Everyday Math toolkit

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by trayums, Aug 15, 2008.

1. trayums

trayums Enthusiast

Aug 15, 2008

Hello Everyday Math teachers,
    I always struggle with all of the supplies and manips the kids need for math because they just end up getting lost or they lose a piece that they need etc. Last year they had math cubbies where they kept their Math Journal and their "tool kits" which were in the large Ziploc baggies.
    I just bought plastic shoe boxes with lids from dollartreedirect.com and thought I would use them as their math tool kids to keep everything organized. We will then keep those in the math cubbies along with their math journals (MAYBE). I might put their journals in a bin and have kids pass them out after recess. Not sure. Anyway- what do you do with the toolkits to keep them organized?
    Do you think this shoe box thing could work?:thanks::)

3. MissHunny

MissHunny Comrade

Aug 15, 2008

i don't keep everything all in one toolkit. This year I am using a bin organizer like this:

http://www.organize.com/primarybins.html

I got mine for $25 at AC Moore.

In one bin I have all the everyday math playing cards in baggies and numbered. In 2 other bins I have a sliding pencil box for each kid (the ones that were one cent at staples). They are numbered. In these kids will keep their money, fact triangles, fraction cards, etc. I will have to wait and see if their calculators fit in them. The pattern block templates are numbered and in another bin. They break easily and it didn't work out well when the kids kept them in thier desks. They keep the journals in their desks.

4. phillygirl

phillygirl Rookie

Aug 15, 2008

I do the same thing as MissHunny. I like your idea of the sliding pencil box for each kid. They don't take up much space and stack better then the ziplock bags I was using. I guess I missed out on that one at Staples. If you see any more deals like that pm me. I can't belive I let that one get by me. I don't have a staples near me, however Walmart will match the price.

5. trayums

trayums Enthusiast

Aug 15, 2008

Thanks a million- That is a great idea. Then I can actually use their cubbies for something else. I have been looking for that particular organizer and found it at target for about 50.00. This website says 91.00 Ugh!! :)

6. Ilovefirst

Ilovefirst Comrade

Aug 15, 2008

trayums, last year I did what you did with the baggies. It seemed to work okay... but not great. I had a bin that all of the baggies went into, but then they had to rummage through to find their tool kit. And that still didn't take care of the base ten blocks! I now have a shoebox size plastic container (with lid) for each table with base ten blocks in it. I was also thinking about storing table tool kits in those containers, rather than having one for every student. (since we're big on classroom supplies anyway) I've also stored all of the tape measures in one bucket and all of the calculators in another, but found that there were too many times when we needed several things and we had ALL of those buckets out ALL over the place.

I love MissHunny's idea using the sliding pencil cases. I hadn't thought of that!

7. wiscteacher

wiscteacher Rookie

Aug 15, 2008

I use bags for toolkits. I had been using gallon-sized ziplocs, with a little duct tape on the corner, and a hole punched through the tape. I hung them on self-adhesive hooks (Command brand) all lined up under my white board. I numbered all of them with the students numbers. If they needed them for math, I would just call them by group or numbers to come up and grab them for math.

This year, I budgeted in some drawstring bags from Oriental Trading to use instead, because the ziplocs only last about a year until the hooks rip through the edge. These are bags that I ordered:

Oriental Trading bags

These are the hooks I use (I use the utensil hooks):

Hooks

8. trayums

trayums Enthusiast

Aug 15, 2008

Such great ideas everyone! THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!! It's such a challenge to manage ALL of those manipulatives and when you need them almost every lesson, I get overwhelmed. Plus, I hate mess and clutter... :) I am excited to try some of these things.

9. MissHunny

MissHunny Comrade

Aug 15, 2008

if you have an AC Moore near you, they have 40% off coupons every week. They have the bin organizer for $50 as well, but just use a coupon and it's a deal!

10. trayums

trayums Enthusiast

Aug 15, 2008

Okie dokie- i have a game plan! AC Moore here I come! Thanks so much for the tips!