Everyday Math HELP!

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by wiscteacher, Aug 13, 2008.

1. wiscteacher

wiscteacher Rookie

Aug 13, 2008

For those of you who use Everyday Math (I hope there are some of you out there...;)), what do you do with the Math Box pages? I've tried a few things, but neither has been great.

My first year, I tried building in a correcting time for them once a week, where we would get out red pencils and correct a few pages together, talking about how to get the answers. This worked, but then I would of course have students that fell behind and didn't have the pages we were correcting done...so that didn't work. Not to mention, we didn't always have time to build this in if we got behind with a lesson, which was inevitable (we renamed it "Every SECOND Math" in my wing of the school, lol).

So last year, I tried correcting all the Math Box pages and putting up little "flags" on the incorrect pages so the students could correct them. But, of course this took a LOT of time. I started dreading taking math journals home.

I was thinking this year maybe doing one day a week, where I would split the kids into groups according to ability (I know, tsk tsk). I could work with the lower groups to finish the pages, and the stronger math kids could check their answers and then play the EM games while the rest of us finished.

Anyway...what do you do with the Math Box pages? Please :help:!

3. MrsFrench

MrsFrench Rookie

Aug 13, 2008

Depending on the lesson, I allow 15 mins or so at the end for the kids to work on the math boxes. I circulated while they worked and helped when there were questions. I stared questions that were right and circled questions that were wrong. Whatever they didn't finish was homework along with the Home Links (which never seem to take more than 5 mins anyway). Instead of bringing Math Journals home, I had them tear out the math boxes once both sides of the page were done. I corrected and gave them a grade. I felt this review was very important. Now I teach third....not sure what you teach. Not sure if that's what I'd do in a younger grade...

4. terptoteacher

terptoteacher Connoisseur

Aug 13, 2008

I would explain the boxes and let those that could do them by themselves go ahead and work. I would then get a group of those that needed help and work with them. Those that finished early would then partner up and play a math game. When there was about 15 minuts of class left, I would get a marker and sit in the "correcting" chair. The kids would line up and I would check their math box pages staring if they were right and circling what needed to be corrected. The kids that need to correct things go back to their tables to correct it and then get back in line for me to check it again.

5. cmorris

cmorris Comrade

Aug 14, 2008

If time is short, I would tell my kids which numbers to complete. However, you have to move at a fast pace for EDM. I usually assign it as morning work and we check it quickly before the lesson. Other times I will tell them they have X amount of time to do a particular question. We check it and move on to the next one. I differentiate the questions by changing them slightly for the lower and higher kids as I walk around. This way it only takes 10 minutes or so. Keep in mind that some of the questions are review, so those should go quicker. Towards the end of the unit, some questions are about the next topic, so in my mind, it is okay if they don't get those right away.

6. mjennings

mjennings Companion

Aug 14, 2008

I would basically allow 10-15 minutes (1st grade) to work on a page. I would decide ahead of time which numbers I would take for a grade. That way i could focus on one skill being mastered for that page. I would circulate the room to see how kids are doing. As kids finished they had to step into "my office" where I would check their papers. Circle what they needed to fix and have them return to their seats. Sometimes this takes a long time, but its good to see who knows it and who doesnt. If kids were left over who were not finished, they would spend time later in the day to finish it with our para.

7. peachieteachie

peachieteachie Comrade

Aug 14, 2008

When my school used Everyday Math last year, we are using Math Expressions this year, I used the Math Boxes as independent work. My county requires us to implement Flex Groups, so when a group of students were not with me and already finished the corresponding work for the lesson, they could work on the Math Boxes. I would check them as a review, but never graded them.

8. mrs100

mrs100 Comrade

Aug 14, 2008

I use math boxes at the very beginning of each lesson. If we are on lesson 5.7, the students do 5.6 at the beginning of the period so it's a review. I usually chose 4 or 5 for them to do independently. They would bring their book to me (similar to the correcting chair) and I would star the ones that are correct. It also helped me see which students needed a review on certain lessons.

9. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Aug 14, 2008

This probably wasn't the best use of them, but I always saved them for days when I just needed a break. We did math boxes those days. Sometimes I would give extra credit for them. The kids didn't mind doing them, and we did study links for homework as their review.

10. wiscteacher

wiscteacher Rookie

Aug 14, 2008

Thanks for all the input!

