Everyday Math Question

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by MrsFrench, Apr 13, 2009.

1. MrsFrench

MrsFrench Rookie

Apr 13, 2009

I teach third grade and use the Everyday Math program. My question is how do you grade the math boxes? I give the students a letter grade for Math Boxes and Assessments. I do not grade Home Links. Students get about the last 15 minutes in class to work on Math Boxes. As they finish, they raise their hand and I check their work. I circle problems that are wrong and star problems that are right. This way they are learning from their mistakes right away. It also makes correcting easier for me. :) Students then are able to fix the problems they got incorrect, to learn from their mistakes. I'm finding however that their grades are really better than they should be b/c their Math Box grades end up being so high. When I taught 2nd grade, I didn't grade Math Boxes, but I feel in third grade that I need more in the grade book than just assessments. My co-worker lets them fix mistakes later and then averages the two grades, but that's A LOT of work. What do you do?

3. nattles19

nattles19 Comrade

Apr 13, 2009

I only take EDM grades on some of the journal pages and Math Boxes.

How do I know which ones? I use the boxes that say "Ongoing Assessment: Recognizing Student Achievement." These boxes indicate which problems on a journal page students should be able to do.

When I know which ones I'll be grading, I make sure my students complete those Math Boxes (I let them choose one to NOT do), and that I don't give them help or a do-over.

As part of the assignment I write on the board which problems I'll be grading, so they know to do their best on those.

4. MSMath29

MSMath29 Rookie

Apr 14, 2009

I usually make up my own quizzes and use the test generator for Everyday Math. Sometimes I will skip a Math Box page and use it as either extra credit or as part of a quiz.

As a student teacher I was disappointed in the amount of errors Every Day Math has. In our Area unit the test had all the lengths and bases mislabeled. This would have really confused the kids so make sure you check them first.

Also I noticed it drew the left and right sides of parallelograms equal to the height which I didn't catch at first until one of the parents, a math professor, pointed it out boy was that embarassing.