Everyday Math

Discussion in 'Fifth Grade' started by VillanovaPA, Sep 13, 2008.

1. VillanovaPA

VillanovaPA Rookie

Sep 13, 2008

Does anyone use this for their Math program? If so, have you made your own tests or used the ones in the assessment book?

Sol

3. eaglesaint02

eaglesaint02 New Member

Oct 20, 2008

My school uses Everyday Math. I use the ones in the Assessment book but am not seeing the best of results and am a little frustrated.

4. dxiechicken41

dxiechicken41 Rookie

Oct 27, 2008

We also use EDM. We use the tests from the series, and have a modified version for each unit, also...we review for 1-2 days prior to testing, with centers and study guides. They're tough tests! Don't be afraid to modify them a bit~

5. stevesgirl

stevesgirl Companion

Oct 28, 2008

We use EDM, but I make my own tests/assessments. Many of the skills are not a part of my curriculum, and so we end up skipping or modifying many of the lessons. I also use previous year MCAS (our state exam) test questions to help design questions for my tests.

6. MissHunny

MissHunny Comrade

Oct 28, 2008

My district used EDM. They have taken the assessments and slightly altered them to hit the standards we need to hit.

7. darzie

darzie Companion

Oct 30, 2008

My district uses EDM, and we do use the assessments as well. I make a study guide that has the exact same types of problems that are on the test, and we go over each problem and review the concepts before the test. Did you get the CDs that come with the program? They allow you to write your own worksheets for practice, etc. The tests are challenging.

8. dxiechicken41

dxiechicken41 Rookie

Oct 30, 2008

We also use that CD for study guides.

9. knitter63

knitter63 Groupie

Oct 31, 2008

We use EDM and we printed out the practice tests that came on the CD. We do both practice tests together in class (two days in a row) and we give the assessment from the book on the 3rd day. There has been some success, and each year the kids come to me knowing and retaining more and more of the strategies of EDM. How many years have you taught it? The first year with it was awful.

10. darzie

darzie Companion

Oct 31, 2008

This is our fourth year. I have seen some improvement. You're right; the first year was atrocious. I like the program, though I feel it goes very fast and introduces too many concepts without enough practice. The 6th grade teachers do say that the kids they are getting are well prepared, so that's a plus.