Everyday Math Pacing

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by schoolteacher, Sep 10, 2009.

1. schoolteacher

schoolteacher Habitué

Sep 10, 2009

I have never used this math program before, and the search function in the forum is not working for me today.

Can anyone tell me the approximate amount of time that it takes to do a lesson? We are required to do one lesson a day.

We are on lesson 1.4, and a good number of my 2nd grade students are not making adequate progress on the Recognizing Student Achievement problems. From what I understand, the first lessons are dealing with review. Does this mean that my students did not master the material in grade one?

I will be very grateful for any help or insights you can provide.

3. Bunnie

Bunnie Devotee

Sep 10, 2009

I've taught 5th grade Everyday Math and that took 90mins, 1st grade Everyday Math took 50mins or so. I'm guessing 2nd grade may take 60mins or so?

Is this the first year EM is at your school? The kids may not be used to it so maybe thats why?

4. teacherpippi

teacherpippi Habitué

Sep 10, 2009

It depends on the lesson. I teach first, second and third grade EDM. Lessons can take anywhere from 45-90 minutes.

5. Bumble

Bumble Groupie

Sep 10, 2009

Schoolteacher,

The core curriculum provides one week of review to go over anything that needs extra attention. We are using corrective reading and math this year. I'm not sure how we are going to fit everything in. Unfortunately, we have to move through EDM even if the majority of the kids don't understand.

6. schoolteacher

schoolteacher Habitué

Sep 10, 2009

Thank you all for your input. The students did use this program last year.

That's what I've been led to believe also, Bumble. Is that INSANE, or what?

And I'm afraid that one week of review won't even put a dent in the lack of understanding that I am encountering. I so wish I was using corrective math. I hope that is going well for you.

7. Bumble

Bumble Groupie

Sep 10, 2009

I'm doing a lot of testing right now. My problem is how do I teach the kids who are on or above grade level when I'm using a program that is created to help the below basic kids.

I guess you could use centers to provide more practice with the EDM concepts. Good luck!

8. steftem

steftem Rookie

Sep 10, 2009

We had EDM consultants who came in to train us on this program. All grades are required, at the suggestion of the EDM consultants, to spend 80 minutes a day on EDM. And we must get through 3 lessons a week (we are in our first year of implementation).

9. Bumble

Bumble Groupie

Sep 10, 2009

I have to say the EDM games are confusing!

10. mrs100

mrs100 Comrade

Sep 11, 2009

I've been using EDM for four years now, and I spend 60 mins a day. I don't do every single piece, but I definitely do the majority of the lesson. The games, the enrichment parts, all are only done if there is time. We spend about 20 mins on math boxes, and then 40 mins on the actual lesson. It is difficult to keep moving past a concept if some kids don't get it, but that's only because it will come back again. They'll see it on math boxes, there'll be another lesson with it. If they're not developmentally ready to get it, they won't get it no matter how long you spend. It's tough as teachers to do that, but it seems to work out! :) Just a note - you'll need to supplement some kind of math facts practice. EDM doesn't provide any!

11. schoolteacher

schoolteacher Habitué

Sep 11, 2009

You're right, it is difficult. I always feel that I must have my students master a topic before I move on, especially in math, where skills are sequential. But that quote from you above is exactly what my co-teacher has been telling me, so maybe I need to put more trust in this program.

I just love this forum. Whenever I feel lost and isolated and alone with a problem, I can come here and get excellent info about how other teachers deal with the same issues I am facing.

Thank you all for sharing your insights and experiences. It was very helpful, and I appreciate it.

12. hoku625

hoku625 Rookie

Sep 12, 2009

This is my first year teaching EDM, too. Another teacher advised me to look at the goals at the beginning of each unit - beginning, developing, and secure. If it's a beginning goal, don't expect mastery. So those goals may not have been secure goals in 1st grade and you are working toward mastery this year.

I'm teaching 5th grade and I STILL have to review subtraction with regrouping, subtracting across zeros, multiplication facts because they forget!!

13. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

Sep 12, 2009

My first year with EDM, too! The games are meant to be the math facts practice. I actually like the games and use them a lot. We're supposed to do 4 lessons per week, and spend the last day on games. The trainer kept saying to trust the program. Trust the program. So they don't all get it, it will come around again.