Everyday Math

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by otterpop, Jul 31, 2014.

1. otterpop

otterpop Aficionado

Jul 31, 2014

I searched the forums for info on Everyday Math and all I found out was that it's not Common Core aligned and that many people don't like it. Any other thoughts or suggestions? Is the newest edition better? The school where I'll be working this year just paid for the entire new curriculum, all extras included.

3. kab164

kab164 Companion

Jul 31, 2014

I find that average and above math kids do well with it, but not resource or title 1. We also just got the new version, not sure if it will be any better. I don't care for it. Heavy on problem solving which is good, but weak on basic facts. Not enough repetition for a lot of students.

4. bros

bros Phenom

Aug 1, 2014

Everyday Math is common core aligned - you can find the guides by searching on Google.

5. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 1, 2014

Many packaged programs are claiming to be Common Core aligned when they have simply cut a few items and added a few lessons to what they already had.
    EDM can be a difficult program for young learners. It is a spiraling curriculum and frontloads some material without enough support for some kids to feel confident and comfortable tackling it.
    Like anything, professional educators need to know what the required standards are but also know where their students are as learners so that instruction can be delivered in ways to make the learning of the required content meaningful and long lasting. That professional 'know how' generally can not be found in any online guide or published manual claiming to be CCSS aligned.:2cents:

6. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Aug 1, 2014

I only used the calendar portion and I loved it so much. It really helped the kids and I used it for 3rd and 5th.

7. readingrules12

readingrules12 Aficionado

Aug 1, 2014

:agreed:

That is so true. When we looked for new math books, they all had CC posted on them. When we opened them up, we saw very few changes in nearly all of them. As far as EM goes, I am not a fan.

8. otterpop

otterpop Aficionado

Aug 1, 2014

Thank you! Those of you who use it, do you have to supplement often to meet the CCSS?

9. live

live Companion

Aug 1, 2014

I hardly used our Everyday Math materials, and when I did, it was heavily supplemented. Fortunately, we are replacing EM with a new program.

10. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Aug 1, 2014

I have my own program, but my school uses EM for gen ed. The teachers really dislike it because they say it doesn't offer enough practice and moves way too quickly. They are hoping to get a new program soon. I've also heard from just about anyone that uses it that it's good for above average kids only, and horrible for everyone else.