 24, 2009

I agree about change being too difficult! Even my highest math students struggle with change. Ugh!