Everyday Math

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by GD2BQN, Jun 20, 2008.

1. GD2BQN

GD2BQN Comrade

Jun 20, 2008

Our district has adopted the Everyday Math program to use this school year? Any advice on the program? Suggestions? Concerns?

3. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Jun 20, 2008

Unless they are forcing you to follow it strickly, I would take what you like from it and then use your own resources as well. I loved the games, and the study links were always sent home as homework-easy to grade, parents always knew they were suppose to be done, nice routine. The workbooks are nice, because all the work is one spot, and I could assign the review boxes for morning work. Or if I wanted to give extra credit, I would say, do all the review boxes for the entire journal and give it to me by this date. Some of the kids actually did it. Some people really don't like the program, but I felt it was fine. My school was really relaxed, though, so I didn't need to be on a certain lesson by a certain day-that would have been rough. I like the variety in activities, also-it seems as though they try really hard to hit on all the intelligences. I'm actually having my old team teacher send me all the games and resources for my kids this year.

4. rabyoga

rabyoga Rookie

Jun 20, 2008

I work in a district that believes in EDM. So, we have to teach the program as it is..Basically you teach a lesson a day (unless it's a multi-day lesson). The spiral nature of the program is very foreign to most parents- I know I still have trouble with it. You won't teach things to mastery and that's hard for many parents to understand. Last year was my first year teaching (and teaching EDM) and it was VERY hard to deal with that aspect of it... Because of the spiraling, students don't know basic math facts-this makes many parts of EDM more difficult for the students. That's one thing my grade level is supplementing to the program. (That's about all we could get away anyway.):cool:

5. lovemyjob

lovemyjob Rookie

Jun 20, 2008

I agree with rab...The spiral nature of the program does not lead itself to mastery. I feel the students don't know their math facts and are too reliant on their 100's chart. Parents are often confused of the different approaches (double digit algorithm). You spend a few days teaching them one way, send HW home with the steps on how it was taught in school, and they come back carrying the one. Very frustrating... our school is also working on supplementing this program.

6. GD2BQN

GD2BQN Comrade

Jun 21, 2008

Luckily, our district wants us to use it but they've never checked to see if we're following ANYTHING step-by-step. They are VERY laid back with everything that is done in the district. Drives me nuts but I guess it's better than most districts described in other threads, huh? I'm scared that I won't understand it. I brought the manuals home to go through them and be ready by August.

7. Andrea L

Andrea L Habitué

Jun 21, 2008

We have EDM and we supplement just about every lesson. We are required to use it one more year while we look into adopting something else. Most of the lessons do not align with the grade level standards in Washington. The lessons are either too low or are too advanced for third grade (some are as high as eighth grade). We've found that if new students come into the program and haven't been learning math with EDM that they are missing concepts and don't do as well. I personally hate EDM...the parents can't help their children at home with the homelinks/studylinks and many require parents to help. I work in a low economic area so it may be different for you. Good luck. The games are fun and most of them are helpful for the kids. It is recommended that you play games 3 times a week to help the students learn their facts/concepts. EDM doesn't spend a lot of time on learning addition, subtraction, multiplication, or division facts so the games are very helpful for that.

Here is my school website so that you can look at our information on EDM. It has a lot of great resources for the games.

http://www.auburn.wednet.edu/alpac/

Good Luck!

8. GD2BQN

GD2BQN Comrade

Jun 21, 2008

Thanks, Andrea. I bookmarked your site for reference during the school year.

9. msufan

msufan Comrade

Jun 22, 2008

Agree that the spiraling is a major issue. In our school, the kids struggle to feel good about math because they never feel like they've mastered anything before it is over.

10. mmath1212

mmath1212 Rookie

Jun 28, 2008

I can understand why some people have problems with everyday math, but there is also a lot to like about the program, especially if you can use it more as a resource. I like the games and I also like the algorithms that are taught. Some of the algorithms help struggling students. Most people seem to love or hate it, but I have to say honestly it has good and bad points. You'll figure out through the year what you like and don't like. I have a lot of ideas for next year for making the lessons better. Even if you have to follow the curriculum strictly if you have enough time you can really be very creative.

11. halpey1

halpey1 Groupie

Jun 29, 2008

After using the program for three years, I have to say I truly love it. The standards are higher than the program I used previously (Investigations) and I feel the kids really enjoy being challenged.

That being said, there is a LOT to do in one lesson. I use a center model to get it all done. Plus, I always keep one center as a 'reinforcement' center that allows me to review and/or drill a specific skill if I feel the kids need it. I start out with a whole group lesson (20 min) and then 4 ten minute centers (40 minutes). I usually go over an hour, but overall, it works. There is more info, including some diagrams on my class website: www.mrhalpern.com

Scroll down under the For Teachers section.

12. halpey1

halpey1 Groupie

Jun 29, 2008

One note, after looking at the info on my site, I realized I've stated I use heterogeneous groups. I started this way, but soon found it was much easier for me to differentiate the work by using homogeneous groups. I differentiate ALL the centers easily this way.

13. snickydog

snickydog Groupie

Jun 29, 2008

What edition will you have? I've seen both the second and third, and the third is MUCH better. It just came out for this past school year. It's more comprehensive, with better support for the games and more thorough assessments.

I plan to do more of a guided math set-up with EDM.... Whole group mini-lesson, then what halpey1 described.

You'll find some kids FLY through, and some go through very.... very.... slowly.

14. GD2BQN

GD2BQN Comrade

Jun 29, 2008

Thanks! I've made a copy for myself.

15. mrsarbogast

mrsarbogast Rookie

Jun 29, 2008

Thanks for the center model. Just what I was looking for for this school year.

16. halpey1

halpey1 Groupie

Jun 29, 2008

My pleasure! I found I was getting very frustrated doing it the way it is in the book - as there was NEVER enough time... my frustration was transfered to the kids and it was a disaster... using the center method really works well for me and the kids seem to enjoy it too. :)

17. GD2BQN

GD2BQN Comrade

Jun 30, 2008

Can you share the ideas you have for next year?

18. mmath1212

mmath1212 Rookie

Jul 5, 2008

I received a messaged for the creative ideas I have for EM so here is what I have. Keep in mind I teach fifth grade. One of the things I'm going to do is go with a pirate theme and have a treasure hunt at the beginning of the year because the first lesson is a scavenger hunt. I'm also going to try to make the games into centers for students to work on certain skills. When we do a lesson on prime factorizations I got an idea from someone else on this site. You give the kids a prime number and they use different colored circles made of construction paper for example blue and red...one color represents the number that can't go down any further and it gives the kids a visual cue for the prime factorization...i know that's not very clear so feel free to contact me via e-mail for a better description...jgalvan@marionville.k12.mo.us. I also started doing the I say you say game with multiplication facts on the whiteboard...just use maybe 20 facts and have a student lead the class...you put the facts on the board and the students do the answers using I say you say...ex. 2x2, 2x3 would go like this...Leader "I say 4, you say..." and the class responds "6". The kids seem to really enjoy it. Those are just a few of my ideas. Again feel free to contact me via e-mail for more info...but realize I won't be in to school until early August.