Everyday Math Tool Kits

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by gnsreich, Aug 7, 2008.

1. gnsreich

gnsreich New Member

Aug 7, 2008

My school district has recently adopted Everyday Math for this next school year. I have taught Everyday Math for serval years in the same grade in my old school district so I am very familiar with it and love it. I am in the process of organizing all my manipulatives. In the past I have made up student tool kits in ziplock bags with the tools used the most. Can anyone tell me what goes into a 4th grade student tool kit? I can't remember what I used to put in it and can't find a suggested list anywhere. We're having a training next week so I can ask then, but I was hoping to find out beforehand so I can get them set up.

3. janney

janney Cohort

Aug 7, 2008

4. gnsreich

gnsreich New Member

Aug 7, 2008

Thanks for the web address. I have all the manips though, just can't remember which ones I put in kits for the kids.

5. Vievers

Vievers Rookie

Aug 7, 2008

I can't remember what we (I job share) use for the manipulatives and I just saw them today! I'll try to remember to look at them again tomorrow and let you know. As far as what we use to keep everything in, we use clear pencil pouch holders. Everything fits nicely, students can see what they need to grab, and it fits great in their desks! Sorry if this is completely incoherent rambling. Today was the first day of school and my brain is mush.

6. wiscteacher

wiscteacher Rookie

Aug 8, 2008

I just finished teaching 2 years of 3rd and I'm moving to 4th, so this is what we had in our 3rd grade toolkits (I'd assume it'd be similar):
    calculator
    measuring tape
    ruler
    deck of cards
    protractor
    compass
    place value flip chart
    clock
    dice (if you can have parents donate the little resealable one serving plastic baby food containers, put a set of dice in each one. Then, you don't have to hear dice rolling on the floor/desks...they just shake the container - and they are never lost - sanity saver)
    shape template

We also keep a dry erase marker in ours. I have copies of all the game mats slid into sheet protectors in math game folders, so the kids just move the game mat that they want to use from the pocket to the sheet protector and use the marker - voila!

I have rings on all my toolkits and have them hanging from command hooks under my white board.

7. meridian

meridian Rookie

Aug 8, 2008

Do you have problems with missing/lost materials? I've wanted to do toolkits, but have heard from some teachers that many items get lost when you have them all passed out.

8. wiscteacher

wiscteacher Rookie

Aug 9, 2008

I've never lost any materials. Last year, we thought we lost a few cards from one of the card decks, but they turned up this summer under a bookshelf. I hold the kids accountable for the materials in their toolkits.

9. Vievers

Vievers Rookie

Aug 9, 2008

Okay so I checked our kits on Friday. We have two protractors (big and small), a "circle protractor," geometry template, compass, colored squares of paper, counters, multiplication table, ruler, and measuring tape. i think that's everything! Hope this helps