Everyday Math

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by midwestteacher, Nov 26, 2008.

1. midwestteacher

midwestteacher Cohort

Nov 26, 2008

Anyone hear using "Everyday Math?" Our district decided to go to Everyday Math this year. It is so difficult for those kids that have been using traditional math for several years. Parents are having lots of issues with it too.
    Anyone use it?
    What do you think of it?

3. TeachFirst123

TeachFirst123 Rookie

Nov 26, 2008

This is our 4th year using Everyday Math. I can completely see where you are coming from right now. The transition was terrible at first, especially for that first year. The middle school teachers are also not big fans because they do not use it and when the kids come to them, they are not doing things "traditionally." Now that we are in our 4th year, I have had time to find things I love about it and things I hate about it. We have one more year before we are up for another Math adoption. I'm hoping that Everyday Math has revamped some of the things before this time comes.
    I do like how it is a spiral program and things continue to come back around throughout the year. I also like some of the techniques for solving problems because I think it gives the students a variety of problem solving strategies. I'm a BIG fan of the games included in the program.
    Things that I do not like are the assessments. I find it hard to give grades in Math without additional Math work outside of Everyday Math. This is because the Unit Test and Math Boxes are not always "Developed" problems. I also do not think that there is enough "practice" on math facts. I teach 1st grade and I am uncomfortable with the fact that my students do not have addition and subtraction facts under control unless we work on them outside of the Everyday Math lessons.
    Goodluck with this program. It does have many worthwhile things and I am usually impressed with what my students know at the end of the year, but it's a LONG road sometimes to get there!! I don't know that I would vote for Everyday Math again in our next textbook adoption unless it has some serious changes.

4. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Nov 26, 2008

I really don't like Everyday Math. When I did my student teaching in 3rd grade I had to teach math for my full 9 weeks. I just couldn't believe some of the things the curriculum did. For example, the first lesson they had for teaching division and multiplication was division story problems. It just didn't make any sense-the story problems were HARD and I followed the lesson step-by-step. WHY on earth would you teach division story problems before even teaching multiplication or division?!! I had to stop in the middle of the lesson because it was so difficult. I went back to it at the end of the unit, and the kids STILL couldn't figure them out. My cooperating teacher informed me that I was doing a great job, and that this unit was a struggle for the kids each year, because of the way the book taught it. I had to supplement SO MUCH, in addition to teaching the lessons from the book.

The teachers in the district have been trying to stop the use of Everyday Math for a while now. While I was student teaching, my cooperating teacher informed me of a new review of different math curricula, where Everyday Math received a C-.

Sorry I can't help you at all-I dislike the program so much!

5. Bored of Ed

Bored of Ed Enthusiast

Nov 26, 2008

I like the lessons and materials fine, but I am having a hard time seeing the logic of the sequence of the curriculum. The spiral thing is a nice idea in theory, but the way they do it is to just barely touch on each topic so that every topic is covered in each cycle. I feel that that doesn't give kids a chance to really absorb the important concepts.

6. TeachFirst123

TeachFirst123 Rookie

Nov 26, 2008

I completely agree with you about the spiral. Sounds great in theory, but the kids do not have time to "learn" the material before it's on to something new.

7. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Nov 26, 2008

Ditto. It is a nice idea in theory, but it seems to cause more harm than good.

8. Darkhorse

Darkhorse Companion

Nov 26, 2008

I have taught this program for two and a half years. Two in 2nd grade and half a year in 3rd. I didn't mind the program very much in 2nd grade because grades were based on proficiency levels and that is fairly easy to determine based on EDM tests and math boxes. But this year I am really frustrated with it. I have a fairly high performing class this year and they should be doing well on our district tests, but my class performed pretty badly on the last one. They are also failing their math boxes almost everyday. I started testing them on specific skills and realized that many of them do not have a solid understanding of basic addition and subtraction with regrouping. :banghead: Something the EDM manual says is not essential for the to know anyway because they can always use a calculator....:eek:

The spiral thing is kind of annoying too because it tends to throw in random things each unit. It only has one lesson on measuring with a ruler (a secure skill) and then the program throws in a lesson on circumference. In the middle of multiplication and division it throws in a lesson on map scales. Mind you, these things are not even on the end of unit tests or even on the skills list for the unit. I have started looking ahead and throwing out certain lessons to review skills that they need to know, otherwise they are just not getting it.