I like lots of the ideas - especially the correcting chair. :)

11. dlstringer

dlstringer Rookie

Sep 4, 2008

I'm laughing, because I also used them for a "break"....LOL

12. Miss Starr

Miss Starr Companion

Sep 4, 2008

I photocopy the answer key and have it available and the kids check it themselves when they are done. They are supposed to go back and redo any problems they get incorrect or ask for help. I correct all of their Study Links each day so I just can't always correct all the boxes. I really use the slate work for on the spot assessment for a better idea of what I need to review and enrich. They really like correcting their own work.

13. JMichelleD

JMichelleD Rookie

Sep 6, 2008

This year I am trying something new to help me grade the math boxes. Because they are review and done in class, I think they are a great assessment. I copy the blank math box pages (about 3 or 4 at time) putting post-its over the ones that are not secure goals. This way I am only assessing the students on the secure goals. I give the students time in class to copy the answers from their journals to the blank copied pages I gave them. Then I grade them all at once. It's nice because I don't have to collect all the journals. Also, the parents and students can see what skills still need to be worked on. (I have math box goal correlations for several different grade levels if you are interested.) Good luck!

14. Vievers

Vievers Rookie

Sep 7, 2008

My cooperating teacher did this with her third graders and I have since stole it to do with my fourth graders. Math Boxes are done as much as possible but as it can quickly become "All day" Math many times math boxes were unfortunately skiped. Any math box that is assigned is graded so we made sure that the questions on that page are good review questions rather than ones the students will have no clue doing. Students would be given 10-15 minutes to work on the math boxes while the I walk around montioring progress. While walking around I keep 6 plastic token chips with me that each have a number on the chip. When I find a student who has answered question 1 for example correctly I give them chip 1 (I try to spread out these chips so that only one student at a table group gets one) until all the chips have been passed out. Then at the end of the time period I have students put their pencils away and pull out the red pens (students have been warned that if pencils are seen on the desks then they get a zero for that math box... I have never had an issue with students trying to cheat after this warning has been given). Then I call for the person who has chip one to come and write the answer for problem one on the Smartboard (this would work for an overhead too just copy the math box page onto a transparency). If clarification for that problem is needed it is teacher or student done depending on the depth of clarification. I continue calling up the students with chips until we have finished "grading." Each answer is a point rather than each whole problem being a point. We count up how many total points that were possible and the students write how many they got correct at the top of their page. This is were my cooperating teacher and I differ. She has them call out how many they got correct and inserts them in the gradebook as they call out their number. If they don't want to share they can tell her privately. I collect the journals fill in the percentage grade into their page and insert the grades in to the math book. I find that since they are already graded I don't have to bring them home and can return them to students by the end of the day.

15. GD2BQN

GD2BQN Comrade

Sep 7, 2008

Oh, good one, Vievers!!!

I, too, am having a difficult time getting to the MB. Also, besides MBs, what do you grade?????

16. mrs100

mrs100 Comrade

Sep 7, 2008

I use math boxes as a warm up. If we are on lesson 2.7, we start with math boxes from 2.6, that way there are no new skills in there. they work on them for about 10 minutes and then bring them to me to check (I make lists of students struggling or mastering certain skills for groups later). After I've looked over everyone's, then we start the lesson. Works pretty well!

17. Vievers

Vievers Rookie

Sep 7, 2008

I take a grade on math boxes, end of chapter tests, and either my co-teacher or myself (I job share) try to do a timed-multiplication test (we've discovered our students need lots of practice) or "Number of the Day" once a week. The Number of the Day is a form the students fill out on a number that the teacher chooses. They have to draw the number in base ten blocks write the number in words, add and subtract various numbers to work on place value, compare (<,>, =) to another number. We also take a grade on homework but that grade is more of a completion grade.

18. wiscteacher

wiscteacher Rookie

Sep 8, 2008

I don't grade homework or any math journal work. We have folders with plastic sleeves in them, and the kids do their study links with dry erase marker over the sleeves. Then I collect all the study links and don't have to copy them every year (it's FABULOUS). I check for completion, but never know how much help was given, so I don't grade.

I grade the unit assessments, and then my grade level team and I have created trimester assessments, which have only the secure goals for that reporting period. Between the unit assessments and trimester assessment, I have enough information for report cards.