Everyday Math Tool Kits

Discussion in 'First Grade' started by BevAnn, Jun 11, 2008.

1. BevAnn

BevAnn Rookie

Jun 11, 2008

Does anyone have a list of all the items that should go into a first grade Everyday Math tool kit? Also, how do you go about organizing them - does each student get their own or do you have a team tool kit with enough materials for each student in that team?

3. Nugget

Nugget Rookie

Jun 12, 2008

In our school, the math kits are for individual students and they came with the math series we are using.

4. love_reading

love_reading Comrade

Jun 13, 2008

I have white plastic tubs (they are small and round that came in our science materials--kind of like tupperware w/o the lid) but I am sure other things will work. I use one tub per pair of children since most of the games call for two kids to play together. I only put in the tubs what we need for that game and they have a spot on a shelf where I store them. This worked great for me last year because kids tend to lose pieces and you can just replenish them easier than if they had their own tool kit. (my opinion) The EM teacher manual give you the list of items needed and directions for each game. Your best bet would be just to look in there. Also, the materials should come with the curriculum. I ordered small yellow foam dice so they don't make noise and extra coins. I also photocopied the number cards 0-15 on 4 different colors of cardstock and laminated them for games like Top-It. This will be my third year using them and they are still in great condition. The four different colors allows for quick sorting to make sure each child has a full set of numbers after playing a game. Make sense? Let me know if you have any other questions!

5. Kit

Kit Rookie

Jul 2, 2008

Each team has a small shelf assigned to their table. On the shelf we keep small containers with enough materials for everyone at that table. The calculators are in one container, the dice in another, etc. Everything that can be numbered and color coded is, to match their number at that table and the color of their team. Their math journals and reference books are also stored on the shelf along with slates and dry-erase markers. I agree with the above poster that keeping things color coded really helps keep things organized.