I think this program would be great for students who are gifted, high, or maybe even average students, but for students who are low or take longer to learn things, this program really sucks.

Just my opinion, but an opinion that seems to be agreed upon by many others...

9. midwestteacher

midwestteacher Cohort

Nov 27, 2008

The hardest thing for these kids seems to be the fact that they switched everyone to EDM. My son is in 5th grade and has been thrown into it. I can see starting the 1st graders with it and letting the kids grow up with it, but teaching one way for 5 years and then switching is stupid.

10. sundrop

sundrop Cohort

Nov 27, 2008

Midwest, that is exactly what I was going to say. Our school adopted the series in stages which made it much more successful and accepted. First and second grade started. We are now up to fifth grade with it. The classroom teachers have found some drawbacks, but overall it seems to be working ok. Next year will be the real test because we are a K-8 school and only K-5 are doing EDM. Middle school has a different textbook with a lot more drill and practice. It will be a shock to the students who are used to doing just a few practice problems and then moving on.

11. trayums

trayums Enthusiast

Nov 27, 2008

It's math on speed!
    Intro a concept---->zooom move on
    Intro another concept-----> zoooom move on
    Ugh- I'm stuck with it in my district so I have to suck it up!

12. TeachFirst123

TeachFirst123 Rookie

Nov 27, 2008

Another problem with EDM is that parents don't understand it either and this makes the homework difficult. I don't have too many problems with this in 1st grade, but every once in awhile I will have parents write in saying they didn't understand how to help their child. When I taught 3rd grade, this happened more often. Especially when it would come to teaching multiplication. Parents would teach their child the traditional way and tell them to not worry about the way on their homework.

13. stevesgirl

stevesgirl Companion

Nov 28, 2008

I agree with the previous posters. We have been using EDM for several years now, and it moves extremely fast for many kids. We are required in our district to teach one lesson a day regardless if the kids "get it" or not. We taught long division this week for two days and most of my kids barely got it, but yet we moved on! Also, you need to supplement it with drills for multiplication and division - we use Rocket Math - because EDM does not drill them on basic facts.

14. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Nov 28, 2008

In the district where I student-taught my cooperating teacher said this was a HUGE problem in the beginning. Now, parents have just accepted the fact that they can't help their children on homework sometimes. This makes a lot of the teachers unhappy because they keep encouraging the parents to complain to the district. That's really the only way anything is going to change, because the teachers have been complaining since the beginning and they obviously aren't listening!

15. teacher143

teacher143 Rookie

Nov 28, 2008

I like the games that EDM uses. With that said I do have some frustrations with the program.
    I have found that students that have language issues often don't understand what they need to do with EDM journals. Even average first graders sometimes find the wordy-ness of the math boxes intimidating.
    It seems like in EDM we put lots of emphasis on using the hundreds chart for addition and subtraction. In the real world, do we carry a hundreds chart around to help us with addition and subtraction? No, we rely on knowing our math facts.
    I highly recommend supplementing EDM with what we know our students need.
    Good luck!

16. Brendan

Brendan Fanatic

Nov 28, 2008

Its absolutely aweful. I was on the textbook selection board a few years ago for the district (most likely becuase I've taught Math, English, and History in grades 6-12) and I could not stand the program. My first problem is there is no practice for basic facts. The program assumes that the kids have them mastered, big mistake. The non-traditional methods are AWEFUL, they take longer to do, and for the most part they do not benefit most kids. Last year we decided to abandon the non-traditional methods and our 6th graders this year are doing so much better in Math.

17. knitter63

knitter63 Groupie

Nov 30, 2008

The hardest part of EDM for me is that by the time they have gotten to 5th grade,they still have not mastered their basic math facts, so EDM is exceptionally hard for my kids. The spiraling just does not work. They do not have enough practice-it moves too fast!!! AND- I am tired of parent complaints!!!