Everyday math series

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by azgenie, Jul 21, 2003.

?

Every day math series and intermediate students...Is it a good math program?

1. excellent program for primary students only

4 vote(s)
    44.4%
  2. excellent program for primary and intermediate students

2 vote(s)
    22.2%
  3. poor program for primary students only

1 vote(s)
    11.1%
  4. poor program for primary and intermediate students

2 vote(s)
    22.2%
  1. azgenie

azgenie New Member

Jul 21, 2003

:confused: I'm not real familiar with the application of this math series, but have read mixed reviews about it online from parents to educators who have evaluated the program. It is my understanding this program does not teach basic skills and fundamentals needed to succeed in higher math courses, such as pre-algebra, algebra, etc. I am concerned about using this program as a teacher of fourth-sixth grade students because it encourages the use of calculators and manipulatives. I still feel that teaching through memorization and steps is the best method to teaching the more difficult concepts so that students are able to compute on their own, without a calculator.
    How do some of you feel about this program with teaching older students math? How many of you have positive or negative experiences with this math series? Thank you for your feedback.

3. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Jul 21, 2003

I haven't used the series myself but I have heard some good things about using it as a supplement to your regular math program.

Christy

4. Amanda

Amanda Administrator Staff Member

Jul 22, 2003

I answered the poll, but I have to admit I don't much about using it with intermediate kids, so I answered that it was only good for primary students. :)

I teach kindergarten. I used it last year, and I loved it. I felt it really expected a lot more than things I had used in the past, and taught the kids in a meaningful way.

The negative things you are hearing about the program are probably partly due to the difficulties in changing to a new program. At my previous school, I taught first grade... They were getting ready to adopt it K-5, and the biggest concern was that it would be too hard for the first couple of years, until the students coming in had been taught with EM. Everyday Math does teach tough skills, and I think the methods used promote a deeper level of understanding. The controversy may also be that alternatives to solving problems are taught in addition to traditional methods. From kindergarten on, problem solving is a big component, so knowing how and why are equally important. I don't think that calculators are used as a replacement to knowing how to work the problems.

5. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Jul 22, 2003

I've been using this program in fourth grade for three years now. It definitely has good and bad points. The more I use it though, the more I like it. The first year or two is hard, because the kids coming up don't have all the skills expected. but, now I notice the kids coming from third grade are much more ready for it and it is going well. it is hard to teach some of the skills, such as division, using a new algorithim, because we are used to the standard way, but my students have honestly done much better with the programs methods. I do find that I sometimes have to skip lessons that don't apply to our curriculum in order to get to certain skills that have to be done in fourth grade for testing, such as fractions, division etc. the series has these in later lessons, but I often start them earlier in the year.

6. in the loop

in the loop Rookie

Jul 23, 2003

I used it for 3 years in first grade. I really did not like the program used alone. I had to do a lot of supplementing for basic skills. I also thought that it took for granted that students had skills that were not developmentaly appropriate for first grade. Even though I did not care for the program as a whole, I find myself using many of the games and activities to support my program now that I am teaching a different program.

7. ellie25

ellie25 Rookie

Jul 28, 2003

I used it last year for 1st grade and found it difficult to use alone. If you supplement other materials (which I did heavily) then it's okay. I did like the math wall approach and it was good for cooperative learning- it had a lot of games included and many oppertunities for working together. But at my school in the primary grades, most people did not use it alone. Number Corner is a really great supplement for primary grades no matter what math curriuclum your system is using.

8. deko9

deko9 Rookie

Aug 12, 2003

I came into my school 4 yrs. ago knowing nothing about this program and fighting teaching it all the way. Now I really like it for elementary/primary students. Our Math test scores have really gone up and the middle school teachers are seeing vast improvements. I agree that basic drill and practice skills need to be taught along with this. Separate timed-tests sessions may need to be included in your week, or more days of review for some of the BIG concepts. I agree with the 'spiral' theory, but sometimes the spiral seems very wide/broad and the really important skills that you know the kids should be mastering aren't being REPEATED enough times throughout the year. Like borrowing and regrouping for second-graders.
    All and all I think it is a good program that does indeed reach all the studetns at their various learning levels.

9. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Aug 21, 2003

I LOATHE Everyday Math! It presents skills in isolation and expects students to master them without providing enough hands-on practice. Many skills and concepts are developmentally NOT appropriate for the grades at which they are taught, even if you supposedly are only introducing those skills (why would anyone want to set their students up for that frustration???). Then there's the "Journal", which is really a workbook, which requires a ridiculous amount of time for students to complete each day and which most students can't do by themselves. If people need a pre-packaged program for teaching math, both Trailblazers and Investigations are far superior for presenting concepts with a true emphasis on problem-solving and making connections, through the use of wonderful hands-on activities and cooperative learning, and integrated with other subjects. It was FAR easier to supplement those two programs with basic skills practice as needed, than to try to make Everyday Math more appropriate for my second grade students in terms of content. But I know my approach to teaching math is very different from many, if not most, teachers.